Now that's a telescope.....

Stu

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice scope :)

Saw this the other day. Thought hmmm! binocular project :D

For a man that thinks a 10 inch is a grab and go IIRC, that comes as no surprise to me :0). For some of is here there is the meter, the kilogram etc.  but it seems to me there is also the swamp scale somewhere in a swamp universe, that uses a  swamp meter and a swamp kilo .... I leave you to tell us what the conversion factors are :D  

The pictures don't really seem to do the size of the thing justice.  with a 20" mirror and being more than nine and a half feet long it must surely have a focal ratio about f/6.  That's a real beast.  No wonder it weights quarter of a tonne.

James

The pictures don't really seem to do the size of the thing justice.  with a 20" mirror and being more than nine and a half feet long it must surely have a focal ratio about f/6.  That's a real beast.  No wonder it weights quarter of a tonne. James

It's listed on AB&S as an f/4, the OTA is stated as 74" long.

School??? what sort of school would have something like this installed? must of cost a few bob in its day. We were lucky  to have a working school mini bus let alone a 20" telescope. Nuts.

Possibly donated by a former pupil rather than funded by the school itself.  Or perhaps it was a school project running over a number of years.

James

School??? what sort of school would have something like this installed? must of cost a few bob in its day. We were lucky to have a working school mini bus let alone a 20" telescope. Nuts.

Probably a public school. I've had the privilege of looking through the scope at Bedford school, which I believe is funded by donations from old pupils, and it's the best I've ever looked through (a 16" SCT).

Probably a public school. I've had the privilege of looking through the scope at Bedford school, which I believe is funded by donations from old pupils, and it's the best I've ever looked through (a 16" SCT).

It's a grammar school I believe.  I'm lost in the maze of different sorts of schools these days, but I believe grammar schools are state-funded?

James

Yes - Torquay Boys Grammar School - also used by the local astro soc:

http://www.halien.co.uk/TAS/

I think it also appeared in one of the editiions of Small Astronomical Observatories book.

And, I think that Chris Lintott went to Torquay BGS (and was inspired to do astronomy there...)

Callum

Edit note - sorry, always get my Torbays and Torquays mixed up...

Archived