Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well I am off to bed, was hoping that Usrula woman was up to the challenge of  making this thread 10,000 posts by the end of this  (which must be a SGL record) has failed me,  ;p

Haha, you like to set me a challenge, but I think that Chris is the King of the Forum and more up to the job lol ;)

The cloud came in early over my way, so I decided to pop across to Huddersfield for their Friday night speaker.

Very interesting talk on building spiral galaxies using supercomputers - definitely feel I have learned something and expanded my astro-brain somewhat lol

Went for a drink and a big fat greasy kebab with Gain afterwards, and just got back home.

The cloud is really thick here now, but I'm pleased to read that Adam managed to get out to Winscar for a couple of hours - hope you managed to get your scope aligned and got some viewing in :)

With regards to Kielder, I will have a spare small tent if anyone needs to borrow one. I'll be using my one "man" pop-up tent, and if Luke sleeps in with Soupy's boys again I won't need the tent I originally bought for Kielder last year. It's only a small, low 2 man tent, but if anyone wants to borrow it they are more than welcome :)

p.s. I think that'll be 98 to go now..........

Glad you got out to another club Vicky, ive never been to the Huddersfield one before. on that not, i dont think i can do next tuesday having what I said earlier, but the other 2 nights will be fine. might even take my Dad with me too.

Im going to see if I can get to kielder this year :)

I got out in the garden for about a hour last night to show Adele how good the new lenses were. M45, M42, Beehive cluster Betelgeuise and Aldebran then the clouds came in and that was it really.

Did anyone else manage to get out ?

Mark

I got out in the garden for about a hour last night to show Adele how good the new lenses were. M45, M42, Beehive cluster Betelgeuise and Aldebran then the clouds came in and that was it really.

Did anyone else manage to get out ?

Mark

Hope she liked them

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Haha, you like to set me a challenge, but I think that Chris is the King of the Forum and more up to the job lol ;)

The cloud came in early over my way, so I decided to pop across to Huddersfield for their Friday night speaker.

Very interesting talk on building spiral galaxies using supercomputers - definitely feel I have learned something and expanded my astro-brain somewhat lol

Went for a drink and a big fat greasy kebab with Gain afterwards, and just got back home.

The cloud is really thick here now, but I'm pleased to read that Adam managed to get out to Winscar for a couple of hours - hope you managed to get your scope aligned and got some viewing in :)

With regards to Kielder, I will have a spare small tent if anyone needs to borrow one. I'll be using my one "man" pop-up tent, and if Luke sleeps in with Soupy's boys again I won't need the tent I originally bought for Kielder last year. It's only a small, low 2 man tent, but if anyone wants to borrow it they are more than welcome :)

p.s. I think that'll be 98 to go now..........

Yeah scope aligned pretty bang on, was showing the other half orion, andromeda etc (whether she liked it or not lol) if you wouldnt mind would i be able to borrow your tent for keilder? I checked mine last night and found a hole in it so ive had to get rid.

Anyone had any experience of the Celestron X-Cel LX 9mm Eyepiece? Thinking of buyong a better wide angle lense...

They have really good reviews from a lot of people on a lot of sites.

I did read quite a few as I was thinking of getting a set of x-cel lx and did tell my wife to get me some for Christmas but she got me a set of Baader Morpheus

Mark

I can bring my case to the next meeting if you want a hands on feel with them. Although i dont have a scope to put them in currently for you to see views.

Matt.

That would be awesome if you wouldnt mind been looking online for them there also another one that is 8mm - 24mm zoom lense cant remember if they are any good?

Also vicki would you be able to email me the dates of everything from meetings to events for this year if its ok? My email is adamsage2013@gmail.com

Is anyone coming over to stargazing live tuesday/wednesday/thursday?

That would be awesome if you wouldnt mind been looking online for them there also another one that is 8mm - 24mm zoom lense cant remember if they are any good?

I have a celestron zoom I use it in my 70mm frack when I go off in my caravan just to save me taking all my lenses. There not the best but better then taking a full set with me.

If you use one like I do I'd recommend getting one but if you going to use one as you main eyepiece I'd say get individual eyepieces but it's all down to what u can afford and personal preference

Mark

Anyone had any experience of the Celestron X-Cel LX 9mm Eyepiece? Thinking of buyong a better wide angle lense...

I've not used the X-Cel EP's but heard very good reports from them for the price range they are in.

It would be good for you to try out Matt's next time we are out together.

I have decided to expand my range of BST Explorer "Starguider" EP's as I have found them to be a lovely little EP for the price.

I have been fortunate to pick a couple up second hand on ABS and e-bay, however you can buy them new from Sky's The Limit e-bay store for about £46.50 each.

As I get some money, I'm going to pick up a couple more to get a better range as I've just got the 8mm and 18mm at present.

I always have mine with me when I'm out viewing, but can bring them along to the next meeting for you to look at.

Yes, you can borrow the tent - it hasn't been used as so it's tidy away in it's bag, and it is only about the size of a sleeping bag, so not too bulky.

I'll get it to you before Kielder in case you want to have a practice putting it up, but it's fairly straight forward - it is the OAX Cougar 2 man-tent if you wanted to look it up to make sure it's going to be ok for you :)

Also vicki would you be able to email me the dates of everything from meetings to events for this year if its ok? My email is adamsage2013@gmail.com

Is anyone coming over to stargazing live tuesday/wednesday/thursday?

Yes, of course I will - I'll try to get that done today for you :)

Don't know if I'm coming over to Pontefract next week yet.

I'm going to look to see what they're doing for it, but I might get across for at least one of the evenings and drag Terry across with me.

thanks Vicki :-) 

I'm trying to figure out how to hook up my telescope up to my mac to use through stellarium anyone got any ideas what drivers i need?......just noticed that I've made the biggest school boy error of all time.....when i set my scope up i couldn't find how to set the longitude and latitude due it it being completely and utterly backhanded (turns out the back button on the handset also means select) so have spent the last 3 hours trying to figure out how to set it of which the closest i can get it to is setting it to the selected city rather than long/latt...just need another clear night to try it out now lol 

Also decided to speak to the guys at work yesterday that build all the sets and have asked them how much it will cost to build me a pop up observatory with sliding roof lol! they said they are going to get it all priced up for me, so I will have a heater, table, battery compartment and it will all collapse to fit into my car hahaha!! atlas it will keep the wind off the scope so it won't move when taking long exposures.

don't get me wrong I'm more than happy just to use the handset, would just find it easier to use stellarium but i have plugged it in and set it all up today and stellarium does not seem to pick up that i have plugged it in :-/

Archived