Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEQ6 v's HEQ5

johnrt

I was lucky enough to pick up a used NEQ6 at a very reasonable price, and before I move on my old mount to cover the cost I thought I'd sit them side by side to show the difference between the mounts.

I was shocked not at how much bigger but how much chunkier and heavier the NEQ6 is over the HEQ5.

The NEQ6 polar scope cap got lost in transit, so if anyone knows where I can get a replacement I'd be very grateful!

13166349593_820f668cc9_c.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer the HEQ5 for its lighter weight if the extra load capacity isn't needed, for me the difference is reasonable doddle to move versus bit of a heft.

My NEQ6 has gone to another home along with my C11, but my 8 inch SCT is plenty of fun on the HEQ5. Two nice mounts, but I had to cut down to one :-o

The one that the missus can also move won! :D

The HEQ5 coped well enough but at 900mm with a small chip camera it's deficiencies showed up especially as things got high up around the meridian. The NEQ6 is a beast in comparison!

Now, I would get the g/f to even have a go at shifting either, so I may as well go for the biggest I can afford!!

I'm another one who prefers the HEQ5. If I didn't need the extra load capacity I wouldn't have sold it.

Both the NEQ6 and the HEQ5 performed identically but the HEQ5 was much easier to transport.

I live in an Apartment on the second floor with a balcony that is connected to the building with a steel frame suspension.

When we bought the appartment in 2009 it still had an old solid concrete balcony and the CG-5 Mount at that time performed excellent.

But when it got replaced with this New larger balcony during a renovation Project in the end of 2010 / early 2011, my CG-5 Mount suffered a lot due to vibration. I could cope with it during planetary imaging, but visual was a nightmare at times.

It got me so frustrated that I ended up selling everything later in 2011 and taking a break in the hobby. As we didn't have a car at that time. Driving to a darksite wasn't an option either. :(

And I also became father for first time in july 2011. So ofcourse my full attention went into that. :)

So now, trying to get back into the hobby I didn't want to take any chances and went with the heaviest Mount I could afford and ended up with the NEQ6 Pro. The weight difference makes all the difference as so far it stands rock solid on my balcony! Huge difference compared to my old CG-5! And ofcourse the difference in sound is huge as well. As the CG-5 was noisy as hell.

Well nice and clear, so the NEQ6 is about to get it's first test run, no chance of any serious imaging with the great big spotlight in the sky, but we'll see how it tracks and guides out on some 10/15/20 minute subs. Going beyond the 10 minute mark was tricky on the HEQ5.

The proof of the pudding is in the shape of the stars, here's a close crop of a couple of hours of stacked 10 minute subs. As expected the NEQ6 outperforms the HEQ5 with ease. It's no more accurate on slewing, but it handles the 6" RC & ST80 (approx 8 kg) combo with ease over it's little bro.

post-5640-0-79237500-1394932046_thumb.jp

Great mount for the price and as you have now found out rock solid. I suggest you change the dec locking bolts for the substantial upgrades.

You can source them on fleabay. Massive plus with these mounts EQmod.

cheers

Steve 

Hi ,

I have my EQ5 for field trips, but i plan to build an observatory(modified shed with pier) this summer,

so I am pondering the question of which mount at the moment.The opinions are noted, but I am assuming that

the EQ6, as a fixed item would be the unanimous choice.

Thanks

The eq6 is bigger but the photo does make it look even bigger by being closer to the camera. ? ??!. as to weight the eq6 while heavy is moveable. At a recent event (Calke abbey) I had to move my rig and managed to carry it with a 10"OO and counterweights in one go over 150m. (by the way does anyone have a spare hernia belt!!!?).

One other comment however is that the heq5 has better motor access, as such the eq6 is harder to adjust the motor gear meshing as it has to be done blind.

The eq6 is bigger but the photo does make it look even bigger by being closer to the camera. ? ??!. as to weight the eq6 while heavy is moveable. At a recent event (Calke abbey) I had to move my rig and managed to carry it with a 10"OO and counterweights in one go over 150m. (by the way does anyone have a spare hernia belt!!!?).

One other comment however is that the heq5 has better motor access, as such the eq6 is harder to adjust the motor gear meshing as it has to be done blind.

The HEQ5 looks like it's a way behind the NEQ6 in the photo due to the depth of field on the camera, but honest they were very close to each other!!

The HEQ5 looks like it's a way behind the NEQ6 in the photo due to the depth of field on the camera, but honest they were very close to each other!!

I agree there is quite a difference, no offence intended.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't put anyone off buying an HEQ5 in preference to a NEQ6, if you look at the motor/gearing specs they are identical and therefore their goto performance must be the same if they are adjusted to the same degree of accuracy.

My point - if you don't need the extra weight carrying capacity then the HEQ5 is a fine choice.

Motor/gearing details here - http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/reqindex.html

P.S. one thing that stands out to me from the photo is that the only physically larger part of the mount seems to be the motor housing.

I'm more than happy with my HEQ5Pro , easily goes to 4 minutes unguided and 25-30 mins with the Synguider , more than enough for DSLR work.

I can carry it out onto the patio easily , even when mounted on the Berlebach Planet with the Mak180Pro on top , not something I'd try with the NEQ6.

If you have a permanent set-up then the 6 would probably be the choice but for 'mobile' work the 5 wins hands down ...  :smiley:

My NEQ6 Pro has arrived. But I have an issue with the power cable. It seems there is a problem with the power plug in the mount . The power goes off sometimes. Might be a slack joint.  I have read threads where people had the same problem.

My NEQ6 Pro has arrived. But I have an issue with the power cable. It seems there is a problem with the power plug in the mount . The power goes off sometimes. Might be a slack joint. I have read threads where people had the same problem.

Yep I had same problem with my NEQ 6 pro and that sent me down the path if sorting the problem out and I put a thread in the DIY section in here about how I did it. Link below :)

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?/topic/205023-NEQ6-Power-Socket-Mod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P.S. one thing that stands out to me from the photo is that the only physically larger part of the mount seems to be the motor housing.

I've not seen them side by side in the flesh, but I'd assume all the main bearings in the 6 are more substantial than in the 5, hence the greater carrying capacity.  I can just about move the 6 plus the extended tripod (but without OTAs or counterweights) through two doorways and down a couple of steps to get it outside.  Even the mount head alone is a bit of an awkward struggle, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has problems moving heavy objects around.  Overall I am very happy with it, but going to belt mod and tune-up mine over the summer.  Imaging performance is pretty good except for the altitude adjusters for PA - even with the replacement bolts it is just a poor design for use above 50 degrees N/S.

Archived