Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Strange, cheap, yet essential... What's yours?!

PhotoGav

I've been wondering...

It's easy to spend a great deal on this wonderful hobby. However, some bits of kit are almost costless and provide a priceless function in your imaging set-up.

My piece of kit that fits this is the cardboard box, turned on its side, that I put the laptop in to keep it dry and warm!

What's yours?!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Torn between the flexible bits to adjust the focus on Meade ETX scopes or the £5 trolly bags that I have one for each scope with all the bits in it that I need to set up and use whatever scope - everything in one easy to grab bag.

the old trampoline (minus the springs) my daughter had that now makes a magnificent 8 foot diameter ground mat and 2 of the tubes that held the safety net that i've fixed some black plastic sheet to and fixed to the fence to block out the local street lights from shining directly into my garden

My home made glasses cord. Now I never misplace my glasses in the dark - or tread on them again :embarrassed:

Mine used to end up in my back pocket, then to be sat on :(

Fortunately (depending how you look at it) my eyes have deteriorated to the point that I now wear them all the time.

Mine used to end up in my back pocket, then to be sat on :(

Fortunately (depending how you look at it) my eyes have deteriorated to the point that I now wear them all the time.

The other night one lense popped out of my glasses. I didn't realise until morning - I wondered why the laptop screen looked strange that night, lol

It has got to be my "tennis ball can finder scope":

:post-32768-0-87235300-1386251977_thumb.j

Drill 8mm hole in one end, garden wire cross hairs in the other, blue tack fixings and garden string tether (to prevent an embracing tin/primary mirror incident...).

Now I can always get the right star in my 8x50 finder! Has revolutionised my star gazing.

Paul

NB. Discovered last night that Blue tack ain't great in sub zero temps.

• 2 months later...

1. Strawberry Quality Streets. For the wrappers. (Until I discovered Ryman sell red cellophane). 

2. A small roll of white reflective sticky tape (found in the car repair section from The Range).

3. And a soft sided tool bag for my essential observing kit (bins, skychart, gloves, hat, red torch, head torch, hairdryer, phone, keys, Jaffa Cakes etc).

It has got to be my "tennis ball can finder scope"::attachicon.gifimage.jpgDrill 8mm hole in one end, garden wire cross hairs in the other, blue tack fixings and garden string tether (to prevent an embracing tin/primary mirror incident...).Now I can always get the right star in my 8x50 finder! Has revolutionised my star gazing.PaulNB. Discovered last night that Blue tack ain't great in sub zero temps.

Love this. I'm gonna nick this idea. Ta very much :-)

Archived