Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

I use AutoStakkert2 for my stacking, then drop its output file into Registax for wavelets.

A video of 15-30 seconds at 30fps should yield enough frames for a good stack - if you can track it ok for that length of time without too much movement across the sensor.

If you take a video of various parts of the Moon, then you can combine all your stacked single images into one large full disc Moon.

I've not sussed out AutoStakkert2 yet - need to have a proper play with it next time I do sone AVIs :)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Vicky

I am hoping to see it at home if I can get up for it

Going to stick my DSLR on the scope,and going to use my other DSLR

On a tripod and do a video or some images with the 300 mm lens and see

What happens

Neil

Did you put all 5 AVI files in RegiStax at the same time? I only use 1 AVI file at a time. Use around 75% of the best frames. Hope this helps :)

of course i did, bull in a china shop approach lol

opps. ill try it with one then, they were only 5 seconds long but ill try it with one :)

It is just 14 degrees above the west-southwest horizon, which is not good from my house. I'd have to be in the front yard, and I think the houses opposite will be in the way with the moon being so low in the sky. Have you got a better horizon that way Chris?

I just looked it up in stellarium, and at 3:10 its just about 30 degrees up, but no, I havnt got a great view that way, so id probably have to move. Its at 221 degrees azimuth at that time, so ill measure that with a compass and see if I can see it from the bottom of my garden. Then think of a plan B if need be.

of course i did, bull in a china shop approach lol 

opps. ill try it with one then, they were only 5 seconds long but ill try it with one :)

Haha, that's funny. Exactly the sort of thing I'd do. Bet the programme was thinking "What does he think he's doing?" LOL

Good luck - it's all trial and error - trust me, I am very used to errors ;)

Hopefully so - ideally, I didn't want to be travelling far, but I would prefer to share the experience with others rather than being on my own.

To be honest, if I could have stopped at home for it, then I probably would have done that. I have to bear in mind that I need to be back home for about 5am, as I really should be back before my husband goes to work. I know the kids will be ok, but doesn't feel right leaving them on their own at that time of morning. The further from home I am, the earlier I have to pack up and set off home. If I am a 40 minute drive away, I'd have to think about packing up at 4am, and the eclipse will still be happening then. It's a quandary knowing what to do.

Doesn't look like anyone else is coming out except myself and Soupy - Nick might be out for a little while, but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Think it'll depend on where we are all meeting.

Hopefully, we'll know by tomorrow evening who is definitely meeting up.

Playing it by ear at the minute, but I'll probably end up just making my own way over to where you are for around midnight.

Unless anyone else has any ideas? :)

I think there are between 6-8 of us going and Tony has agreed to bring his motorhome so we have warm drinks and food etc. No matter what, I think we'll have a nice micro eclipse party going on. It will be abit of a trek for you but you, Soupy and others are most welcome.

I think there are between 6-8 of us going and Tony has agreed to bring his motorhome so we have warm drinks and food etc. No matter what, I think we'll have a nice micro eclipse party going on. It will be abit of a trek for you but you, Soupy and others are most welcome.

Where are you going?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Haha, that's funny. Exactly the sort of thing I'd do. Bet the programme was thinking "What does he think he's doing?" LOL

Good luck - it's all trial and error - trust me, I am very used to errors ;)

Hehe. Well now I know how to do it and how long to roughly take the video for I'll try again. I had no problem tracking the moon tonight and kept the same part of the moon on screen for over twenty minutes, and that was only because I moved the scope myself. Made sure it was nice and leval tonight.

Just had another look on AA Route Planner to see where they are meeting over Huddersfield way. It says it is just as quick to go on the A642 towards Huddersfield, and then take the B6118 at Grangemoor and head up towards the M62 that way. Reckons it's about 15 miles, and will take me 32 minutes from my house. To be honest, think I'm going to stick with the original plan and go over there. Weather permitting of course!

Soupy - let me know what your plans are, and whether you are still going, as I might call to your house for around 11.30pm, and then follow you - that's if you are heading over that way too :)

Chris - details of where Huddersfield group are meeting, although it'll be a bit of a distance from your way:

The plan is to meet up in the Briar Court Hotel carpark at midnight.

BRIAR COURT HOTEL, HALIFAX ROAD, BIRCHENCLIFFE HD3 3NT

We'll plan to use the carpark located on the junction A640/B6114. It is reached from Huddersfield town centre by heading toward junction 23 of the M62. Cross the motorway roundabout toward Outlane village. Stay on the A640 for about 6 miles and the carpark is on the left.

Hehe. Well now I know how to do it and how long to roughly take the video for I'll try again. I had no problem tracking the moon tonight and kept the same part of the moon on screen for over twenty minutes, and that was only because I moved the scope myself. Made sure it was nice and leval tonight.

Brilliant stuff. Get a good long AVI and you get some stunning results. Having a tweak with wavelets after stacking will make a huge difference too, but you can easily over do it with the wavelets if you're not careful. I look forward to seeing your results :)

Just had another look on AA Route Planner to see where they are meeting over Huddersfield way. It says it is just as quick to go on the A642 towards Huddersfield, and then take the B6118 at Grangemoor and head up towards the M62 that way. Reckons it's about 15 miles, and will take me 32 minutes from my house. To be honest, think I'm going to stick with the original plan and go over there. Weather permitting of course!

Soupy - let me know what your plans are, and whether you are still going, as I might call to your house for around 11.30pm, and then follow you - that's if you are heading over that way too :)

Chris - details of where Huddersfield group are meeting, although it'll be a bit of a distance from your way:

The plan is to meet up in the Briar Court Hotel carpark at midnight.

BRIAR COURT HOTEL, HALIFAX ROAD, BIRCHENCLIFFE HD3 3NT

We'll plan to use the carpark located on the junction A640/B6114. It is reached from Huddersfield town centre by heading toward junction 23 of the M62. Cross the motorway roundabout toward Outlane village. Stay on the A640 for about 6 miles and the carpark is on the left.

Vicky- You don't have to go via Soupy as that will take you longer...the hotel is one minute drive from mine and you know where that is so just come to me first and we'll go together.

BTW ALL are welcome...especially those bearing chocs and sausage rolls :-)

Vicky- You don't have to go via Soupy as that will take you longer...the hotel is one minute drive from mine and you know where that is so just come to me first and we'll go together.

BTW ALL are welcome...especially those bearing chocs and sausage rolls :-)

Is it so close to your house? I hadn't realised that. Yeah, I'll come straight over to your house then. What time would you like me to get there? Around 11.45pm ish?

Is it so close to your house? I hadn't realised that. Yeah, I'll come straight over to your house then. What time would you like me to get there? Around 11.45pm ish?

11-30-45 is good...as will need to be at the hotel on time to greet.

Soupy knows the hotel as we've had meet ups there before

11-30-45 is good...as will need to be at the hotel on time to greet.

Soupy knows the hotel as we've had meet ups there before

I'll aim to be at yours for 11.30pm Gain - Sophie is going to really go mad at me when I'm setting off out to meet my friends at 11.00pm! She played heck with me when I went out at 9.30pm lol

Must remember to do her hot water bottle before I go out ;)

Archived