Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope choice down to 3 (at the moment)

Thanks Pig, Swampthing and ecw more great food for thought......

So now contemplating either the 130P EQ-2 or saving up for the Dobsonian 200P - head and heart have very different ideas.....so perhaps some more reading is in order before I get too carried away!

One last question about the Dobsonian (and another stupid one I am afraid) - when set up and viewing, is it comfortable to use? I'm 6ft, but can't really get an idea of scale from the pictures.

Otherwise, I need to learn about eyepieces and check out some books next.

I know I keep saying it, but thanks to everyone, what a great forum!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you get a decent chair it can be very comfortable viewing - I'm 6ft too and don't have too much of a problem with my Dob - although it is a bit bigger than the 200p. Have you considered the Orion XT range? They have a push to system - it's basically go-to without the motors.. I really like it on mine. They're pricey new, but I got an excellent deal on fleabay.

Is there a group local to you that you could go out observing with before you buy a scope? People will have all sorts set up and most are very generous in letting people have a look through and giving advice.

I'm part of a group on Salisbury Plain which is not too far away (spogastro - have a google) - you'd be more than welcome to come along - although I'm sure you'll have one closer

Kev

I would not go for any of those I would try and save a little more for a dobsonian mounted one ,whilst waiting to save it it's a great time to leRn the constellations and find your way round ,as getting a scope is the easy part finding things is another like most , get the scope have a look at the moon and the great orion neb ,and may be the odd planet them boom where's every thing else ?.the dob mounted ones are a lot more of steady the mount will wobble all over the place

Pat

Is there a group local to you that you could go out observing with before you buy a scope? People will have all sorts set up and most are very generous in letting people have a look through and giving advice.

Cotswold AS are hosting observing evenings in Montpelier Gardens, Cheltenham each clear night of National Astronomy week 3 - 7th March and our normal monthly meeting is on the 8th in Shurdington. There should be plenty of telescopes about to play with. Details on the website http://cotswoldas.org.uk/cas/

One last question about the Dobsonian (and another stupid one I am afraid) - when set up and viewing, is it comfortable to use? I'm 6ft, but can't really get an idea of scale from the pictures.

I think that the 200p has about the same height as my 250px - and it's very comfortable to use. I got a cheap drummers stool, which is adjustable height, though to be honest I don't adjust it that much. You can just sit next to it and view.

I also use a Heritage 130p - the minidob. If you'd a stable table, or are will to sit next to it on a slightly lower chair, they're good, and very popular too - though if you've the storage space and can move the 200p to where you want to observe easily, well, more aperture wins.

As for books - try "Turn left at Orion". It's a good introduction!

Thanks Pig, Swampthing and ecw more great food for thought......

So now contemplating either the 130P EQ-2 or saving up for the Dobsonian 200P - head and heart have very different ideas.....so perhaps some more reading is in order before I get too carried away!

I know I keep saying it, but thanks to everyone, what a great forum!

Some folk use a Water-butt stand to raise the telescope.  On a 200P you would need one that supports the Skyliner base which is @ 52cm. Some shops seem to measure the base of the Butt stand, rather than the top. Its an option I want to get, but postal costs to Scotland could cost as much as the item itself. I cant get the 52cm in my county? Next time I travel South, its on my list. I use something that's similar, but on mine the base of the support is narrower that the top. I'd like that to be the other way round. But the drum stool works, so do the adjustable Ironing stools.

EDIT*  The Skyliner 200p stood vertical, the centre of the eyepiece is @ 115cm (45.5") [ 3' -  9 1/2"]

Marky, I think you are going the wrong way completely with the choices you detail.  You should get a 8 inch Dob, as RikM mentions above.  They are superb value for money, idiot proof, easy to care for, have a great aperture/cost ratio, and get you to learn the sky.

Hi Mark

I had one of those wobbly little EQ mounted scopes for many years and though it provide pretty good service I wouldn't recommend one to anyone else.

My advise, save up get this

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html

Also I would get a Water Butt stand, saves a lot of back ache, that's if you go for the Dob. I've got one and they are really good, I've also go the skymax 127 SLT GoTo. Of the 2 of them I prefer the Dob.

Thanks again everyone! Thinking I am settling on a Dobsonian now, certainly sounds like the right way to go. Turn Left at Orion is ordered and I think I bit more reading of the site and that book will help cement that decision in my mind.....I'm terrible when it comes to new things and want to get started straight away...but I am trying to get out of that frame of mind!

@Rik, I think I do need to try and get to a meeting - just not sure if I can make those dates (works/school/kids/writing etc), but will check calendars and see if I can make it - if not there is always next month's meeting - will certainly spend a bit more time on the club website!

And @Kirkster - "Idiot Proof" - do you know me? :eek::grin: I think that might be me sold! :grin:

Thanks again to everyone - this has been a rapid, but valuable, introduction, can't thank you all enough!

Hi Again......thanks for all the advice once more, been a great help getting through the amount of decisions to be made!

Have settled on the Skyliner 200p Dobsonian as Phil Burton's offer seems pretty good from what I can see! And I have been looking a lot. As exciting as the imaging world seems to be, baby-steps are in order, and I just want to learn the night sky and share that with the kids for now!

I have a copy of Turn Left at Orion on Order.

