1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

The stellar remnant of the 1181 supernova ?

This spectrum (taken using the C11 and  ALPY600 spectrograph) is of magnitude 15 star IRAS 00500+6713 in Cassiopeia. It is believed to be the result of a merger between two white dwarfs, kept from complete collapse by a powerful magnetic field and may be the stellar remnant of the supernova seen by Chinese astronomers in 1181.  It is a star of extremes with a temperature of 200,000 K and 16,000 km/s winds. More about this star and references on my BAA page here

https://britastro.org/observations/observation.php?id=20210930_153458_144e8bbb0f30f495

Cheers

Robin

1655084514_iras005006713_BAA_poster_20210930_Leadbeater.png.c8693dd51270d92b57f6ed436fc8dce4.png

• Like 6

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By kirylb
      Hi guys,
      Noobie here, I just purchased the Celestron 80mm travel scope for my first telescope and saw this and I want to see if anyone can tell me what this is. My first thought was that this is a supernova, but I highly doubt that. I’m located in NorCal and was pointing my telescope somewhere between Jupiter and Saturn. I had a 10mm eyepiece and cant remember if I had a 2x Barlow lens on or not, and took this video through my iPhone with the phone attachment. There is lots of light pollution around me and I couldn’t see this with my naked eye, only through the telescope. If anyone can please tell me what this might be I’d love to know!
      IMG_1863.MOV
    • By davhei
      Caught SN2021hiz this evening and estimated the visual magnitude at 13.2

• By alanjgreen
      I was out hunting the latest supernovae on 1st April and observed the following SN's
      - SN2021hiz in IC3322A  (discovered 30th March and now at mag 14.9)

Checking the latest images this morning, I see that the dot out on the tip (in my sketch) was the new SN.
      https://www.rochesterastronomy.org/supernova.html#2021hiz

- SN2021gmj in NGC3310 (discovered 20th March and now at mag 15.6)

This is a nice SN sitting on the end of a faint spiral arm.
      https://www.rochesterastronomy.org/supernova.html#2021gmj

Both have not reached their peak brightness yet so should still get brighter.

There is another bright SN but its too low for me to get at from my obsy shed
      It is SN2021fxy found in NGC5018, current brightness is mag 14.2
      https://www.rochesterastronomy.org/supernova.html#2021fxy

Have a look with these lovely clear skies that we have at the moment...
      Alan

• By robin_astro
      A conventional image of this star field in Perseus (~20x15 arcmin) would look rather ordinary but a diffraction grating (100 lines/mm Star Analyser) placed in front of the camera to spread some of the star light into spectra reveals some interesting astrophysics going on in these stars thanks to the power of spectroscopy. (34x10 sec, Celestron CII, ATIK 314L)

Top of the frame is W Per,  a Red Supergiant star and like most other supergiants (Betelgeuse for example) is variable in brightness. Here it is currently magnitude 9.5 measured at visual wavelengths (from the AAVSO database), but much brighter in the Infra-Red where most of the light from this star is produced. (The spectrum here extends out to wavelengths beyond 1 micron, the limit of the CCD sensor sensitivity.) We can tell it is a cool star (spectral type M5i) from the sawtooth shape absorption bands in the spectrum produced by spinning and vibrating molecules of Titanium Oxide which are able to form in the relatively cool (~3000K) atmosphere of this star.
      Centre is BD+56  727, a hot star (effective temperature ~15000K) of spectral type B5 with no obvious strong absorption lines in the spectrum, typical of very hot stars. The star should look very blue with the spectrum much brighter at the shorter wavelengths but in this case the spectrum is almost even brightness across the visible range due to the large amount of interstellar dust between us and the star which dims and reddens its appearance. (It is V magnitude 10.6 but the dust absorbs over 90% of the visible light so would look much brighter and bluer without the dust).  There is one clear feature in the spectrum though, the bright spot in the red at the Hydrogen alpha wavelength (6563A).  This emission line comes from a rotating disc of gas around the star, the hydrogen atoms being excited by the UV light from the star and glowing in H alpha. (It is a Be star, one of many followed by amateur spectroscopists in support of professional astronomers)
      Bottom is WR5 a Wolf Rayet star with a spectacular spectrum showing many emission lines. (It is visual magnitude 10.4 but most of the light is concentrated in the emission lines). Wolf Rayet stars are extremely hot (tens of thousands of degrees K) massive stars nearing the end of their life (probably destined to become supernovae.)  They are shedding their outer layers in powerful high velocity stellar winds. It is the material in these winds (made up of elements formed by nuclear fusion within the star) which produces the emission lines, variously of ionised Helium, Carbon, Nitrogen and Oxygen, excited by the UV radiation from the star.

Cheers
      Robin
    • By MonteTheMagnificent
      Hello all,

I am looking into making a hobby out of spectroscopy but don't exactly know where to start.
      All I can really go off is a high school education of physics and the various reading that one usually does when looking into something new.
      The main questions are, essentially;
      1. What is the best spectrometry equipment for an amateur like myself?
      I have little to no knowledge on all the necessary equipment, so any recommendations would be very much appreciated. For any suggestions, if you wouldn't mind giving a reason as to why you recommend a said product, I will take this information with great appreciation.
      In terms of a camera, I've read that CCD monochrome cameras are the best. How does a DSLR rank against this though?
      In terms of a telescope, should I be looking at one with a specific aperture range? If so, are there any other properties I should be looking at?
      Is a grating better than a prism? Why?
      What software is the most effective and easiest to use?
      Do I need some sort of focusing device?
      2. How do you collect spectral data using the technology?
      Is it as simple as pointing at a star and recording the acquired data?
      How long should I view the chosen star? Is it a photo or a video?

I would assume that these questions have been asked plenty of times, so any links to other forums which discuss the same questions and topics I am raising will be very helpful as well.
      Any type of reply is welcome. As an amateur, anything is helpful.

Looking forward to discussing this with you all.

Monte.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.