Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Keswick, The Lake District

Keswickpete

Hi everyone,

Have been interested in Astronomy for a couple of years and have had a great time learning with a Celestron First Scope. I have now bought the new Skywatcher Skymax127 with a SupaTrak mount and am loving using it. The only thing I don't like about it is the cheap eyepieces so I have ordered a Baader Hyperion 24mm, £65 a Xmas present to myself!.

I live in Portinscale which is a village just outside Keswick. I am lucky living here (for many reasons!) as I have good dark skies and an excellent east facing viewing area behind tyhe garage.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure about no light polution, there is always the odd security light plus a glow over Keswick. However we are fairly high up and can see 31 mountains (my other love) from our house. Shame about the weather!!. Still it is looking better for the weekend.

Thanks for the web site address for the Cockermouth AS. I once turned up for one of their viewing evenings and was the only one there!!.

I am surprised to hear that Pete, Although I do know the Guy who was the driving force behind that society, Stuart Atkinson, who was very active in the area, both for organising their events, and also visiting schools to give talks on astronomy. You also may hear him on Radio Cumbria on a regular basis, especially if an event of sorts, such as the comet Holmes 17p captures the headines.

Having checked, Stuart has left Cockermouth, and is now living in Kendal, from where he now runs their astro society.

Typical really, when the main cog leaves an organisation, some of them collapse like a pack of cards.

Carlisle is still going, but a bit far for you to travel.

Ron.

Archived