Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope choice down to 3 (at the moment)

Okay, after all the warm welcomes in the Welcome Thread, I decided that I probably get one daft newby question about choice.....and so here it is.

I have been looking at various telescopes and trying desperately to keep within my budget - which is really going to have to be around £150

Have looked at the following:

Skywatcher Explorer 130 - available in Jessops for £99.99

Skywatcher Exploer 130P - FLO - £165

Skywatcher Explorer 130M - FLO £165

Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145P - FLO - £120

While the 130 is cheap and I can pick it up at lunch, I am wondering whether I would "outgrow" it more quickly than the others. The P and M versions although a little more expensive have a larger primary mirror than the 1145P, which I can only presume is going to be better! And if the motorised version is the same price, and comes with a Barlow Lens (which may be debateable as to whether that is a great thing or not), I seem to be leaning towards the 130M from FLO.

I have been reading around the web, and this site, and all of the scopes review well so I doubt there is that much in it for a starter scope, for backgarden watching with the kids and maybe a few trips out into the countryside in the future, once I am sure I know what I am doing am unlikely to drop it down the side of a hill....or lose the kids....which would obviously be worse.

So I guess I am thinking, is the addition of a motor and a bigger parabolic mirror worth the extra £65 over the standard 130, or would the 1145 be a good compromise to save some cash?

I believe the EQ-2 stand is better on the 130P/M than perhaps the EQ-1 on the 1145 but, again, wonder whether there is that much of a difference in terms of stability/ease of use?

Thanks in advance - and I will try and make sure I ask more interesting questions in future!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mount on all of them is a weak point. The EQ2 is a lot better than the EQ1 but it will not be stable enough for photography so this will have to be a visual only instrument. If that is the case then why not consider a dobsonian or altaz mount. Personally I prefer equatorials anyway in which case I would avoid the longer tube models so if you do want an equatorial I would consider the 114 or 130P.

I personally would say not to use motor driven mounts to begin with, otherwise any of the other options are good choices for what you mention.

Though you might rapidly want to use a drive. It is just so useful to be able to walk away for five minutes and come back to a scope that still points where you want it. So expect to get a drive fairly soon as one of your first upgrades.

Though you might rapidly want to use a drive. It is just so useful to be able to walk away for five minutes and come back to a scope that still points where you want it. So expect to get a drive fairly soon as one of your first upgrades.

This is true, but when starting out they can be a big distraction and can take away from actually using the scope. 

This is true, but when starting out they can be a big distraction and can take away from actually using the scope. 

Not sure I entirely agree. Goto drives could be described distractaction. But a simple RA drive is non-intrusive to the viewing experience. It simply holds the object in the eyepiece while the RA is locked. Admittedly the user would have to know about very rough polar alignment but its no biggie. The benefits for planetary viewing are huge. Or even being able to hold an object so friends and family can take a look as well.

If it is down to 3, why have you listed 4 possible scopes ? :eek: :eek: :eek:

If the scope is not a dobsonian mount where you are holding the scope to move it around, then the twiddly bendy things are a pain to use without motors to perform the tracking while you do the observing.

If you went for a dobsonian I would suggest waiting for a 150P(L).

Problem after that is that you,and anyone, will want at least 2 extra eyepieces and a collimator within 2 months, so build that into expectations.

Thanks for the responses....and yes, there were 4 scopes, but I was kind of seing the 130P and M as the same scope (other than the motor) so it is sort of 3.....possibly? I said it was a daft question.....

I can see what is being said about the motor, but it is very different from a GOTO device, so perhaps not too much of a cheat for a new user...and at the same price, it would seem a no brainer to got for the M if the 130P/M was the final choice.

Eyes pieces are next on my reading list.....as is now collimation....

Thanks again!

Mark

The EQ1 and EQ2 can be frustrating at times. You have to remember to flip the scope when moving from one side of the sky to the other or else the flexi slow mo controls snag each other. A dob or AltAz mounted scope is so much nicer to use. But then there is no motor option at all, if that's what you fancy.

Thanks for the responses....and yes, there were 4 scopes, but I was kind of seing the 130P and M as the same scope (other than the motor) so it is sort of 3.....possibly? I said it was a daft question.....

I can see what is being said about the motor, but it is very different from a GOTO device, so perhaps not too much of a cheat for a new user...and at the same price, it would seem a no brainer to got for the M if the 130P/M was the final choice.

Eyes pieces are next on my reading list.....as is now collimation....

Thanks again!

Mark

The motor on these mounts is in no way a cheat :)  Absolutely gives you no help at all other than hold the object stationary in the eyepiece.

If it was me, I'd put all my money directly into the best mount that I could find. In this instance EQ2 and then think about drives etc down the road.

You don't need drives and electronics to enjoy the wonders of the night sky and if they are included in your price range then there will be a corresponding drop in quality in the other components.

Although if in the UK I'd also look to the used market UK Astro Buy and Sell springs to mind and EQ3-2 150 telescope setups will be appearing around your budget.

Worry about accessories later.

Just me,

Richard

Thanks for the responses....and yes, there were 4 scopes, but I was kind of seing the 130P and M as the same scope (other than the motor) so it is sort of 3.....possibly?

Mark

Is it the same scope though? I always thought that the 130M was a motorised version of the 130, rather than the 130P.

Isn't that why the 130M and 130P are the same price? You get the choice of a motor or a parabolic mirror.

So you could get a 130P and add a motor as another option.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Marky1973......Hi,  If your open to suggestion, Forget that list and save another £35?

You mention a budget around £150, yet you list the 130P at £165.oo

That for me is the better scope, from that list, because of the larger aperture, but an extra £35.oo will get you a 6" 150P  telescope, which will be less hassle for a beginner, and will offer more benefits!

