Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Strange, cheap, yet essential... What's yours?!

PhotoGav

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use a old set of my wife's black pantihose, to stretch onto my neoprene dew shield around my scope to hold it in place.

It works a treat and gives my night out a sense of sexy adventure  :rolleyes:

Just keep an eye on images of your fellow astronomers' rigs. You woudn't want said items appearing everywhere!!!  :eek:

Olly

An A3 sheet of black craft foam to make a "cone of darkness" around the camera lens. It extends 10" beyond the lens and does a great job of stopping the light from the street light from ruining images.post-32477-139215965129_thumb.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

My solution to the Polar Scope neck wrenching, backbreaking and lying on the ground every time I setup up the scope for under £5.00.

I bought a 90 deg viewfinder from Ebay, some O rings and a 32mm to 40mm plumbing fitting.

I put 2 O-rings around the end of the Polar Scope.  2 around the 40mm end of the pipe fitting and attached the viewfinder and then glued them into place. Now I just have to push the 32mm end onto the Polar Scope and bingo it stays there - so now I can bend over and align Polaris. Total cost 1.89 for the view finder, 1.59 for the O-rings and 1.49 for the fitting - c/o B&Q.   :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Paul that is genius, love it. For me it's also got to be red quality street wrappers, every torch I own is rocking a red light filter! Also for bino users a cheap purchase of some spare lens caps and some baader astro film make for some decent budget solar filters :D

At least 30 x 2p coins. I use them to count my lights, darks and bias etc. If I'm doing more than 30 sec exposures then I loose count so I put a coin down every time I take an exposure, and the copper 2p stands out nice against an old white board I balance my kit on :)

I can then concentrate on the view and not worry if that was my 15th or 18th light frame!

Archived