Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Brand new

TFRM

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi TFRM, welcome to SGL :)

The 130 SLT is a very nice introduction to visual astronomy. The tripod is usually the weak point of smaller scopes, so make sure all the nuts and bolts are correctly tightened so you get a more stable platform.

I have a cheapo pair of 8x56 binoculars that I use for a quick 15min dark-sky fix in the mornings before making the kids packed lunches for school. They are very useful in that they have zero set up time, but I don't find them as satisfying to look through as a telescope.

Binoculars are a good thing to get going quickly with. I have been lending mine to my sister now when we go out so she can look at things whilst I am setting up the scope.

As you live in Stirling you might want to check out the Central Scotland Observers Group who you can find via google. There are people there from all over the central belt and they meet up at short notice at a couple of darker sites! I liked it as a newbie because it meant I could head out to some darker skies and knew I wasn't going to be on my own in some eerie empty place!

Thank you everyone for your replies!

I'll check out the site you mentioned Killie and I'll keep everyone posted on how I'm progressing.

I do have a pair of Centon binoculars 10 x 50 and I must say they are really good, trouble is trying to keep steady enough to gaze longer at one point.

On the telescope side of things, I did manage to get a look at Jupiter and see its four moons which was a super start!

Catch you all soon!!

Welcome to SGL - I think that many folks probably have binoculars and a scope ...... (or two!) - Download the planetarium programme Stellarium, this will give you some good guidance around the night sky.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Welcome!

I have a Heritage 130p and use it on the Nexstar SLT mount. It's amazing how good this mount it regarding the relatively low price tag.

The 5" will allready show a lot of deepsky objects under dark skies, not as detailed as 10", but still amazing...

Have a lot of fun with your telescope and Binoculars plus a good book really help despite all the GoTo :-)

Welcome to SGL :)

On the telescope side of things, I did manage to get a look at Jupiter and see its four moons which was a super start!

Catch you all soon!!

Ah, Jupiter's moons. They're like a gateway drug to amateur astronomy! There's nothing like hearing all about things like that, and then getting to see for yourself on your own kit. Enjoy!

Hi, TRFM, and a warm welcome to SGL! If you haven't done already I can recommend downloading the free planetarium sofware 'Stellarium' which is used by many on here both to help locate objects and to plan for a night's viewing. The programme is customaisable to location (area, light pollution etc.) and also to individual telescopes - giving an idea of what you will be able to see through the eyepiece. (Downloadable here: http://stellarium.org/)

Hope that helps, and good viewing,

Martin

Good evening all, need some advice here.

I own a pair of 10 x 50 binoculars and on a good clear night can see well into the night sky, I am however interested in getting the Celestron 20 x 80 skymasters to go with the telescope, I know it's a bit daft to have two pairs of binoculars but I'm dead keen to find my way around quickly. Am I daft or is it a worthwhile purchase?

Also I think a tripod is needed as they weigh around 2kg and Arnie I ain't!

Cheers

Hi, TRFM and welcome to SGL. It is certainly not daft to have two pairs of bins, the 20x80 will reveal a little more detail, but you will definitely need a suitable tripod. I am afraid there is no quick fix to learning the night sky, other than to observe as much as you can, when the weather permits, with your bins star maps and a red torch, enjoy :)

Archived