Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great images Neil and Sam.

I agree with the lightening Damian, it seemed non stop. Have only seen stuff like this in America and never in this country.

I'd never seen the type in this country either. Was lighting up the clouds well.

Great photos chaps! Gutted I didn't see anything of the storm. The clouds are hanging thick and heavy today, so there will be no solar viewing. Could right fancy an ice cream though - might have a trip out and see where I end up :)

Had a very good night with Gain tonight.

Fettled the Meade as best we could, thermal currents are causing most issues, need to let it cool for a very long time, the mirror is approx. 2" thick so it doesn't want to lose the heat easily, Gain reckons to take it out a day before and keep it covered and in the shade, that man is a genius when it comes to sorting out scope issues! Collimation also needs sorting to a lesser degree!

However still managed a couple of doubles whilst star testing, and M13 looked amazing even in the twilight with less than perfect optics, then swung to see if we could get M81/82. Managed M82 to both our surprise, looking into a bright northern sky. I now know I also need some decent EPs, that's what happens when you concentrate on AP! ;)

I've not got the laptop out yet so haven't been able to look at your video or photo's Sam. Might have a look after work, or probably whilst I'm at work on the PC lol.

Fingers crossed for another clear day and I can get the PST out again this afternoon for a couple of hours.

Luke is due back from his school trip to Ypres at 3pm - it's been horribly quiet without him - missed my buddy :(

Yes Soupy, a couple if decent EPs are on my shopping list for after the summer. I was originally thinking of going for Hyperions or the Celestron Duos as they are threaded for AP, however I'm going to give a few a try before committing. Woozy has offered for me to borrow her Hyperion to try. I might even end up concentrating on the EP solely for visual use. So, any recommendations would be appreciated :)

I think because I uploaded too many at once, let me try upload them again

It's because their appleised files! .Mov is never good. AVI would be OK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a very good night with Gain tonight.

Fettled the Meade as best we could, thermal currents are causing most issues, need to let it cool for a very long time, the mirror is approx. 2" thick so it doesn't want to lose the heat easily, Gain reckons to take it out a day before and keep it covered and in the shade, that man is a genius when it comes to sorting out scope issues! Collimation also needs sorting to a lesser degree!

However still managed a couple of doubles whilst star testing, and M13 looked amazing even in the twilight with less than perfect optics, then swung to see if we could get M81/82. Managed M82 to both our surprise, looking into a bright northern sky. I now know I also need some decent EPs, that's what happens when you concentrate on AP! ;)

Did he bring his eye piece case round, now that's impressive

I nearly feinted when I caught a glimpse inside his eye-piece case when I went over to see him to borrow his PowerMates. Now, that IS an eye-piece collection. Think I'll be asking him for advise on EP's too before buying any ;)

No but his laser collimator is something to behold! I want one of those. I am also buying his moonlite focuser he bought for his dob. He wants a different one and I'll need something decent for the Meade. :)

Archived