NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Brain drain help required......Celestron 15x70 skymaster or Helios Naturesport-Plus 10x50

I have read everything going on every site possible, including this one, I have researched and have gone up in price (can't really go down) and have finally whittled it down to two choices.  I just wish I could try these two out side by side and at night but no chance of that.  I know you pay for what you get and ideally would like to invest in some £250-£300 bins but after just having purchased a second hand Nexstar 5SE I can't justify it to the missus. So I have taken the sound advice and set myself a price limit and after several hours the choice is either the Celestron 15x70's or the Helios Naturesport  plus 10x50's.

I am a glasses wearer (unbelievably bad eyesight) and I take both these bins are fine with glasses.  What I'm more interested in is the image quality and would love to be able to compare images at night.  Obviously the FOV are going to be different which I'm not too concerned about, what I am interested is the final image.  Would the extra 5x zoom and 20mm focal length of the celestron's give me a much sharper image than the Helios? If it does then I consider the added weight and size no obstacle but If I didn't gain that extra 'oomph' from the Celestrons then would I be better off going with the lighter and smaller Helios'?  One small advantage being the ability to hand hold the Helios better due to reduced mag but being a photographer this isn't a problem as a tripod will be used with either, these bins are purely with astronomy in mind.

Also from what I can gather, both have great write ups but the Celestrons have had some (or more) collimation problems than what I can see with the Helios.

Please don't confuse me even more by recommending a totally different set of bins, I'm totally brain drained to the hilt. 

I look forward to any advice any body could give me over these two binoculars, remembering eye relief for a glasses wearer, (I have a night-mare with some of my telescope eye pieces!)

Thanks in anticipation

Lee :smiley:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the Celestron 15x70 and they are excellent, especially for the price! So I recommend those. I don't know of the others. I do have some smaller 10x50 myself but I never reach for them over the 15x70s.

Of course they are bigger and a bit heavier than 9x50 but it's not too bad. 15x is still pretty wide view, but the 70mm aperture means you can see quite a lot. The 10x50 will give a field like that of a typical 50mm finder, so if you have one that's roughly what you'd see, except in stereo of course.

Hi Lee

Just an opinion , but you have a decent scope already, for me the idea of bins is wide field quick spur of the moment viewing . I'd go with the Helios, but that's just my view.

Good luck with your choice

Thanks Nobby, I've got my scope about two weeks before xmas and have used it about twice and not even tried aligning it yet as it seems every time I go out in a break in the cloud cover it doesn't last and have to rush in before getting soaked and ruining my equipment (who says it rains all the time in W Wales?)  So far I have used my binoculars more (a very, very cheap zoom pair, I wouldn't even give these away they're that bad). The binoculars are a grab and go, as at the moment with the lack of space I have to keep assembling and dissembling my scope set up, my wife moans (only a tad, she might read this) that she can't get her ironing up 'cause of it???  I'm thinking some observing ie with bins is better than no observing......

15x70 for me due to the additional light grasp. I have the 20x80 revalations and the are a bit too heavy for handheld use but I bought a friend the 15x70 celestrons for a 40th birthday pressie and they were much easier to handle. He has since bought a cheap tripod from aldi for 12 quid and he says they are great.

cheers

I have the Celestron 15x70 and they are excellent, especially for the price! So I recommend those. I don't know of the others. I do have some smaller 10x50 myself but I never reach for them over the 15x70s.

Of course they are bigger and a bit heavier than 9x50 but it's not too bad. 15x is still pretty wide view, but the 70mm aperture means you can see quite a lot. The 10x50 will give a field like that of a typical 50mm finder, so if you have one that's roughly what you'd see, except in stereo of course.

Thanks Louis, to be honest the only concern I have is the reported collimation probs, these seem to be the thing though, I suppose you pay your money you take the risk

If you plan to always use the tripod either way I would go for the 15x70's, but the 10x50's will give the added flexibility that comes with hand holding. I have 15x70's on tripod and 8x40 handheld and I use the latter more often.

I would go for the Helios 10x50's They get very good reviews and will be a lot easier to handle if not mounted. They will be steadier in the hand and less tiring for longer sessions.

Yes Alan that is the positive with these, but Like I mentioned the end viewed image is of more important, you reckon these would be sharper than the 15x70's, it's a big difference in the numbers. 

Just to add, I use the Celestrons hand-held, not for hours on end admittedly, but for casual use they are fine. I'd probably stop here at 15x70, anything more like 25x70 or 25x100 would definitely need a tripod. Two factors, increasing weight and increasing magnification mean they'd be no use hand-held. But 15x70 for me anyway I find I can get away with hand-held without much of a problem. I do sometimes use local objects as props. Elbows on a wall, table, car roof or against chest and sitting down all help. I chuck these in the car too, for that rare clear moment when out and about.

I'm an ex-owner of a pair of Celestron 15x70's and current owner of some Naturesport 10x50's.  I ended up ditching the celestrons due to collimation issues - they worked great if you looked through them cross-eyed, but that gets a bit tiring after a while.  If you can try before you buy and can guarantee that you are buying a fault free pair then they are excellent value for money.  The Naturesport 10x50's are decent and I'm really pleased with them.

I eventually started missing the power of 15x70's and ended up treating myself to some Helios Apollos - a perk of not being married.

I'm an ex-owner of a pair of Celestron 15x70's and current owner of some Naturesport 10x50's.  I ended up ditching the celestrons due to collimation issues - they worked great if you looked through them cross-eyed, but that gets a bit tiring after a while.  If you can try before you buy and can guarantee that you are buying a fault free pair then they are excellent value for money.  The Naturesport 10x50's are decent and I'm really pleased with them.

I eventually started missing the power of 15x70's and ended up treating myself to some Helios Apollos - a perk of not being married.

