Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

'Oh sit down'

scarp15

Interesting to learn if you choose to sit or stand (or both) when observing and why you might choose to do what you do.

I do tend to stand if I am observing with company. However my fundamental preference is for seated observing with both my scopes. With my fork mounted SCT this is very comfortable and the ergonomics are just right. I can slew the scope and enjoy observing without hardly moving from the seat. With the dob I usually have to move the chair a little and the height adjustment is a bit more extreme (high or low) however this is an easy task. 

In both cases when I sit, my mind relaxes and I 'see' more.

So altogether now '' Oh sit down, oh sit down sit down next to me in sympathy'' etc (well something like that).  

A dobsonian is perfectly designed for sit-down use, until you get to maybe a 16" or larger, when stand-up may be preferable, at least for viewing near the zenith. With my 12" I use an adjustable stool to get the right height.

The idea of having the focuser at 45 degrees to horizontal (when the tube is level) was invented by Herschel, who wanted to make it feel like sitting at a desk. So whenever I'm sitting comfortably at my dob I say a little thank you to Sir William (for that and a lot of other things too).

I am exactly the same. I stand when observing with company, mainly because it allows quicker trading places at the eyepiece. My visual scopes are all undriven. When observing by myself (most of the time) I prefer to sit. I normally send much longer actually viewing and I find I am much more stable but also more relaxed when seated.

I use an ironing stool as an observing seat and with either the Pronto on a TelePod/Manfrotto tripod, or the 150P AZ4, or my 250PX Dob, I have the seat set medium high and have never needed to adjust it. Sitting up straight I can see to the zenith with the dob, and simply by leaning forward I can see down to about 15° (which is my local horizon). I can only imagine that it must be more difficult with a longer focal length scope, with a higher eyepiece position at zenith.

I prefer to sit down when I'm observing. Being relaxed at the EP makes a huge difference on what your able to see IMHO. It's only during those quick 10-15 minutes between the clouds sessions I stand up.

Yup. I'm one of the sit down variety of astronomers. Simple wooden dining chair does it for me. The back stops me tipilling over backwards if I'm observing at zenith with my bins. Sometimes, if I need extra support for my arms and bins, I turn it round to straddle it, resting my arms on the chair back. Move over Christine Keeler.

I'm a sitter.

I tried standing when I first got my 16" because EP height at the Zenith is 5'10", I hated every minute of it so much that I even contemplated getting a faster f/4 mirror and shortening the truss poles but in the end I settled on just getting a bigger chair haha.

I dont rush my objects when I observe, usually pick 12 objects and thats more than enough even if I stay out for a good 8 hours but I know some people like to tick them off at a quick rate and I can see how an observing chair could get in the way if you are moving around a lot.

I am exactly the same. I stand when observing with company, mainly because it allows quicker trading places at the eyepiece. My visual scopes are all undriven. When observing by myself (most of the time) I prefer to sit. I normally send much longer actually viewing and I find I am much more stable but also more relaxed when seated.

I use an ironing stool as an observing seat and with either the Pronto on a TelePod/Manfrotto tripod, or the 150P AZ4, or my 250PX Dob, I have the seat set medium high and have never needed to adjust it. Sitting up straight I can see to the zenith with the dob, and simply by leaning forward I can see down to about 15° (which is my local horizon). I can only imagine that it must be more difficult with a longer focal length scope, with a higher eyepiece position at zenith.

Hurrah for the shorter focal length and faster scopes,  not as much bending and contortions to get into for different angles of viewing when seated. :D

I was given a little scope a while ago and used it last night. I took a dining chair out and sat on that (don't tell the wife) and it was so comfortable. I normally stand at my 200p and end up rushing observations because of awkward angles. I think a stool or high chair might be in order.

Started off my observing standing and then read a post on here and tried sitting. A great improvement, enables me to get my head in the correct position and keep it there without bobbing up and down.

The only time I stand is when I'm having a quick scan with the bins.

I have a small workshop stool from Tool Station. Its on casters so is easy to push myself around on the patio and it also has a gas strut height adjustment so I'm always at the right height when using my refractory.

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk

I usually stand when others are around, especially my students.  When alone, I find that sitting next to my Dob is quite therapeutic after a long day.  In the spring, I can hear the frogs in the distance and an occasional flock of geese flying by.  During the winter... silence!  perfect!

Isabelle

Isabelle that is a good point, all your senses become a little more accentuated, when it is quiet and you are comfortably sat within the outside environment. Natures nocturnal sounds are somewhat heightened and it is easy to become receptive to night time symphonies and particular silences.   

Since I got myself an ironing chair I find viewing sitting down to be very comfortable and relaxing and find that I am observing objects for much longer and see much more detail than I used to when standing up.

Avtar

Since I got myself an ironing chair I find viewing sitting down to be very comfortable and relaxing and find that I am observing objects for much longer and see much more detail than I used to when standing up.

Avtar

Exact same thing I find, Avtar. Nothing beats sitting comfortably whilst observing an object for extended periods.

I have one of these and absolutely love the thing...

post-30253-0-62116900-1391903156.jpg

Archived