NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

No more spending....

Naemeth

Mmmm,

I'm new to the hobby, though with a lifetime of interest in astronomy and cosmology. I thought that my budget scope would suit me fine. A week in and i'm already discussing the best EP upgrades. Then I kept daydreaming about motorising it whilst twiddling the manual RA cable.

Alignment could be easier and the mount could be more rigid, too, come to think of it. I envisaged mounts that could be levelled on the tripod with spirit-levels built in and could rotate to set the polar axis. I hope such things don't exist, or I'll want one of them, too.

I can see how it gets addictive.

Is there an equivalent of a nicotine patch for amateur astronomers?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Tell me about it. I bought a standard 8SE package second hand just after new year and I've spent a further £500+ optimizing it. Just need to sort out my finder arrangement then i'm banning myself from more spends.

Typically the combi boiler blew up last week and I have a big car service in Feb/.

It doesn't rain but it pours! 

Are we supposed to use the kit we buy :smiley:

Just drool on the pictures in reviews and in the webshop, order it, check your track and trace number every minute, take the day off when it arrives, set it up in the living room, make a picture of the setup to show off in sgl and finally, download a vastly superior image from the Hubble.....

In the 25 years I have been in this hobby I have had numerous telescopes but could never see the point of

having more than 2 at anyone time, lets face it you buy a telescope to observe through and can only use 1 at a time

so if you have several sat around collecting dust it is just a waste of money and space  and the money could be used to buy

something useful like another bike ??? 

In the 25 years I have been in this hobby I have had numerous telescopes but could never see the point of

having more than 2 at anyone time, lets face it you buy a telescope to observe through and can only use 1 at a time

so if you have several sat around collecting dust it is just a waste of money and space  and the money could be used to buy

something useful like another bike ??? 

I can't take my 10" dob cycling, I don't use my 66mm (which I take cycling) at other times. Sometimes I don't feel like taking the big dob out (therefore go for either the 80M or 150P), sometimes want minimal set-up (a job the Heritage used to fill quite well - may get a replacement for it), I've got my ST80 for some solar work and the ED80 gives lovely crisp star fields.

So, they all have a point - so while I appreciate your point of view, there is a small part of this hobby they each fulfill better than the rest :).

Another bike would probably get sat collecting dust though :rolleyes:.

I can't take my 10" dob cycling, I don't use my 66mm (which I take cycling) at other times. Sometimes I don't feel like taking the big dob out (therefore go for either the 80M or 150P), sometimes want minimal set-up (a job the Heritage used to fill quite well - may get a replacement for it), I've got my ST80 for some solar work and the ED80 gives lovely crisp star fields.

So, they all have a point - so while I appreciate your point of view, there is a small part of this hobby they each fulfill better than the rest :).

what about getting a tandem, at least swmbo will use half of it, hehe

Don't have an other half (anymore), one of the reasons I've got away with so many scopes :D.

and in all honesty, scopes are probably cheaper in the long run, getting married in april and I could have bought a top dollar scope and bag full of naglers with ghe money. Upshot is I am honeymooning on the equator for 3 weeks and a travel scope has beenarranged and rubber stamped by swmbo, so kts not all bad, hah!

and in all honesty, scopes are probably cheaper in the long run, getting married in april and I could have bought a top dollar scope and bag full of naglers with ghe money. Upshot is I am honeymooning on the equator for 3 weeks and a travel scope has beenarranged and rubber stamped by swmbo, so kts not all bad, hah!

The money I've invested in this hobby could probably pay for a small wedding :evil:.

There's no need for approval of course. It's only the space in my room that dictates the equipment I get now :rolleyes:.

Really need a good run of clear night. Get used to what I have and use the lenses I had for Christmas, set of 5 plossl.

Also the holiday to Thassos recently booked has put a stop to it for now.

I'm sure the more experienced members on this forum can help with idea's for this, how do I convince the other half its a good idea to take the skope to Greece :grin: .

To start you off we have a DHL account at work.......

Archived