WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

Hi , the large crater is SCHICKARD

My best guess!

Soupy will give you got prize the next meeting hehe

Thanks cosmicbug. I just looked that up and I was looking at that crater this morning. I think your right though admit it.[emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Image resolution reduced test image from last night. Meade 130 ED with Canon 5D3. Seeing was poor ...Just about set for the eclipse!

Great job Gain. We just need a clear sky now. Was going to pop out earlier to have a test imaging session on the moon, but I just didn't have the energy to get set up. I'll just have to make sure I get sorted in plenty of time tomorow :)

Great job Gain. We just need a clear sky now. Was going to pop out earlier to have a test imaging session on the moon, but I just didn't have the energy to get set up. I'll just have to make sure I get sorted in plenty of time tomorow :)

Thanks V.

Weather is looking promising for tomorrow night..looks like we have a gang going! Are you joining us?

Thanks V.

Weather is looking promising for tomorrow night..looks like we have a gang going! Are you joining us?

Hopefully so - ideally, I didn't want to be travelling far, but I would prefer to share the experience with others rather than being on my own.

To be honest, if I could have stopped at home for it, then I probably would have done that. I have to bear in mind that I need to be back home for about 5am, as I really should be back before my husband goes to work. I know the kids will be ok, but doesn't feel right leaving them on their own at that time of morning. The further from home I am, the earlier I have to pack up and set off home. If I am a 40 minute drive away, I'd have to think about packing up at 4am, and the eclipse will still be happening then. It's a quandary knowing what to do.

Doesn't look like anyone else is coming out except myself and Soupy - Nick might be out for a little while, but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Think it'll depend on where we are all meeting.

Hopefully, we'll know by tomorrow evening who is definitely meeting up.

Playing it by ear at the minute, but I'll probably end up just making my own way over to where you are for around midnight.

Unless anyone else has any ideas? :)

Mind you, i am just guessing on things, like how many videos to take and for how long and at what frame rate. i took 5, 5 second videos at 30fps.

Did you put all 5 AVI files in RegiStax at the same time? I only use 1 AVI file at a time. Use around 75% of the best frames. Hope this helps :)

I use AutoStakkert2 for my stacking, then drop its output file into Registax for wavelets.

A video of 15-30 seconds at 30fps should yield enough frames for a good stack - if you can track it ok for that length of time without too much movement across the sensor.

If you take a video of various parts of the Moon, then you can combine all your stacked single images into one large full disc Moon.

Well looking at the forecast Vicky ill be up, just not sure if im travelling though. might just view from back garden depending on where the moon is in the sky

It is just 14 degrees above the west-southwest horizon, which is not good from my house. I'd have to be in the front yard, and I think the houses opposite will be in the way with the moon being so low in the sky. Have you got a better horizon that way Chris?

Archived