Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A monopod? Really?

Russko13

With all the different options available when it comes to buying a tripod I ask myself, " a monopod? Seriously?" I don't understand why people choose to use these when you can get a 'does the job' tripod for around £20 these days surely going from holding a pair of bins to holding a stick defeats the object and I can't understand how by any means they 'stabilise' viewing unless your prepared to sit there with it clenched in between your legs looking like your overdue for a trip to the toilet! Lol, don't get me wrong I know there's a lot of observers who prefer them but for me I just can't see the attraction

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monopods are useful for steadying binocular, especially when observing near zenith (when a tripod gets in the way, or even trips you up). They can be used from a chair quite readily (though some prefer to use two legs of a tripod).  A p-mount is better for bins, but much slower to set up, and much more expensive. I also doubt that 20 quid tripods are up to the job of stabilizing my 15x70 bins.

I've a monopod from about 10 years ago for photography. I believe that's what they were originally designed for, specifically the sports photographer.

They are ideal for where you want to take the weight of the item and reduce and movement but still allow you quick movement to spin around.

Mine has a fixed head where the camera sits at 90 degrees, I guess the ones for binos must have some form of a moving head, which I can see where these will be useful as you don't have to take the weight of the binos on the arms, just worry about where to point them and holding steady must be easier than in the hands.

Don't get me wrong I'm a firm believer that when your gonna spend money to mount something don't go down the cheap option unless you have to my tripod cost me £85 and is probably a bit of an overkill with my 10x50s but I know I have the stability if I ever upgrade to bigger bins I just still don't see how swapping bins in your hands for a monopod would make them any more less shaky, your holding a stick that has a fair bit of weight attached to the top end of it, it's top heavy whether it's resting on a surface or not, before I bought my tripod I looked at monopods but just couldn't see where the stability factor was in them so didn't buy, now one year on I still have the same outlook lol

It's all extra stability. If you imagine standing in the middle of nowhere holding your 10x or 15x and looking up you sway in all directions. Now if you lean up against something, a tree or wall you can instantly hold them a lot steadier. Now the monopod work the same way but helps even further by taking the weight.

You will not get a complete standstill image like with a tripod but you can be very close to it. Just another item to help people but we all have preferences and all find things we can and can't use so they are not for everyone even if they all had them in their kit bag.

I have just recently taken delivery of a monopod.

The reason I purchasing one is because I live in a flat and want something I can just leave out and stand up in the corner as I don't have must space. So this is a very quick grab and go so I can rush out side when there is a gap in the clouds.

I do have a tripod but its quite bulky and stored away.

Russko, I think you are picturing having the bino's attached to the monopod and then holding the monopod up off the ground. They can be used this way, but they are designed to be rested on the ground. This relieves the observer of having to take the weight of the binocular and provides effortless vertical motion stability. Believe it or not, they actually make for very easy, comfortable viewing. Plus, they're a lot easier to grab and transport than even a small, cheap tripod.

All you need to do is try one, then you'll understand. The majority of the shakiness comes from holding the weight of the bins. The monopod supports all the weight, so all you need to do is stop them moving from side to side. They give dramatically better views, and work very well with a tall one used standing up. They also avoid the problem of the tripod legs getting in the way of your feet.

An extra tip with a monopod what I used to do with photography, was to have the monopod where from eye level holding the equipment the bottom end reached your waste. The foot of the monopod was then attached to your belt meaning you take the weight on your waist and can quickly move around.

I'll have to try one out sometime don't knock it till you've tried it I guess! Lol

I was just going to say that!

I have a collection of tripods for different things, trouble is they are inconvenient for travelling - ever tried putting one up in a busy street

Monopods are so much easier, especially the good quality ones, true you won't get long exposures with a camera but they do a good job for shortish exposures.

Some like the manfrotto even have an extra stabilising tripod for additional sturdyness

When using large 20x80 binoculars a 'good' monopod is much easier to use at eye level with out bending your back if you use your body as the two extra legs of the tripod

I must admit, until I tried a monopod I had a similar view but I ended up keeping the manfrotto monopod and selling the manfrotto carbon fibre tripod 

I use either a monopod or monopod. If I am on my own then the monopod wins as I don't trip up. However if I am with a group of friends or starparty then the tripod wins. I just make sure I mount a rear cycle light on one of the tripod legs or center column so no one can trip over it.

I remember that wedging the top of a *broom handle* between the "twin telescopes"

of binoculars worked quite well? The brush element allowed for added... flexibility  :p

A "misspent youth" taught me the merit of leaning against SOLID objects for support?

Walls (indoor or outdoor) - Posts (rural or urban) ... All are "Fit for the purpose"! :o

But seriously... Astronomy-wise... Monopods etc. could / can be rather useful...  :)

I got bought a pair of Bino's for Christmas but quickly realized that i in fact was not hulk hogan and needed some support for them, i bought a trigger head grip and a monopod which is very good but its still a bit wobbly in the FOV, i think this is much me getting used to using the whole setup as anything.

I have ordered a Tripod as well (I need this for other bits) so i am going try both and see how i get on.

The one weak point for me seems to be the adapter that connects the Binos to the head, the Celestron one seems a bit flimsy, Has anyone replaced the stock one supplied? any better?

A better alternative to a monopod is a bipod. I made one from wood. It was simply a wooden pole at the correct height with two short legs at the bottom. This prevented sideways movement.

The problem I have with this in practice is the notion of  a single " correct height". As mounted binoculars are aimed higher, their eyepieces get lower, but as you look higher, your eyes get higher. With my most-used binocular, there is approx 30cm difference in monopod height between near horizon to near zenith.

The one weak point for me seems to be the adapter that connects the Binos to the head, the Celestron one seems a bit flimsy,

Sorry, but  "a bit flimsy" makes it sound a heck of a lot better than it is. You can either replace it (easiest) or improve it by decapitating some 6mm diam bolts or similar and using epoxy resin to secure them into the recesses on the side; fill the recesses with epoxy as well.

I remember that wedging the top of a *broom handle* between the "twin telescopes"

of binoculars worked quite well? The brush element allowed for added... flexibility  :p

A "misspent youth" taught me the merit of leaning against SOLID objects for support?

Walls (indoor or outdoor) - Posts (rural or urban) ... All are "Fit for the purpose"! :o

Leaning my elbows on the roof of our car has helped me at times. ;)

.. adequately making the point that any support is a heck of a lot better than no support! :kiss:

Archived