Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Have a Cigar (the galaxy I mean)

stolenfeather

After being away from my telescope for weeks and inactive on this site for over a year, I was quite enthusiastic in finding the new supernova in M82 that some have already mentioned on this forum.  It would not only be the first time I witness a recent supernova but it would also be my first glimpse of the Cigar Galaxy.  I did the necessary collimation and headed outside.  Since the weather network had called for a windchill warning of -43, I dressed for the occasion.  Unfortunately, I was ill-prepared to also face a wall of humidity (81%).  Now, upon a recent look at the forecast, the warning called for blowing snow.  I guess the Cigar Galaxy will be for another day.  I have a 10" Dobsonian, I'm assuming that it won't be too tricky to find right? 

Until then, I thought that this song would be quite fitting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMr3KtYUCcI

Isabelle

Hi folks,

The galaxy is well within reach of a descent pair of binoculars, and the supernova, although not as bright,

is a point source and actually looks brighter than the surrounding 200 billion or stars and collection of dust.

Give it another 7 days and it may well be veiwable in good 10x50s if the sky gets dark and transparent.

I, ve been looking at it with an 8" newt through slightly murky skies and it is very obvious in the mid-plane of the galaxy.

Clear skies both

Mick

Archived