I was also wondering about accesories and looked at the following:

A basic Barlow to get me going

A basic Collimator

And what seems to be a cheap 5mm eyepiece (from the prices you can pay)

yes the budget is blown, but I managed to get some extra cash together, so thought I could get a few accessories and the better scope to start out.

Does this sound like a sensible plan, or should I wait before getting the extra eyepieces/collimator? Would I regret getting these cheaper tools and want to upgrade sooner rather than later - I could jsut get used to the scope and then buy a better Barlow etc.

I realise buying anything like this is full of "what if's" and "buts" - but would greatly appreciate any views - I know I have to make my own choice eventually of course!

Thanks as ever!

I've not been around long enough to post a review, but I ordered the scope from Phil Burton this lunchtime, he rang me within an hour to check I would be around for delivery on Wednesday. Cracking service. I thought I was looking at at least a week for delivery.......very happy, and excited.....

And it arrived today, nice meaty looking device......have built it and got it ready for when we get some clear sky, but I did have one more daft question, which arises from my slightly [removed word]/perfectionist nature.

After building and removing the dust cap, and then looking down the scope, I noticed the primary mirror appears to have collected some dust and possible come small scratches/hairs (difficult to tell with a quick glance. While I guess we can't stop dust and bits getting down such a large scope, is this a major issue? I've read on here that it shouldn't be unles it gets really dirty, and perhaps I am just expecting too much perfection - presumably this won't affect the viewing with the scope?

It's not an easy thing to clean I guess, and have no real urge to try doing anything like that.

Cheers

Mark

Dust and a few marks on the mirror probably won't affect the views to any great degree. Trying to clean them off and stuffing it up might :eek: I would leave it alone and enjoy it :)

Cheers Rik, I am sure I am just being paranoid - get like that with anything new (mild OCD) - just need to get over it and get outside......when there are no clouds.....will be checking the forecast hourly from now on!

You should feel under no pressure, but when threads come up like this you will find a friendly pressure from a 'dob mob'.  This is not scary or intimidating it has some sense when you realize the following.  

If on a budget these scopes offer the most aperture / £.  This is important as you may feel the need for more aperture on the back of a new purchase much too early on and end up spending more in a the short term by selling your original purchase and buying another scope (maybe a dob :grin: )

200mm of aperture is not something you will screw your nose up at and will offer you plenty of nice resolved views, giving you these rewarding sights will make you forget about aperture fever.......at least for a long long time.  (you may eventually get a bigger dob :grin: )

The weight of a dob with a 200mm mirror will not break your back or motivation to move it and set up as much as possible. I move my 254mm aperture dob around all the time (including stairs) and this for me is fine, 2 inches bigger again for me would have been too much weight.  I am sure this will be well inside your lifting weight limit.

You will love the simplicity of a Dobsonian, it position invites you to relax on a chair and get into the eyepiece.  There is much to be said for being sat comfortably close to the tube manually tracking a newly discovered view. Its a pleasure.

John Dobson (September 14, 1915 – January 15, 2014) allowed amateur astronomers to enjoy large telescopes, in a hobby that is expensive this should be taken advantage of !

Cool, thanks! Desparate to get out there and use it - and the kids too.....my wife is calming down a little after seeing how big it actually it :grin: so everyone is keen to have a go......flippin' weather though...

I shall try and stop worrying and look forward to enjoying it....in the meantime, I have a copy of Turn Left at Orion to read and eyepieces to research! :wink:

ha ha....I've already got my eye on the celestron X-cel barlow......but I am trying to be sensible (which isn't my middle name) and hold off while I play with the scope a bit.....might try and calm my buying urges with a DIY dew shield as inspired by some of the posts on the forums!

• 3 weeks later...

I think that the 200p has about the same height as my 250px - and it's very comfortable to use. I got a cheap drummers stool, which is adjustable height, though to be honest I don't adjust it that much. You can just sit next to it and view.

I also use a Heritage 130p - the minidob. If you'd a stable table, or are will to sit next to it on a slightly lower chair, they're good, and very popular too - though if you've the storage space and can move the 200p to where you want to observe easily, well, more aperture wins.

As for books - try "Turn left at Orion". It's a good introduction!

Hi Marky the Dob should be comfortable for you as they are quite tall at the eyepiece if you're aiming quite high up, I'm short 5' 8" and i could not reach up unless I had a stool of some sorts to stand on. I had a trial on the 16inch Meade Dob and it was bigger than me at full height and the weight for me was prohibitive to carry or transport.. I'm sticking to the  wee stuff!  good luck on your choice mate! 

BB

I see the retail price has shot up from PB! Must have had some sales recently? He was the cheapest in the UK.

If you feel you need to collimate sooner than later, just make a collimation cap from the existing focuser dust cap, or get an old 35mm film cannister ( The lid stays on the cannister with a 1mm hole drilled through the cap, stick something white or reflective inside the cap with a similar hole, the base of the cannister is chopped off) Use the Astro Baby guide  as your reference. You really don't need lasers or Cheshire just yet, just enjoy what you have. You may want to try another eyepiece in place of the 10mm that is supplied?

Hi Charic....PB still has the 200p on his eBay shop at £250 which is a great price.

As for the 10MM, I was tempted by 12.5 Williams Optics EP in the FLO clearance today, but I'm still trying to placate my other half for getting the telescope in the first place!

Archived