Just joined

cepheus42

Hi,

As instructed I'm posting an intro, (I always do as I'm told). I've been active in astronomy for about 15 years but with a 12 year break due to a severe back injury. Now I'm back in the saddle.

Due to a very generous redundancy package ( I was over the moon), I have been able to set myself up with some great kit as follows.

Meade LS 8" for visual observation

A selection of Nagler and Helios eye pieces

I then got the bug for astrophotography after a conversation with Nik Szymanek at the SPA diamond jubilee event in Cambridge.

I then purchased :

Orion Starshoot planetary Imager (got some great results for the moon and Jupiter).

This lead me to want to get into deep sky imagine too so this lead to an Orion G3 Star Shoot CCD colour camera. I also purchased a Canon 1100D DSLR.

I then came up against the restrictions of the Alt/Az mount for the LS, this can;t be operated in any other mode due to the software. So today I went to The European Astrofest in Kensington and purchased :

Skywatcher 80 ED Pro & HEQ5 pro synscan which I hope to receive on Tuesday. I think I'm about covered for kit now and have a steep learning curve ahead of me as I am a self confessed technophobe due to my inability to grasp the simplest technological terms......Perhaps I'm a little hard on myself but I feel very much out of my depth.

That's all for now

Peter Hutton

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Peter, welcome to SGL  :smiley:

It sounds like you have some good kit to begin imaging. If DSOs are an interest, then the usual recommendation (for good reason) is to get yourself a copy of 'Making Every Photon Count' if have don't have it already:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

It is an excellent introduction, even for those of us who, like me, are not 'technologically gifted'! 

Welcome to SGL Peter - It's easy to feel overwhelmed with imaging, but we all started from where you are now. Have you managed to get hold of a copy of 'Making Every Photon Count'? Available from the FLO website in their book section. It really is an imagers bible and will really help with what you need and why.

The HEQ5 and the 80ED is a proven entry into imaging, so well done and congratulations on your purchase!

If you need any help, then do ask, someone will generally know the answer.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Archived