SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

Well, what a brilliant evening! It was lovely to meet you Adam - hopefully we'll get out for more viewing sessions very soon.

It has been a bit of an unusual evening, however I believe a good time was had by all.

Very positive AGM, and we have a fabulous society which I know will continue from strength to strength.

We had a good hour after the pub, with views including M45, M42, Jupiter, M81 & M82 and a viewing of comet Catalina thanks to the persistence of some of the gang!

Thank you all again for helping make our little society the success it is :)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, what a brilliant evening! It was lovely to meet you Adam - hopefully we'll get out for more viewing sessions very soon.

It has been a bit of an unusual evening, however I believe a good time was had by all.

Very positive AGM, and we have a fabulous society which I know will continue from strength to strength.

We had a good hour after the pub, with views including M45, M42, Jupiter, M81 & M82 and a viewing of comet Catalina thanks to the persistence of some of the gang!

Thank you all again for helping make our little society the success it is :)

It was a great night, with a pub break in the middle, I could get use to that. I'm now the webmaster and the forum master lol. Here's hoping it's going to be a good year ahead.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

It was a great night, with a pub break in the middle, I could get use to that. I'm now the webmaster and the forum master lol. Here's hoping it's going to be a good year ahead

Yup, Web Master and King of the Forum! You're not doing too bad are you Mr White lol ;)

I'm proper buzzing - don't know if it's the beer or the great company.

You're not a bad bunch :)

Hoping that Adam isn't wondering what the heck he's signed up to......... hehe

That rights wait till I go home [emoji24].

Had a good night first time Iv been stargazing in a hailstorm different.

Welcome to all the new members and was nice to see everyone else let's hope this cloud dose one and soon

Mark

Hi all it's me (the none post-er) I've got some links for AstroFarm in France so you can have a look. 10 spaces in total with most filled already. If you're interested please get in touch with me and I'll add you to the list, if there's enough interest I will look at booking a second weekend so nobody misses out. 

As soon as Sue emails me back I'll reply to this thread so that you all know when the deposit needs to be paid by and what the price is in GBP (1300 euros for bed, breakfast, lunch and evening meal for the full group)

Dates – Saturday 27th August to Tuesday 30th August

Links For AstroCamp France

http://theknowledgeobservatory.com/

Equipment available to hire (25 euros per night) 

http://theknowledgeobservatory.com/equipment-resources/

Vicky (Woozy) Dews

Hi all it's me (the none post-er) I've got some links for AstroFarm in France so you can have a look. 10 spaces in total with most filled already. If you're interested please get in touch with me and I'll add you to the list, if there's enough interest I will look at booking a second weekend so nobody misses out. 

As soon as Sue emails me back I'll reply to this thread so that you all know when the deposit needs to be paid by and what the price is in GBP (1300 euros for bed, breakfast, lunch and evening meal for the full group)

Dates – Saturday 27th August to Tuesday 30th August

Links For AstroCamp France

http://theknowledgeobservatory.com/

Equipment available to hire (25 euros per night) 

http://theknowledgeobservatory.com/equipment-resources/

Vicky (Woozy) Dews

Hi all,

Sue has got back to me straight away, 50 euro each deposit by the end of March and total to be paid in full at the end of June. She has also asked if we mind them advertising that we're coming (I think we're the first astro society to confirm a booking) it's not a problem to me, anyone have any objections?

What a magic night last night was lol!! The biggest club turn out viewing session yet! Pub break in the middle was actually a nice touch! Really glad I got to see Catalina before she disappears.

That's really unfortunate you didn't manage to capture it Soupy after staying up so late! I have no idea how you even function on 1.5 hours sleep! Id be dead to the world this morning.

Shame I didn't make the AGM but it was out of my control unfortunately. Glad to hear the places got filled and good luck to the new committee members.

Thanks again everyone for a great night! [emoji437][emoji4]

Great meeting tonight with many members voted in to new positions and

the society itinerary set out for the coming months.

