Hello Everyone.

Balloons

I have always had an interested in stargazing but never really knuckled down and started to have a real go.

My very inquisitive 6 year old son has started to get interested and is already asking me questions I can't answer so i decided to buy a celestron 31150 lcm 114 (on a friends recomendation) and a couple of books.

I am a complete novice but a quick learner and I thought this might be the best place to get started. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lee

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Lee

Welcome, I'm a newbie too. Best suggestion I can make is to put out a particular query.

So if for instance you need assistance with eyepiece selection for a particular star, planet or nebula. Just query that and the help flows from there.

You are so lucky your 6 year old is interested, enjoy the experience and best of luck.

Wayne

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Hey Ballooons Snr and Jnr. My advice: wrap up warm, point the scope upwards (take it outside first) and say "wow" together.

Soon the 'wow!' turns into 'what?' and then 'why?' and then you're officially an amateur astronomer, but which time your lad is aged ten and thinks your a total nerd because he's so cool now.  :BangHead:  Circle of life.

This forum is basically an NSG*

A very warm welcome.

* Nerd Support Group

Hi, Lee, and a warm welcome to SGL! If you haven't done already I can recommend you download the free planetarium 'Stellarium' which is used by many on here to both find objects in the night sky and plan for a viewing session. The software is customisable to location (area, light pollutiion etc) and even to individual telescopes - giving you an idea of what you and your son will see through the eye piece. It's also a great educational tool. Downloadable here: http://stellarium.org/

Hope that helps,

Martin

Archived