Thanks George a pretty decent summary/comparison.  I think it's going to be the celestrons after all, I won't have the option of checking the collimation is OK before I buy but I'm hoping that I'll be able to return for another set from whoever I purchase from if its out (collimation).

so what's the deal with colmination (never thought about this in terms of binoculars before) - I assume mine are ok, once focused properly the image is sweet. Maybe I got lucky or maybe I never noticed any issues. Should I been worried, is it obvious when out and can it be adjusted?

so what's the deal with colmination (never thought about this in terms of binoculars before) - I assume mine are ok, once focused properly the image is sweet. Maybe I got lucky or maybe I never noticed any issues. Should I been worried, is it obvious when out and can it be adjusted?

Yes some even brand new bins can be out of collimation. If you google it there is plenty of information out there about it. Its probably why it is better if you can test for this when you buy them but for many people that will not be realistic. Good news is that most sets have a collimaition adjustment screw to correct it. I also have the Celestron 15 x 70s and for me they are tripod only. Actually my set is pretty decent optically for the money but I have just got some Pentax 10 x 50 10x50 PCF WP II which are quite a jump up optically, and much better than the Celestrons with reduced CA and very sharp almost to the edge. I think the Pentax would be my first choice as these can be hand held as well for short periods. I still prefer bins on a tripod though.

I've owned the Celstron 15x70s for about 2 years.  They are heavy, they are big, and they are wonderful.  Mine came with a tripod mount, which is a bit shaky, so I'll be purchasing a heavier duty one in the future.  For stargazing they are great.  They work fine with and without glasses, and I had no collimation issues.  It's great to be able to search the sky so quickly.  I have seen the moons of Jupiter and comet Lovejoy (barely) as well as the moon (had to wear sunglasses!) and other objects.  I looked at plenty of different binoculars, and was very glad I chose these.  They let in so much light with that 70mm lens.  You will see stars appear where there was just a blank spot in the sky.  My best tip for using them is to hold them at the end near the lenses rather than close to your face.  This reduces the shake A LOT.  In my opinion these were a phenomenal value.  Good luck!

Lee,

You know from our previous correspondence what my experience and opinion of the Celestrons is; but I forgot to mention, and skywarden has just prodded my memory with the comment above - the supplied tripod adapter is useless, it has very little axial stiffness so the slightest knock sets the binocular oscillating horizontally. Budget for a metal replacement if you go for these bins.

I've owned the Celstron 15x70s for about 2 years.  They are heavy, they are big, and they are wonderful.  Mine came with a tripod mount, which is a bit shaky, so I'll be purchasing a heavier duty one in the future.  For stargazing they are great.  They work fine with and without glasses, and I had no collimation issues.  It's great to be able to search the sky so quickly.  I have seen the moons of Jupiter and comet Lovejoy (barely) as well as the moon (had to wear sunglasses!) and other objects.  I looked at plenty of different binoculars, and was very glad I chose these.  They let in so much light with that 70mm lens.  You will see stars appear where there was just a blank spot in the sky.  My best tip for using them is to hold them at the end near the lenses rather than close to your face.  This reduces the shake A LOT.  In my opinion these were a phenomenal value.  Good luck!

Thanks skywarden, interesting info and I think it's going to be the Celestrons after all as like I've mentioned they're going to tripod mounted and I think the 70mm over the 50mm will be a brighter image. 

Lee,

You know from our previous correspondence what my experience and opinion of the Celestrons is; but I forgot to mention, and skywarden has just prodded my memory with the comment above - the supplied tripod adapter is useless, it has very little axial stiffness so the slightest knock sets the binocular oscillating horizontally. Budget for a metal replacement if you go for these bins.

HI Gaz :smiley: yeh thanks mate, I figured the tripod mount would be pretty useless, looks like one of those heavy metal duty ones is the way to go.  I don't mean to moan but with this weather were having, I'm kinda thinking 'why exactly did I decide to take astronomy back up?' Poor weather and poor eyes.......I must be mad :eek:

I think I must have some weird trait that I subconsciously relish in the frustration that astronomy offers on a daily (or rather nightly) business......umm ...............

....ponders off with a wistful look to dust his SCT

Interesting. Well I don't think the pair I got had these issues mentioned. Whether they are too big or not isn't their fault, but what you get for the $ seemed pretty good VFM to me. I'll check if I do have the colmination screws next time I use them, as I like to tinker, but I think they are fine.

At just £58 on amazon at the moment and most reviews are very positive, a few people complaining if anything about the size (!) or the tripod mount. Admittedly the tripod mount looks a bit junk, I've never used it. I could see me wanting a nice pair of high IQ bins some time (and I'm a fan of Pentax for sure, see my camera...) but I think at that price difference it can wait. I hope you get a good pair and enjoy them as much as I have.

Not sure if I still have the original L adaptor but I remember it being very poor quality so I did upgrade to a solid metal one. The 15 x 70 just about fit nicely mounted onto my AZ4 so it makes for a nice combo. Tell you what Louis you would love the Pentax 10 x 50 s...... :smiley:

If I upgrade to C 15 x 70 , which I am seriously considering, I will get them from Amazon as their 30 days return policy is so good I'll have that time to check collumation and if it's out send back , for another pair or refund as I feel having played with them for a while.

I'm not sure whether or when Celestron took note of the adverse comments of the 'very poor quality' tripod brackets supplied with the 15x70 Skymasters, but this is NO LONGER THE CASE (sorry for shouting) and hasn't been so at least since March 2013! OK - you may well find the bins slightly miscollimated after five days in a YODEL van and may decide, like I did, to adjust them yourself, but rest assured that the bracket is now quite adequate to the task!

Archived