Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from Carlisle

Lodestar

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Valvenus. I was born not too far from you 6 miles NE of Oldham.. We had a grat view of Jodrell on the horidid you

did you ever go saddleworth steve  went up there one night a few months ago couldn't believe how nice the sky was up there :smiley:

Hi Steve and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us, you're right that all searches point to the forum!! :grin: Sounds like you've seen the sots of skies most of us can only dream of.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

did you ever go saddleworth steve  went up there one night a few months ago couldn't believe how nice the sky was up there :smiley:

I have spent lots of time in Saddleworth as I grew up within walking distance.  Always put mind mind of a miniature Scotland in places. The very reason I learned to navigate was to have compete freedom to roam in this area.

Hi Steve, welcome to the group from the other end of the county. I have an interest in navigation too, mostly on the hills but haven't done much sailing- though having done some star gazing out in the ocean long ago I remember one problem was they keep moving around!!

Joe

Hi Steve and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us, you're right that all searches point to the forum!! :grin: Sounds like you've seen the sots of skies most of us can only dream of.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

There can be so many stars visible it is hard to find the reference stars at first. The milky way makes the hair on your neck stand up. Its great to see such a warm welcome here.

Hi Steve, welcome to the group from the other end of the county. I have an interest in navigation too, mostly on the hills but haven't done much sailing- though having done some star gazing out in the ocean long ago I remember one problem was they keep moving around!!

Joe

For years I yearned to sail under a clear sky,only to realise clear skies equal no wind equals no sailing ugh...

I solved this one with trade winds that blow with the seasons. If I was out there now I would yearn for a large rock and a nice dob.

Welcome aboard.

I was born and spent my first 18y not far from a certain football ground in Carlisle :

Built my first telescope there,

(turns out it was a Galilean, I didnt know that at the time, I had nicked the negative eye lens from my dad's opera glass, dunno what he was doing with that I never found any opera there !)

Watch out for the River Pettril, it used to have a habit of flooding :(

Hi Steve,

My paternal blood line has it's roots in Shaw. My late father, although not a stargazer as such, talked about the night sky he grew up with on the moors.

I can't think of any better way to see the stars than from a boat in the middle of an ocean. Wall to wall horizon... wow!

Why am I reminded of "Life of Pi"? :)

Hello Steve and welcome to SGL!!

Your avatar suggests you may be one of the old gaffers on here LOL...

Welcome aboard.

I was born and spent my first 18y not far from a certain football ground in Carlisle :

Built my first telescope there,

(turns out it was a Galilean, I didnt know that at the time, I had nicked the negative eye lens from my dad's opera glass, dunno what he was doing with that I never found any opera there !)

Watch out for the River Pettril, it used to have a habit of flooding :(

Yes the local rivers still flood. One day I hope to make a telescope too. Dob or refractor that is the question.

Hi Steve,

My paternal blood line has it's roots in Shaw. My late father, although not a stargazer as such, talked about the night sky he grew up with on the moors.

I can't think of any better way to see the stars than from a boat in the middle of an ocean. Wall to wall horizon... wow!

Why am I reminded of "Life of Pi"? :)

My Mum is from Shaw. It's a small world

As far as films go I think of Only two came back.

Thanks all  

A warm welcome to SGL Steve. It's good to see another member from Carlisle, there are a number of Cumbrians

on the forum now.

I hope you enjoy it here, you will certainly make  lots of friends, and find all the help you need too.

More knowledge here than in any other single place in the country :grin: .

One sad note, I think our Football Team is Division 2 bound.

Still faint some  hope, but it's looking Grim.

Best Wishes :icon_salut: .

Ron.

A warm welcome to SGL Steve. It's good to see another member from Carlisle, there are a number of Cumbrians

on the forum now.

I hope you enjoy it here, you will certainly make  lots of friends, and find all the help you need too.

More knowledge here than in any other single place in the country :grin: .

One sad note, I think our Football Team is Division 2 bound.

Still faint some  hope, but it's looking Grim.

Best Wishes :icon_salut: .

Ron.

Thanks Ron not a soccer fan myself but hope to cross scopes sometime.

Hello from the other side of the hills. I grew up near Brampton so I count myself as a Carlisle ex-pat. You're lucky to have such a short hop from Town to the genuinely excellent skies around Geltsdale.

I think I remember geltsdsale from a stargazing live episode. Must have a look

Archived