Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing Chair

Moonshane

Hi all

Inspired by other designs online (yes, I ripped them off), and having just taken delivery of my dob I thought it was high time I made an observing chair. The 12" dob focuser is quite high at the zenith but at 6'3" I was still having to stoop a little and reckon that you really do see more when sitting. I wanted it to be usable for my refractor too so a low seating position was also required.

I was looking for cheap and sturdy and the left over timber I had from a pergola built in the garden last year seemed ideal.

It is sunny today so I set about making a 'Denver' style chair which is the easiest to construct and suited the materials I have.

Although it's not a professional wood turning spectacle like some of the other beauties I have seen it's functional and took about two hours to make (yes, I know it looks like it too). It is much sturdier now I have put supports on both the front and the back of the supporting main post. The height is infinitely adjustable between 13" and 32".

It does not fold up too well but the advantage of tanalised timber (and exterior grade hardwood ply) is that it can be left outside with no issues (in theory at least). I'll make a cover and put it up the side of the shed.

Well worth the effort and supports all of my 16 stone for now at least - I'll let you know if it ever crumbles. The good thing about this stool though is if it ever develops a fault, just fix it with a bit more wood etc.

Hope you like it and it inspires others to have a go.

Cheers

Shane

post-17776-133877428324_thumb.jpg

post-17776-13387742833_thumb.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

cheers for the comments guys. as always, I am thinking of modding it already - with a strip of non slip carpet mat (like a cheapo doormat - £1 from Morrisons) on the 'backrest' and an old bicycle inner tube nailed to the back of the seat. Should stop slippage - nearly went a cropper the other night!

• 2 months later...

Good job on the chair, I might have a crack at constructing one although my DIY skills leave a lot to be desired. How does the seat stay in one position without slipping, is it purely friction against the leg?

Impressive stuff Shane, just the job. Even more impressed you've not had a splinter yet. :)

cheers Russ

I'm hoping to get one someday so I can ask my wife to pull it out....ooooh errrr missus.

Great job Shane but a little bit of padding for your behind wouldn't go amiss.

spot on Mick - although my behind does have adequate padding unfortunately, I use one of the cushions off the patio chairs which works a treat. this way I can leave it out in the sun/rain etc too.

Good job on the chair, I might have a crack at constructing one although my DIY skills leave a lot to be desired. How does the seat stay in one position without slipping, is it purely friction against the leg?

cheers Tom,

have a go it does not have to be spot on. yes, it's just friction that keeps the seat in place, just be careful as you actually sit down. I have added a cheapo rubber backed floor mat (£1 from Morrisons) since the photos, with the carpet side nailed to the upright and the seat grips a lot better now.

Are these chairs comfy?

I know you can build different models, but what is the max weight they can hold?

I think mine is anyway! I will eventually make a better one which will be a lot lighter and fold away better but I can literally stand on the seat of this with no creaking noises (from me or the chair) and here's proof! I am 6'3" and 17 stone approx.

and before you even ask, no that's not my afro. :)

post-17776-133877450258_thumb.jpg

I am 6'3" and 17 stone approx.

Damn they really can take some punishment (no you aint FAT........ever thought about playing rugby?).

Nice FRO btw....................

hey who said anything about bein' FAT?? :D LOL. the doc (not Mick) reckons I have to lose at least three stones. I'd be like a stick.

actually I did play rugby (No 8) for many years - too old now at 43 - I have just had an easy life - hence my good looks shining though :)

• 4 months later...

cheers matey

it's very usable and rock solid at any height.

I will make another one at some future time but it's low priority.

as it happens I was thinking about getting one of the SW ones myself. (there's one on ebay currently but he says he won't deliver).

personally, I'd not worry about the safety issues. I read the thread at the time and it's just about being careful in the dark which we should all be doing anyway and checking the thing is secure before putting your full bum force on it.

I love my chair but it does not fold up too well as I made it with the intention of it being my garden chair not to travel with and it was just what I had lying around so cost pretty much nothing.

go for it! best thing I ever made in terms of observing comfort - seriously good and allows you to snuggle down in comfort and observe. I leave it outside all the time (hence the removable cushion). just make sure you turn the cushion over if it's dewy while observing! funnily enough the cushion makes you feel a bit warmer.

Archived