SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

Regarding Flight cases,  when I used to do band stuff years ago, we got all hour flight cases custom made by flight cases uk in Bradford (google for it)  was not that much more expensive than buying a premade one from  maplin cpc thormann etc

Have finally updated my phone to an android one from a windows one, so whats the best astro app for it, I coul never get stellarium to work properly on the windows phone, does it work on android (kitecat version I think - phone is a Samsung A3)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding Flight cases, when I used to do band stuff years ago, we got all hour flight cases custom made by flight cases uk in Bradford (google for it) was not that much more expensive than buying a premade one from maplin cpc thormann etc

Have finally updated my phone to an android one from a windows one, so whats the best astro app for it, I coul never get stellarium to work properly on the windows phone, does it work on android (kitecat version I think - phone is a Samsung A3)

I use a few for android.

Night sky tools (general things, planets )

Astro panel (for astro weather)

Meteor shower calander

Hevans above

Aurora watch

Sky portal (sky map)

There just a few

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

I went down to the shop for you Adam, they have sold out. I checked the other shop too but they had none as Vicky mentioned. If I were you, id order it from there website if its still on there, i think its free delivery to the store if you want me to pick it up.

No worries cheers anyway buddy

Chris your pic from stellarium made me laugh... On the bottom it says

"Earth,Barnsley"

Has Barnsley now taken over the space that Earth resides in? "Earth, Barnsley, the Solar System, the Milkyway, the Virgo cluster..."

Is the Solar System next (T'Barnsley System?) Then T'Barnsley Galaxy, what after that? T'Barnsley super cluster... Yorkshire'll become t'language oft'stars!

Great case mods byt'way chaps an't chapesses...

Chris your pic from stellarium made me laugh... On the bottom it says

"Earth,Barnsley"

Has Barnsley now taken over the space that Earth resides in? "Earth, Barnsley, the Solar System, the Milkyway, the Virgo cluster..."

Is the Solar System next (T'Barnsley System?) Then T'Barnsley Galaxy, what after that? T'Barnsley super cluster... Yorkshire'll become t'language oft'stars!

Great case mods byt'way chaps an't chapesses...

Lol quality :) ya right lad though, only a mata of time before tarn as it's know has its own galaxy.

Had a very productive morning.

Thank you for the information on the flight cases Derek - definitely one to look into when I get some cash.

Got a few of my accessories and EPs in the case - decided to lay the EPs down as it was a bit tight on the depth, plus I can't see me getting so many more! Think I've decided to get a couple more BST Explorer/Starguider EPs as and when I see them :)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Very nice Vicky ,I see the price has gone up to £34.99

Neil

Hmm, maybe we should bring our scopes on Thursday so we can do a bit of viewing after the meeting rather than going to the pub......

Oh, wash my mouth out! LOL

Neil - I noticed the case was £34.99 on the link Chris posted, but I only got mine on Sunday from the Wakefield Cathedral Retail Park store and it was at £19.99. It would be a shame if they've put them back up in price again so soon.

Been doing a bit more work on it this evening, and I think I've got everything in that I have loose as far as my visual gear is concerned.

I've even cut a slot for any Allen keys that are specific to the kit in the box e,g. the RDF adjustment keys.

Note that I have wrapped a bit of white tape around them to make them easier to find if I drop them "in the field" - top tip as recommended to myself by fellow astro friends :)

post-39306-0-97787200-1451948141_thumb.j

Hmm, maybe we should bring our scopes on Thursday so we can do a bit of viewing after the meeting rather than going to the pub......

Oh, wash my mouth out! LOL

Neil - I noticed the case was £34.99 on the link Chris posted, but I only got mine on Sunday from the Wakefield Cathedral Retail Park store and it was at £19.99. It would be a shame if they've put them back up in price again so soon.

Been doing a bit more work on it this evening, and I think I've got everything in that I have loose as far as my visual gear is concerned.

I've even cut a slot for any Allen keys that are specific to the kit in the box e,g. the RDF adjustment keys.

Note that I have wrapped a bit of white tape around them to make them easier to find if I drop them "in the field" - top tip as recommended to myself by fellow astro friends :)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nice flight case vicky, I need to do something like this, all my stuff is just in a plastic travel box.

