Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New observing chair required..

emadmoussa

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's another vote fot the Mey Chair. I agree, It is expensive but worth the money. I think an observing chair is an often overlooked piece of equipment and I couldn't live without mine. I'd give it 9/10; it only drops a point because it doesn't fold away for easy storage/ transport.

I have the ironing chair from Amazon and don't find it too dificult to adjust although it can be a bit fiddley in the dark some times.

I would give it 8 out of 10 as it has a good range of heights and and is light enough to move about with one hand and is comfortable and stable to sit on. I'm 6'3" tall but not that heavy, only 12st.

Not tried it with a 12" Dob though.

Avtar

I've been using an adjustable stool for months now and it worked just fine. With the 300P when pointing the scope 80-deg upwards I can't reach the eyepiece sitting - the chair at its highest setting is still too low. And when I'm standing the eyepiece is below my eyes level. So yeah, I'm considering an ironing chair or something similar...are they any good?

Thinking about this one

Another vote for this one - I've been using it a couple of months - it works great. Adjustment seems fiddly the first time but it's just a knack that come quickly. And it's cheap! The only weak point was the seat - the ply inside has broken on both sides of mine, but that doesn't actually seem to be a problem, can still perch just fine because the metal frame underneath is solid; so the flat seats a bit bent!

Looks nice, but 129 Euros is a bit overpriced I think! 

It is over priced, is it not?!

While an observing chair is an underestimated piece of equipment, it's still replaceable by many products on the market. I might just go ahead and get the ironing chair... :)

Imad, I have that ironing stol and a simple office chair (plastic and gas operated) for observing.

The office chair is more easy to use, but much limited in height, while ironing is a little hussle to adjust, but can set much higher. I agree with Shaun's 5/10.

I've looked some bar stol too, something like this

http://jysk.se/vardagsrum/stolar/barstolar

Those has much better height and easy to adjust. Issue for me is that the lowest sits is too for my setup, but I can imagine it'll be more suited for big dobs, maybe you can go to your local shops and test it.

BTW, that ironing stol is a little cheaper here:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B0000DH7KA/ref=sr_1_3_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1391307318&sr=8-3&keywords=Leifheit+Multisitz&condition=new

I've got one of the SW chairs, though hastilly add it was a freebie with a s/h scope purchase. It is nice and stable, yet light weight and just a quick slide to adjust. No way I would pay list on this, but quite good if you see one going cheap.

The only minor draw back for me is unbolting the seat to get it to pack flat.

typed on my mobile with Tapatalk

I use a drum throne. But mine is a bit different to most. As I actually play the drums I wanted something very comfortable, very stable and instantly adjustable. This fits the bill nicely and has lasted me about 8 years so far and is still like new: http://www.djmmusic.com/p-2597-big-dog-pro-cloth-saddle-drum-throne.aspx?gclid=CMOknKzvrLwCFSccwwodLxUADg

You can get then quite a bit cheaper than that btw, that's just the first link I clicked on. You adjust the height by spinning the seat and it goes up VERY quick and easy. No bolts, one handed in the dark without taking your eye from the EP.

i can understand a chair for refractors but not for dobs theres far too much nudging and stuff going on and it would drive me insane moving the chair about all the time. some one shoud create a chair on a track that tracks with the scope while  observing  :cool:  now thats what i call an armchair astronomer !

i can understand a chair for refractors but not for dobs theres far too much nudging and stuff going on and it would drive me insane moving the chair about all the time. 

The more comfortable and relaxed you are at the EP the better thats why so many people use them regardless of scope type.

Emad

I had a Mey for my 12" and it really was so much easier to use than ironing chairs, the seat in your pic looks very similar to a Mey so if its still available I'd jump on it (well I wouldn't jump on it...you'd probably look a little silly but you know what I mean!  :grin: ).

i can understand a chair for refractors but not for dobs theres far too much nudging and stuff going on and it would drive me insane moving the chair about all the time. some one shoud create a chair on a track that tracks with the scope while  observing  :cool:  now thats what i call an armchair astronomer !

in all fairness, the nudging rate is so small that you will be switchin target before you end up needing to move the chair. Howecer I love the idea of a tracking chair ;-)

in all fairness, the nudging rate is so small that you will be switchin target before you end up needing to move the chair. Howecer I love the idea of a tracking chair ;-)

I was thinking about a tracking garden patio. Stationary telescope...while the patio around tracks :D

Archived