NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Florida Newbie

SarasotaSean

Hello folks. I'm getting into the whole Astronomy thing at mid-life, and am pretty stoked.  This forum has been super helpful and I hope to some day add valuable info on one area of the hobby or another.  My peeps call me a Geek now that I have a stargazing addiction... I don't mind :-) I observe the night sky quite often, because there are so many clear nights here in Florida... Not the best sky for stars due to low altitude though.  ( I envy all you folks in star rich areas)  The 8" Dob has been great but has only aroused my appetite without bedding her down.  I sold my boat and threw some of the $ towards a 16" Lightbridge... I gotta tell you that I'm pretty geeeeeked and cannot wait to resolve some of the dim-fuzzies I see in the 8" 

8"  Orion Dob

16" Lightbridge  on the way!

Hi and welcome to the forum. You might notice a 'slight' difference between the 8" and the 16"!  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  In addition, I can officially now diagnose that you are a sufferer of what has been commonly termed  "Aperture Fever" and although  the 16" will certainly provide you some short term pain relief, you know the symptoms are going to reappear soon after. On the bright side, you are among fellow sufferers here on this forum and we most certainly share in your pain! :grin:  :grin:  :grin: 

Wishing you clear skies for your new scope and hope that you enjoy your stay here too.

James 

Hello and welcome!

Wow, you made a huge steps to start with, specially buying 16". As myself, I'm still newbie here and in the astronomy field.

I have an  8" reflector, still working on it to observe better. There's a lot to learn and I believe you made the perfect choice to learn here.

Lovely people and educated community.

Welcome again. :)

Hello folks. I'm getting into the whole Astronomy thing at mid-life, and am pretty stoked.  This forum has been super helpful and I hope to some day add valuable info on one area of the hobby or another.  My peeps call me a Geek now that I have a stargazing addiction... I don't mind :-) I observe the night sky quite often, because there are so many clear nights here in Florida... Not the best sky for stars due to low altitude though.  ( I envy all you folks in star rich areas)  The 8" Dob has been great but has only aroused my appetite without bedding her down.  I sold my boat and threw some of the $ towards a 16" Lightbridge... I gotta tell you that I'm pretty geeeeeked and cannot wait to resolve some of the dim-fuzzies I see in the 8" 

8"  Orion Dob

16" Lightbridge  on the way!

Welcome Sean, I've just got back from a month in Central Florida and I think we only had about two or three nights that weren't clear. Shame I never take a scope with me :shocked:  

Hi Sean, I add my warm welcome to that of all  the other guys in your Welcome thread.

Seems you are as near to Heaven as it's possible to be. A 16" light bucket, and the skies to support it.

Boy, are you going to some Whooping and Hollering :grin:

There's nothing wrong with Aperture Fever, the bigger the better, just as long as it presents no problems as far as handling it,

but I'm sure you have considered that factor.

Enjoy all the wonderful objects that are available to you, and we will appreciate your reports in the Deep Sky Observing Section

once your excitement quiets enough to permit it :grin:

Enjoy the scope, and the Forum too, we are pleased to have you.

Ron.

Archived