NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another expat

oslo

Hi all,

Have caught the bug after taking a course in basic astronomy with the OU.

Have been browsing this site for some time now and gleaning some very useful information in preparation for the purchase of my first 'scope. I am 99% sure to go for the Skywatcher 200P with HEQ5 mount. My credit card is burning a hole in my wallet !

I foresee a steep learning curve ahead, but then I am reliably informed by the knowledgeable guys here that learning the night sky is most of the fun. Armed with "turn left at Orion" and "Stargazing with a telescope", I am hoping for some clear skies.

I am very fortunate to live in a rural area of south west France, which has the benefit of minimal light pollution (or any other pollution for that matter).

I will be spending the month of January in the UK before returning back to France. Just hope that I can pack that beast in my car along with all the cans of baked beans and curry paste.

Can't wait for those balmy summer evenings when the skies are crystal clear.

best wishes,

Oslo

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're making us jealous with those dark skies and minimal light pollution.

All the best!

Roy

Not to mention its a lot warmer, gets dark in summer and the wine is loads cheaper. :D

Welcome to SGL Oslo.

Kaptain Klevtsov

True for the summer and the wine. Winters can be cold though. -9C recorded in November 2007.

Not my intention to make anyone jealous. Thanks for the warm welcome.......fine bunch of people on here

Enjoy you stay Oslo, and I hope you choose a good instrument to get the Wow feeling that browsing the sky gives you.

You mean business then having taken the OU course in basic astronomy. It can only have helped you a great deal.

Cheers.

Ron. :D

Enjoy you stay Oslo, and I hope you choose a good instrument to get the Wow feeling that browsing the sky gives you.

You mean business then having taken the OU course in basic astronomy. It can only have helped you a great deal.

Cheers.

Ron. :D

Thanks,

actually I took basic Astronomy as a diversion in between studying Mathematics. Now in my sixties and finding out that there is still loads to learn. The OU has opened up many avenues for me. Basic astronomy is mind boggling....heaven knows what the advanced stuff will throw up !!

regards,

Oslo

Hi oslo,

Welcome to SGL from another "brit abroad".

I live in the Limousin, Near Oradour-sur-Glane, and, like you, have wonderful skies at night! We will have to arrange a star-party here for our cloudy-sky friends!

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Good to have you aboard!

Nick.

Some of us have our tents packed and ready to go at a moments notice :D:rolleyes:

Welcome Oslo

You won't be disappointed with that scope and mount - wonderful views I promise you!

Hi Daz,

Tents at this time of year ? Are you a serving member of the SAS? Will have to consider that prospect for the summer.

Reassuring to know that my choice of 'scope will not be disappointing. Going to order it Monday. Christmas has come a little late (or is that very early) this time. Unfortunately the light pollution where I am staying is very bad, so wil have to wait for the return to France.

regards,

Outer Space Liaison Officer

Hi oslo,

Welcome to SGL from another "brit abroad".

I live in the Limousin, Near Oradour-sur-Glane, and, like you, have wonderful skies at night! We will have to arrange a star-party here for our cloudy-sky friends!

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Good to have you aboard!

Nick.

Hi Nick,

Have looked on the map, and I am located about 200kms south west of you. Not so far to arrange a star-party maybe for the summer !!

Will try to keep in touch when I eventually get my 'scope up and running in France.

regards,

Oslo

Hi Oslo welcome to SGL forums from me here in Leeds Near France but just far enough away from it to keep it in Yorkshire :D

Ah yes, isn't that where the pilgrims flock to. My mistake, that's Lourdes :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived