NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mars at it's current highest last night (UK)

Barv

I managed to get out of my pit at 3 o'clock this morning and I'm glad I did. The air was fairly still with reasonable seeing. Mars is always a focusing challenge here in the UK and not made any easier by it's maximum 30 degree altitude. I was fairly pleased with this though all things considered. I attach a sky safari screenshot showing details.

The first image was taken using a Baader 610nm filter enhancing surface shading. The 2nd should be about the right colour.

Taken with Celestron 11 Edge at F25 with ZWO coloured cam.

I hope you like it!

post-32779-0-53722600-1392570661_thumb.p

post-32779-0-59220600-1392570714_thumb.p

post-32779-0-15961400-1392570749_thumb.p

Well done, looks pretty decent with some nice detail. Conditions were fairly good last night...it's been a long time coming!!!

Pete

Yes, conditions were OK Pete but we have had much better. I hate those early mornings though. I don't think I can do it much more! (It must be an age thing)! LOL.

Did you get out at all?

Regards

Harvey

Nice capture Harvey - I stayed out til 3am on Monday morning, for my first run on this - some grainy detail captured, but the seeing had deteriorated and was shooting through haze.   When I stack the central area looks burned out - though haven't had a good play with the data yet.   Focusing on such a small object is a real challenge!

Great shot, and very impressed with your dedication.  3am is a deep sleep time for me :).

Yes, it is for me normally Dave, but we don't get that many good nights, - particularly of late!

Regards

Harvey

Very nice :)

I'm no fan of Mars, but decided to attempt it myself last night. My results prove to me just how good yours are.

Very well done indeed. It's a cracking image!

Ant

If you're anything like me Ant, you'll become a fan because it is soo difficult. (If you think that's hard you should try Uranus, - it makes Mars look simple, - see my previous post). I have done a repro of Mars on here, - it's better, have you seen it?     Thanks for your praise though, - much appreciated!  :smiley:

Archived