NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

You can't be serious?!!

emadmoussa

Very cool photo (not my description, it's Sky-watcher's) showing that Sky-Watcher is a part of the fashion world: Esprit 150 & AZ-E6Q mount on dispay in the Ralph Lauren store in the fashionable Via Montenapoleone in Milan, Italy. The display goes until 2014 February.

1425454_643016999083878_1733487914_o.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I don't understand about Sky-watcher and other manufacturers such as Celestron (well...they're the same)...they make very expensive telescopes and you pay a lot of money for them, and yet always get rubbish accessories. The eyepiece in the picture is retailed at around £40..you would've though for a 150mm Esprit which costs no less than £4000 you'll get a better eyepiece with it.

What I don't understand about Sky-watcher and other manufacturers such as Celestron (well...they're the same)...they make very expensive telescopes and you pay a lot of money for them, and yet always get rubbish accessories. The eyepiece in the picture is retailed at around £40..you would've though for a 150mm Esprit which costs no less than £4000 you'll get a better eyepiece with it.

The top quality manufacturers mostly don't give you any accessories at all with the scopes on the basis that they assume that discerning buyers will either have their own stuff already or will want to choose their own.

If you are in the market for a £4K scope, the fact that one comes with a slightly better eyepiece than the other is the least of your concerns I'd suggest.

What an unbelievable waste of perfectly good optics.  All that time spent going through manufacturing, quality assurance ensuring that the resultant optiucs and scope meet the exceedingly high standards for such a scope only to have it plonked in a 2 bit shop as an ornament.

EDIT: On reflection that has to be a tax scam in operation. Clearly someone involved in the shop or the display wants that setup and got an opportunity to pitch an astro themed winter clothing display.  Once the display is ended the 'props' are probably tax write offs and the person can purchase the scope off of the company at some ridiculously low price.  If that is indeed the case then full Kudos to that individual.

At least we know once telescopes are handled by models they'll either be pink in colour or used like this

I think it's forgiveable for a layperson not to know how a newt is used, and maybe even a Mak or SCT, but I'd really have thought that knowing which end of a standard refractor telescope you put your eye to would be part of our cultural consciousness.  Clearly I am wrong :)

James

I think it's forgiveable for a layperson not to know how a newt is used, and maybe even a Mak or SCT, but I'd really have thought that knowing which end of a standard refractor telescope you put your eye to would be part of our cultural consciousness.  Clearly I am wrong :)

James

I thought that was common sense...obviously not

biology-astronomy-fails.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, that eyepiece is a Pentax XL, do they sell that cheaply in the UK?

Archived