Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Do you store your telescope complete?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi. I store all my scopes in the garage on a workbench set aside for them. The R sits in its massive wooden box, with the other two sitting on top of that box. The mount and tripod also reside in the garage, but elsewhere. From what I have read and learned on the forum, keeping the scope at the ambient temperature (so as close to being outside), then the faster cool down time (especially with a dobsonian mounted device) the better. 

What scope and mount do you have? 

Ive got a Stargazer 150P, unfortunately Ive also got a flooded garage (again)....

I understand the ambient storage thing, I was wondering about getting a waterproof cover and leaving it on the decking, but I dont like the idea of it being out there with this horrible weather

Would not leave a scope outside (unless it was in an observatory).  Some people to build Roll off covers though these are usually put over permanent piers for the mound to sit on. Not having a newtonian, I am unsure how much condensation you would get by keeping it indoors, then moving outside to view....you can obtain desiccant caps to remove moisture from the tube, though not sure how much help that would be in this instance.

I disassemble my set-up, and then re-assemble, balance and align in a small amount of time....so would say keep it in the garage, off the floor, and break it down. I am sure someone with a newtonian or Dob will be along shortly to offer additional help. sorry I can't help further. wish you luck with the flooded garage...and clear skies of course.

Regards

Both mine are stored in the corner of my dining room complete. It's that or the garage and I just front trust a damp garage to keep my scopes safe. Of course I have to separate tube and base to move the Dob around but it's a two min job.

Keep my eyepieces in an airtight container, they sit there nice and snug between two bits of sponge I cut in half.

A bit like nuclear dwarf above, I just like to be near them... :D

I keep my Dob complete on a mobile base I made for it in the spare room, :smiley: 

My 6" refractor   I take of the mount and store in its box,  It only takes 2 mins to set up and balance,  :smiley:

EP's are stored in a flight case safe, :smiley:

I keep my EQ3 assembled in the far corner of my kitchen and store my OTA safely away in a box under my bed away from all that nasty dust!  All other kit is in a case surrounded by foam ready for action.  It takes me around 10 minutes to setup up.  :)

Could you let me know whether to store the telescope complete,or take the telescope off the mount to save room?

My present house is not as large as the one we are building, so I only have the little grab and go set up, and in an unheated location.

As for saving room, that's a personal decision based on your preference and circumstances.  

I store my OTAs in purpose-made wood cradles in an outbuilding, the mount sits on a tripod for storage but when used at home the head is carried outside and attached to a pernanent pier. I check polar alignment before use but rarely need to adjust anything because the pier top-plate has location dowels so it goes on in exactly the same position each time. Only if the mount has been setup elsewhere using one of the portable tripods does it need re-alignment. The outbuilding has a decent dehumidifier running all the time so when the dew or frost-encrusted gear is returned to storage it quickly dries and the moisture dumped through a pipe to the outside. High humidity is a real killer for optical instruments - not just the odd rusty bolt but mold/mildew and damaged coatings. The outbuilding also serves as a workstation for remote imaging, and can be kept warm for the time it's used as such.

ChrisH

Mine stays fully assembled in my bedroom wardrobe. Yeah okay, I had storage issues and it was the best place I had to keep it. Had to move some clothes out to get it in there though. I do have two sheds outside but I won't keep it in either for security reasons.

When I was using the 4 1/2" on its EQ mount, for storage I would separate the mount head from the tripod, then store the tube on the mount somewhere (a bit of an awkward shape but I found space), and the tripod folded down next to it. It's only one bolt to take the head off the tripod, and meant I could put it back on without having to rebalance the scope. For setup, first I'd put the tripod up, then I'd carry the scope on the mount head out and put it on the tripod.

Mine stays fully assembled in my bedroom wardrobe. Yeah okay, I had storage issues and it was the best place I had to keep it. Had to move some clothes out to get it in there though.

Here is a person with their priorities right...  :D

Mine are the garden shed. The ota's are on an Ikea wooden shelving unit and the mounts are placed for ideally bumping into and tripping over.

Each mirror has it's own (reptile) heating pad, so that insidious humidity doesn't affect them (aaaah !)

If dripping wet with dew I take it into the house to dry off, but get it out before Mrs.c wakes up,

Old Nick.

Mine is stored fully assembled beside the stairs as that's the only place downstairs I could store it.

When I want to use it I can quickly carry it to the back garden and then extend the legs.

It's not far from a radiator either, which may not be a good thing but my sheds are not secure and the garage is about 500 yards from the house.

I'd rather have to let the scope cool a bit longer to get the better results rather than leave it somewhere not secure or have it damaged from being stored upstairs due to lack to space.

I made a box out of Kitchen work surface board; It is a bit on the heavy side, but protects the OTA & diagonal from my 5yr old son!! It has the polystyrene foam inserted that came with the scope + some foam lining. The tripod & mount are tucked out of the way near the backdoor ready to go.

post-33714-0-98622100-1390826828_thumb.j

post-33714-0-78643200-1390826865_thumb.j

post-33714-0-65189200-1390826902_thumb.j

post-33714-0-37652600-1390826939_thumb.j

Archived