NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Flocking

Okeydokey

I go along with Callum here that it isn't necessary to flock the whole tube. I placed a piece of Wilko's velum on the inner tube wall behind the focuser. The material has a short pile that's very effective at trapping and absorbing photons.

Most mass-produced reflectors have a main tube that's too short. I made a foot-long extension from a camping mat to fit the front end of the 8-inch Newt and lined it with velum.

• 4 weeks later...

The Wilkos/FLO stuff is also what I used in my old 200p and again in the UTA on my dob. The one thing I would say is that in the 200p, I did notice a little bit of fibre shedding. After a while there was a fine smattering of short black fluff on the primary. Apparently a quick spray with hairspray after fitting will stop this and seal it all together?? TBH, the shedding was never a problem, certainly did not affect the views at all.

I haven't done a full spectrum scan on the reflective properties of the velour, but I did do a quick test yesterday at 980nm (near IR) and did find it to be quite reflective at that wavelength. But it does seem to do well in the visible wavelengths, it has less reflectivity than the 'black' paint they seem to use on telescopes, so that's a plus for the velour in the visible band at least.

Archived