Welcome to the new members and I do hope you enjoyed the rather hit and miss viewing session. Was good to see new faces and the regulars but most of all our old friends the stars putting in an appearance.

Hope you got some more viewing in Adam and the red dot finder behaved itself. Fingers crossed the skies were kind to everyone when you all returned to Overton.

Enjoyed the pub and shame I had to leave due to wanting an early night.

Clear skies

Well, I set up again when I got home as the sky was clear (typical), had 1.5 hours visual and managed to tick off a couple of messiers I hadn't seen before, and also spent a good 20mins on Jupiter which was a reasonably good view saying as it wasn't that high at the time., the wifi system on my new scope I cant make my mind up about it as yet, kept cutting off so alignment was in then out lol, so I finished up getting the map out and using that, which was ok to a point given the light pollution in my back yard, however, despite the hail shower we all had to suffer up at the cricket club it was a good evening out and the AGM meeting went well also I thought.

Eric

ps: Nearer the time I probably will need some advice for the camping trip up to kielder in March,( what kit etc to take) last time I did any camping was 1975 in the Brecon Beacons lol.

Hi all,

Sue has got back to me straight away, 50 euro each deposit by the end of March and total to be paid in full at the end of June. She has also asked if we mind them advertising that we're coming (I think we're the first astro society to confirm a booking) it's not a problem to me, anyone have any objections?

No objection from me, if we can help them out it might help us out in the long run too. What's the easiest way to arrange collection of deposit and then full amount from those that are going.

Was a very enjoyable evening last night and even managed to look through a telescope for the first time in a couple of years!

Matt.

Sounds brilliant Woozy... No problem with her advertising us going as a society, think we should also put it on our website!

Ryan I did get it, got quite a few pics actually but they are not great, I was using the ED80 so it's more wide field, took me ages to get it as I didn't stick the finder on which probably wouldn't have mattered anyway! I will post pic in a few minutes

Well, I set up again when I got home as the sky was clear (typical), had 1.5 hours visual and managed to tick off a couple of messiers I hadn't seen before, and also spent a good 20mins on Jupiter which was a reasonably good view saying as it wasn't that high at the time., the wifi system on my new scope I cant make my mind up about it as yet, kept cutting off so alignment was in then out lol, so I finished up getting the map out and using that, which was ok to a point given the light pollution in my back yard, however, despite the hail shower we all had to suffer up at the cricket club it was a good evening out and the AGM meeting went well also I thought.

Eric

ps: Nearer the time I probably will need some advice for the camping trip up to kielder in March,( what kit etc to take) last time I did any camping was 1975 in the Brecon Beacons lol.

You managed to find the EPs you lobbed in the boot during the hailstorm panic then lol?

How does the scope use wifi, and how does it work when your out in the field so to speak, like at the cricket club yesterday?

Matt.

Well, I set up again when I got home as the sky was clear (typical), had 1.5 hours visual and managed to tick off a couple of messiers I hadn't seen before, and also spent a good 20mins on Jupiter which was a reasonably good view saying as it wasn't that high at the time., the wifi system on my new scope I cant make my mind up about it as yet, kept cutting off so alignment was in then out lol, so I finished up getting the map out and using that, which was ok to a point given the light pollution in my back yard, however, despite the hail shower we all had to suffer up at the cricket club it was a good evening out and the AGM meeting went well also I thought.

Eric

ps: Nearer the time I probably will need some advice for the camping trip up to kielder in March,( what kit etc to take) last time I did any camping was 1975 in the Brecon Beacons lol.

Hi Eric, it's chris, what sort if wifi issues do you get? I had a problem with mine early on and it turned out to be the tablet that I was running the software on for some reason. I tried it on my phone and it's been fine since then.

The hudl tablet would report that it lost connection to the scope, despite me being right next to it.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

right here is a rather grainy image of Comet Catalina, cropped from the original. tried to play around with the levels somewhat but not able to get any tail! :(

Nothing wrong with that Soupy - well done!

You lot have got me looking forward to Kielder now - let's hope the cloud gods are kinder to us than they were in October :)

Archived