Nice flight case vicky, I need to do something like this, all my stuff is just in a plastic travel box.

That's exactly why I've treated myself - I've been meaning to get it sorted for a while.

All my stuff was packed in a plastic box, and I have left some bits in there such as my leads/cables, handset and finderscope etc.

However, my star diagonals, EPs and RDF were in their boxes and I just seemed to take ages unpacking them each time I wanted to use them. I have kept all their boxes, but put them away in a plastic box with bits I'm not using right now.

Plus, you forget how much some of the stuff has cost, and it's a shame for it to be getting knocked around in a plastic box - think there's probably the thick end of £300 worth of stuff in my case already - pretty scary when you start to add it up!

I really wish the rest of my house was as tidy and organised as my astro-gear in Vic's Astronomy Central lol :)

Had a quick look at those cases Derek suggested but I'm not sure they would be big enough for an EQ6 head? Maybe the HEQ5 would fit.

I found a thread on here showing the head in the case and the guy said he had to wedge it in so wasn't good enough.

I also found these at £48 item number 262176305745 on the ever so popular auction site.

I use a Skywatcher SkyMax 150 case for my EQ6 head: http://www.green-witch.com/skywatcher-skymax-150-case-1540-p.asp

Then I just had to alter/modify the interior foam for a nice fit.

Thanks for the info Matt - think you'd mentioned before that you used a SkyWatcher case, but I couldn't remember which one.

Thank you for all your help with the cases - definitely given me a lot to think about when I have the funds to make a purchase :)

Very nice Vicky ,I see the price has gone up to £34.99

Neil

I'm glad I got mine before Christmas at £19.99 - much better price point than £35.

Looks like there is plenty more space for a few more eyepieces there Vicky

Had a quick look at those cases Derek suggested but I'm not sure they would be big enough for an EQ6 head? Maybe the HEQ5 would fit.

I found a thread on here showing the head in the case and the guy said he had to wedge it in so wasn't good enough.

I also found these at £48 item number 262176305745 on the ever so popular auction site.

Oh Ye of little faith !

I was trying to get the idea across about the case types and sizes (note I did say without wheels).  The actual one I HAD MY EQ6 IN was

Order Code: SG33494

• Carrying Case Material:  PP (Polypropylene) 

• Case Colour:  Black 

• External Depth - Imperial:  8.46" 

• External Depth - Metric:  215mm 

• External Height - Imperial:  16.73" 

• External Height - Metric:  425mm 

• External Width - Imperial:  22.4" 

• External Width - Metric:  569mm

Price for: Each 1

Minimum order quantity: 1

Order multiple quantity: 1

Price: £25.53 (£30.636)

And they are built like a tank. See the post #9711 with the white foam infill same case.. I aslo showed my present mount in a slightly smaller Peli Case. My mount is slightly bigger than the EQ6

Tut Tut Damian    :evil:

Derek

Oh Ye of little faith !

I was trying to get the idea across about the case types and sizes (note I did say without wheels).  The actual one I HAD MY EQ6 IN was

Order Code: SG33494

• Carrying Case Material:  PP (Polypropylene) 

• Case Colour:  Black 

• External Depth - Imperial:  8.46" 

• External Depth - Metric:  215mm 

• External Height - Imperial:  16.73" 

• External Height - Metric:  425mm 

• External Width - Imperial:  22.4" 

• External Width - Metric:  569mm

Price for: Each 1

Minimum order quantity: 1

Order multiple quantity: 1

Price: £25.53 (£30.636)

And they are built like a tank. See the post #9711 with the white foam infill same case.. I aslo showed my present mount in a slightly smaller Peli Case. My mount is slightly bigger than the EQ6

Tut Tut Damian    :evil:

Derek

Apologies Derek 

I came across this thread, 

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/77205-what-case-for-neq6/

Looks like the guy bought the next size down as the measurements he has given are for the 18"  case that CPC do. They may not have done one bigger when the thread was posted in 2010

Sound nice, although I have seen the rather expensive battery box one already  :eek:

Archived