NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Large Dob advice please...

We went for solid tube as like you it's back garden observing for us.  I can just about carry the 10" out from our conversatory to our patio on my own but it would have needed 2 of us  to do the 12".  But them I'm a small, weak, middle aged female with back issues!  So, as others have said it's really down to seeing them in the flesh and finding out what you personally can cope with.

If money's tight I would say not to bust your whole budget on a fast scope - at f4.7  / f4.9 both will be fussy about EP's esp. widefield and it seems c. £100 per EP+ is really what's needed.  I believe a 10" + quality EP's to suit the scope, will perform better than a 12" with EP's that can't cope.  Of course, you may not be budget constrained, in which case go for the largest you can manhandle comfortably.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I own a Skywatcher Heritage 130p and over the past few months I have enjoyed fabulous views of the moon and clear, but very small, views of Jupiter, Mars and the Orion Nebula using the 25mm and 10mm Possil eyepieces supplied with the scope.

I decided to try upgrading the eyepieces so purchased 7mm and 18mm Celestron X-CEL LX's and a Seben 8-24mm FMC Zoom. All three provide sharper images than the cheaper eyepieces I already had but I am still not satisfied with what I am seeing. It needs to be bigger and more detailed to satisfy my desire.

Having researched the web and lots of threads on SGL I have decided to buy either the 250mm or 300mm Skywatcher Skyliner Dob, but I have two questions that I would appreciate assistance with before deciding what to buy…

1. Is there an appreciable difference in what I can expect to see when viewing planets through a 250mm or 300mm scope?

2. The FlexTube vesrion of these scopes are more expensive that the equivalent solid tubes. Is the principle difference the convenience of being able to collapse the scope to a small size for storage or are there optical benefits in going for the FlexTub version?

Any other advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Derek

the answers to your questions are not really and yes. you might get a minimal increase in detail on planets with the larger aperture but this will be a rarity in extremely good seeing. both will provide great views of planets alhough the image of the disk will be very small in the field as with all planets.

there is no major advantage to the flextube models, especially at this sizes other than being able to reduce their size a little for storage/transport.

the 10" is a lot smaller.

A 10" solid tube dob is certainly grab n go :D. I can set-up within 10 minutes including going up and down 3 flights of stairs ;).

Fair dues to you Naemeth

I really doubt if I could muster it if involved 3 flights of stairs, fortunately I just have to wheel mine out.

Hats off to you!

Barry

Fair dues to you Naemeth

I really doubt if I could muster it if involved 3 flights of stairs, fortunately I just have to wheel mine out.

Hats off to you!

Barry

To be fair, it's not something I do when I've had a long day at work. Those days I prefer binoculars :).

I'm really enjoying this thread as I keep getting tempted by a 10" solid tube SW and only to-day unexpectedly received a cheque that would cover nearly half the cost. I see a new scope on the horizon  :grin:

...or almost the full price if buying second hand!

There you go, just get the scope :D.

I'm really enjoying this thread as I keep getting tempted by a 10" solid tube SW and only to-day unexpectedly received a cheque that would cover nearly half the cost. I see a new scope on the horizon  :grin:

Just remebered, estwing put a 12.5inch solid tube meade in classifieds about 2 weeks ago for £270 and it looks like its still available... deffo worth considering and at a good price .

Just remebered, estwing put a 12.5inch solid tube meade in classifieds about 2 weeks ago for £270 and it looks like its still available... deffo worth considering and at a good price .

Thanks for the reminder.

I think that would be to big for my needs, shame really because it looks excellent.

You guys are great, always encouraging others to spend their cash :rolleyes:

Yes, share the pain. You'll rarely regret spending money in this hobby, frequently regret spending that little bit more. Entirely depends on how deep the pockets are, and commitment/return opinion

Beginning to quantify use/clouds ratio.

Then rationale fails.

Clouds= go cheap

Clouds = maximise use

I own a Skywatcher Heritage 130p ........................I have decided to buy either the 250mm or 300mm Skywatcher Skyliner Dob, but I have two questions that I would appreciate assistance with before deciding what to buy…

1. Is there an appreciable difference in what I can expect to see when viewing planets through a 250mm or 300mm scope?

2. The FlexTube vesrion of these scopes are more expensive that the equivalent solid tubes. Is the principle difference the convenience of being able to collapse the scope to a small size for storage or are there optical benefits in going for the FlexTub version?

Thanks

Derek

DRT.......mathematically, about 44% increase, with more surface area between the two primary mirrors, if my sums are correct? so yes, there will be a difference, but by how much will be down personal experience, depending on lenses ect, some may not even notice any changes ( I`m aware of a BST being smuggled into a high end test including TV's and the users were alarmed at the results!) That said, heavier, wider and costlier, are all considerations to be aware of. My  "200P will offer more than the 130P, But the 250 & 300 offers  more again, taking Seeing conditions, eyepieces and  own health (eyes) all taken into consideration. 8" Telescopes are  extremely popular, but as the  size and weights increase, will they get the same use! and can you haul it all around safely/securely? The best scope is the one that gets used the most. I would also prefer a solid tube. I cant see moving the secondary mirror in-out,  is such a great idea, and will that need a collimation check everytime? 
I`d start assessing from an 8" first. Bigger is better, but then bigger can also have its drawbacks too. That 12" mirror is great to capture the fainter objects, but only under perfect dark skies, use a 12" from my garden and there's just too much light pollution. This is one hobby that, no matter what you want to try and achieve, there is always a negative to the positives?

Thanks, Charic, all very sound advice.

I think I will plump for the 10". I'm fit enough to lug that around the garden and by the sounds of things I probably wouldn't get much more of an experience out of the 12" due to light polution and my own inexperience. The 10" will be a significant step-up from my current scope so that should do, at least for a while.

Thanks to eveyone for the advice, all of which is very much appreciated.

DRT

I used the same scope as you for three years & was very pleased with it. The middle of this year I bit the bullet & got the 300p flex tube.

I got to say that it has been the best decision I have made to enhance my love of astronomy. The first night out with it was a real eye opener.

The scope paid for it's self the moment the eyepiece focused on the moon for the first time. The rest of the night I spent with my eye glued to the eyepiece & my chin dragging on the patio slabs. A couple of weeks ago I got to see Jupiter for the first time through it. The visibility that night was the best I had seen in a while. Whoever says that dobs ain't no good for planets, I'll argue the toss with. As said by a previous poster it looked like a photo you would see in a book.

Don't be put off by the flextube. I have had no problems with collimation due to the tubes being extended & retracted. I can have it set up in about 8-10 mins including carrying it up two lots of steps, fitting shroud,dew heaters,cables & extension cable from shed.

10 or12 you won't be dissapointed.

Thanks, madsarmy, it is very good to hear positive feedback from someone who has experienced exactly what I am currently using and what I intend buying.

An hour ago I was convinced that the 10" was the way to go. I'm now asking myself whether or not 12" is big enough :eek:

DRT.........you'll soon be suffering astro-sickness soon, running round  like a mad dog in wild circles.  Its a serious condition exacerbated only by  aperture fever and ' mines bigger than yours' syndrome.  The synopsis is rather short though as you come to terms. and finally settle for your telescope of choice, make the  payment, wait anxiously  for its arrival, then the  indecisions again, was it the right choice?

The 10" sounds like a good choice to me. But then that 12" does look nice too . But If I get an 8" and...........and..........and? Lol 

Enjoy the process.

Archived