Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

No more spending....

Naemeth

I mean it, I won't be spending anything more on astronomy stuff (unless it's from money that I get from selling stuff I already have) until March. I'm going on an Astro Holiday and need to save for it! Didn't stop me adding the following before stopping myself getting anything more:

Nikon Action EX 8x40 CF Binoculars

Vixen 80M Achromatic Refractor

That's also why I've changed my signature to no longer list my equipment, hopefully that should quell temptation, somehow.

Side note, I wonder how long this will last :rolleyes:.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard it all before, bet you said this to yourself after the 3rd scope. more so at the fourth and certainly at the fifth, but you have six at present and the 80M expected.

How many times per month do you use a scope?

Heard it all before, bet you said this to yourself after the 3rd scope. more so at the fourth and certainly at the fifth, but you have six at present and the 80M expected.

How many times per month do you use a scope?

I last said it in July :rolleyes:.

Probably 3-4 times a month, often the weather / work schedule isn't onside. To me it's not about the frequency, I'd rather be out for over an hour than 4 quick 15 minute sessions.

To me it's not about the frequency, I'd rather be out for over an hour than 4 quick 15 minute sessions.

Totally agree Jonathan. It's about quality not quantity for me too. I'd rather be out once a month under dark skies than every other night from my LP back yard.

Naemeth

Or have you changed your signature simply because you've run out of available listing space for all the equipment?  :lol:

Seriously though, anyone starting a book or sweepstake on this?  Good luck bud!!  :icon_salut:

Naemeth

Or have you changed your signature simply because you've run out of available listing space for all the equipment?  :lol:

Seriously though, anyone starting a book or sweepstake on this?  Good luck bud!!  :icon_salut:

At one point that happened, I shortened what I put, it happened again, shortened it again. To be honest, it wouldn't take much to push it over the threshold, enough for me to only name my OTAs and leave the eyepieces out :evil: .

Be great though if people could start a sweepstake for it though, might just put together enough to pay for my astro holiday afterall, so I can have my cake and eat it too! (Buy an Astrotrac for the holiday :D)

But yeah, I'm serious. No more, would lock away debit card if it was practical.

Totally agree Jonathan. It's about quality not quantity for me too. I'd rather be out once a month under dark skies than every other night from my LP back yard.

Indeed, looking forward to Friday night - a night with Leeds Astronomical Society out observing. I'm off work, off until the evening the next day and it's looking clear at the moment! Fingers crossed :D

I wish you luck with the Holiday plan, Jon. Do you have an idea set of where you'd like to be going?

I do appreciate that buying astrononmy gear is tempting and too often expensive, so in order to save for your holiday it might be an idea to write down a list of reasons why you don't need to buy more stuff and why you fancy going away; what you want to look at, visit, what you may want to learn, and so on. Another tip could be to open up a bank or post office account and put away what you need to save and tell yourself that this money simply 'doesn't exist' for now. 

But don't go beating yourself up if you don't manage to get there. Even if you only get half way, you'll still be able to find a decent dark site holiday to enjoy, or you could use that cash to get something you really, really wanted. You're doing alright and above all, astronomy is so much healthier, more intelligent and life inspiring than p****sing your wages up against some city wall on a friday night - if you pardon my Spanish :grin:

I wish you luck with the Holiday plan, Jon. Do you have an idea set of where you'd like to be going?

I do appreciate that buying astrononmy gear is tempting and too often expensive, so in order to save for your holiday it might be an idea to write down a list of reasons why you don't need to buy more stuff and why you fancy going away; what you want to look at, visit, what you may want to learn, and so on. Another tip could be to open up a bank or post office account and put away what you need to save and tell yourself that this money simply 'doesn't exist' for now. 

But don't go beating yourself up if you don't manage to get there. Even if you only get half way, you'll still be able to find a decent dark site holiday to enjoy, or you could use that cash to get something you really, really wanted. You're doing alright and above all, astronomy is so much healthier, more intelligent and life inspiring than p****sing your wages up against some city wall on a friday night - if you pardon my Spanish :grin:

Olly's place :D.

Thanks for the advice Rob, will start a list tomorrow :).

I'm an astro-hoarder. I could never sell something to fund the purchase of something else. I did once sell a Celestron SkyScout for a fraction of what it cost me but lets face it..............selling a SkyScout is no real loss.

In the 12 mths i owned it, i used it twice.

If the EP had any kind of magnification it might have been ok, but it had zero mag which meant it really was so innacurate.

I'm an astro-hoarder. I could never sell something to fund the purchase of something else. I did once sell a Celestron SkyScout for a fraction of what it cost me but lets face it..............selling a SkyScout is no real loss.

In the 12 mths i owned it, i used it twice.

If the EP had any kind of magnification it might have been ok, but it had zero mag which meant it really was so innacurate.

In the time I've been in this hobby seriously (since I joined here in April last year) I've only sold one thing... in a way, maybe I am a bit of a hoarder.

Stick a label on each scope and log on it the amount of time you actually use it.

Check after 12 months.... might be sobering!

I only have the one scope and its scary the amount of time it DOESN'T get used!

I must admit I'm in the "no more spending" camp at the moment, I'm happy with my current set up.

It may also be something to do with my oldest daughter going through Uni at the moment so any astro spending is on hold until she grad................. oh wait, my youngest will be leaving school by then........... HELP!!!  :grin:

A holiday at Olly's sounds awesome, Jonathan. 20 inch dob, Tec 140, Tak, solar scope, multiple imaging rigs.

I sense a fresh round of spending in March :grin::evil:

It does indeed, definitely worth the pause in spending.

Of course there is going to be a fresh round of spending in March, once funds have recovered of course :rolleyes:.

I have decided that Astronomy is more about spending money or planning what to buy next, having got home this evening about 21:00.

I had watched the stars taunting me all evening while at work, only for clouds to roll in within 10 minutes of getting home!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived