NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

No NLCs just yet.

Had a visit from Gain tonight I am now in possession of my new moonlite focuser! :)

Don't think we got any? The moonlite is a nice bit of kit.

Just had 10mins star hopping.

The great square of Pegasus is up and our nearest galactic neighbour Andromeda is viewable even under nearly a full moon.

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has a very smooth operation, looking forward to replacing the old focuser. In the interim I am going to drill some holes in the sonotube to try to help get rid of some of the thermal issues quicker, maybe even install a small computer fan to help cool the mirror quicker too.

You can have one for me too Sam, although I have had a couple myself this evening. I mean, after all, it is Damian's birthday and someone's got to raise a glass. It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it lol ;)

Hope all goes well with John the mirror-man tomorrow Damian, and I look forward to hearing your latest updates - hope you've had a good birthday despite having to work.

The programme was quite good and I was enjoying it until my daughter made me watch Child Genius with her, so thanks to her I now feel really stupid - cheers Sophie!

Recorded it to finish watching tomorrow, but I believe it will be worth a viewing. I'll let you know tomorrow :)

Potentially interesting programme just starting on BBC4 called Seven Ages of Starlight. Don't know if it has been in before, but though I'd let you know :)

It has been on before but really good Vicky

Looking forward to next week's meeting people.
On nights at present but gives me the chance to regularly check out how dark it is out there.

Three weeks after the solstice things are much darker 1-3 am so will be worth staying up for those that don't have work to worry about.

The trip up to see John went well and the mirror is still with him. I have an update to put on the mirror thread in that vein.

The Perseid meteor shower is supposed to be a very good one this year so I've been reading, let's hope the weather plays ball and gives us a decent show.
Damian

Must admit Damian it does seem a long time since we all got together.

I know it's only 2 weeks ago this weekend but dose seem longer.

Looking forward to the talk from Steve also. It should be very interesting to hear about me Herschel [emoji106]

Mark

I'm looking forward to Steve's talk next week, and it's a shame you'll miss it if you are on nights again Damian.

Going to have a look on your thread to read all the latest updates regarding your mirror.

I'm off work the week of the Perseids and am not away on holiday. We are off work for a fortnight, but have just booked one week, from 1st August, down at a cottage in Goodrich. Will be packing my scope as we have stopped in the same house before and the skies are lovely and dark in the Wye Valley. Hoping the skies hold up for the Perseids on 12th/13th as I won't have work to worry about, so I can stop up and enjoy the show :)

Just been sat on the beach and caught a couple of meteors in the Sagittarius region and also a feint patch of the Milky Way between Sagittarius and scorpius. Followed by m7 and m21 with averted vision. Nice finish to my holiday [emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice one Sam.

Yep be a good perseid shower and the moon won't be out neither so should babe nice and dark. I'm tempted to stay up in kielder to see as many as possible in faint skies! But as it's the wedding anniversary I might not get a pass out till late, I'll just have to set up the camera to try to catch some!

Looking forward to the talk next week as well. Is it really only 3 weeks since Gains talk? Can't believe that and as you say Mark seems ages ago since we all met at Horbury show only 2 weeks ago as well.

Archived