You don't mention your interests?  Deep Sky Observation (DSO) Astro photography, Star gazing, all have their merits and requirements.

My recommendation is for the Skywatcher Explorer 130P at £165, but better to save an extra £35 against that price and get a Skywatcher "Skyliner" 6" telescope delivered for £200.oo

First Light Optics and Pulsar Optical supply these scopes, but check their prices, one includes p&p so a bit cheaper?

I also started out with the 130p on EQ2. It's quick and easy to set up, but the mount is right at the limit of its weight capacity. As is its fine if you don't extend the legs, which works well with the Newtonian design and a stool to sit on. You will get some shake when focussing, but it settles down in seconds at most. Once you add a 9x50 finder and better EPs, the weight is too much.

I added the RA drive as I got the planetary imaging bug. For visual it was only really useful for holding a target in place whilst I wandered off for a brew. It's much easier to use the fine controls and clutches for visual.

I've now upgraded to an EQ5 and have converted the EQ2 to Alt-Az for use with a smaller scope. If your interest is purely visual, I'd suggest saving the extra few £ for the 150P dob. After all, aperture is king :)

How old are your children.

How much are you prepared to hump and dump a scope around to use it.

How easy is it to take it from storage point to garden.

These things can be way bigger then pictures show.

So that boot needs to be big enough to fit scope and kids in the car if going to a dark site.

If you exceed your budget with the scope you will blow it on accessories, can the budget take that, though to collimate a reflector you can make your own collimation cap and there is plenty free software to help with star charts and the provided eye pieces are good enough to start the hobby with.

Another for your list

Heritage 130p £128

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/heritage/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html

Though this is a useful read with scopes suggested by members.

A few in budget and the evostar 90 easy in budget on a AltZ3 tripod.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/evostar/skywatcher-evostar-90-az3.html

Take your time pesky clouds at the moment anyway :-)

I read the posts here and wonder

some are against the goto and others in favour.

I can point out the moon and I think I once saw the sun but I am told I was mistaken anyway that was a long time ago other than that there are bright dots in the sky

I know there are shapes you can make out but that's it

now I have bought a goto scope and that will show me which direction and where in relation to other stars different planets are.

granted I could sit and study charts whilst waiting for cloud to break, but goto will be a fun learning method as I get to look at the stars for real

I think for busy people who want an introduction the goto s are fine and if once you use them and you hit the limits you can sell them to a new astronomer and then invest in the more expensive kit.

I just want to look in awe at space but I have a feeling that that's how all of you started, then came the photograph to show others what you saw and that starts a whole new journey into your bank account.

as far as first scope every sub £500 scope has so many reviews online with a critique that sends you up to the next hundred pound that's what makes websites like this so invaluable its learned but free advice from people who have been there.

Yep, definitely, been an eye opening read going through these posts.

@RichieP - you (and others) are right - I was mistaken with the 130P and M, they are clearly not the same telescope, so glad I am listening to the experts!

@Happy-Kat - kids are 6 and 8 and happy to hump a telescope around a bit and have a good sized boot!

And, sorry for not being clear - I am just interested in visual at the moment, so the ability to take images is not an issue.

My main hobby is home cinema, and that is a hobby that has a habit of steering you in the direction of a £600 amp when a £200 is what you were looking for.....I can see this happening with the telescope!

LIke the look of the Dobsonians now. I presume they are a bit heavier to lug around than a scope that can be taken off the mount? Are there any differences in stability, or are the Dobsonians heavy enough for that not to be an issue?

Thanks for all the suggestions......and now I want to save up a bit more and like the look of the Skyliner 200P (£279) - although the 200P is a more serious contender. Storage and lugging are probably the main issues to think about.

More reading to be done!

Thanks again everyone, much appreciated!

For visual use the Skyliner 200P is an outstanding telescope. Big enough for deep sky use, long enough focal length for planetary views, light enough to carry in one go, not too fussy with eyepieces. Finding things is no bother either, though a Telrad or Rigel QuikFinder will be a helpful addition, as will a Cheshire collimating eyepiece.

I don't get some of these comments .....  " GoTo"  is a "cheat / distraction"  ..... compared to and from what ?   :shocked:

Standing in the cold for hours on end and maybe finding one object isn't everyone's idea of enjoyment !!

Its all astronomy and virtues are found in all observing methods.

You should get what you prefer and most of all what you can afford,  especially if your just starting off

LIke the look of the Dobsonians now. I presume they are a bit heavier to lug around than a scope that can be taken off the mount? Are there any differences in stability, or are the Dobsonians heavy enough for that not to be an issue?

The dobsonian mount is stable due to its "inboard" bearing design. Inboard means the scope sits between the bearings rather than cantilevered outside as in a German mount (EQ). The very design of EQ German mounts makes them prone to vibration and instability. The Dob mount is the opposite. It's simple inboard design makes it extremely stable and the material (wood) dampens vibration much faster than any metal. The only way to make a German mount stable is to make it massive and heavy. Unless a German EQ is oversize and heavy it won't be stable.

Nothing is more detrimental to observing than a mount that wobbles about like a jelly.

I am a newbie but I can definitely recommend the Dob especially if you want to do visual astronomy. They are incredibly quick and easy to set up and they are very stable. You get a lot more scope for your money too because you are not paying for an expensive mount. You'll have no problem moving it about - I'm a weak 5' 2" lady and I can carry the larger 200p around easily with the tube and base separate and the 150p is lighter.

150p will be a great scope but if you can stretch your budget just a little bit more the 200p is just fantastic. If your not interested in astrophotography then you really shouldn't consider anything but a Dobsonian in my opinion  :smiley:

Archived