Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from another newbie

Leftie

Hi to all.

Retiree living Kent/Surrey/London borders so having to put up with a fair amount of light pollution.

Have been struggling with a 50mm Tasco refractor for many years (OK, I know !!) but actually managed to see the Andromeda galaxy through it the other evening - between rain clouds, but it was just a smudge.  I actually had a better view through my 8x40 binoculars, it was still a smudge but clearer.

Anyway, looking to upgrade to a larger and better scope and reading through some of the threads have so far been totally confused as to what to go for.  Just starting to read through some of the hundreds of other threads on this site covering almost everything under the sun . That will keep me off the streets for a while.

Regards

Welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us. There's masses of information on here to keep you amused for a life time! Then, if you have any questions there's a few folks that know what they are talking about as well!! Can't help you on your choice of scope as I've ended up something of a refractor girl and also have never really looked through a scope, imaging is my bag!

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi Leftie and welcome to SGL. You probably find, after all your research, that you end up with the 200P Dob as being the most popular scope, not only because of its good light gathering, capabilities and splendid views that it provides, but also its versatility to convert to an equatorial mount and the eventual advancement into Astro Photography, if this is so desired. Whatever you do , enjoy :)

Hi Leftie welcome to the lounge,

while you are making your mind up about which scope you

will choose, stick with the bins for a while, good way to learn

the night sky, you can search out targets, then you know where

they are when you get your scope, try his link it will help you find

your way around the night sky  http://binocularsky.com/ the monthly

newsletter is very good.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Welcome to SGL :)

The Skywatcher 200p Dobsonian would be a great place to start if your budget can stretch that far.  Great scope an easily stored and portable!

Either way you go good luck in your choice and hope you get many clear nights to enjoy it.

Lee

Archived