Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

INTERNATIONAL ASTRONOMY SHOW 2015

I'm hoping to go on Saturday 3rd Oct... Is anyone else interested in going to look at shiny astro gear http://www.ukastroshow.com

Would have usually loved to have gone for a nosey around, but it is the day after Terry's op, so I daren't swan off anywhere.

The family wouldn't be interested in it - shame really as it would have been a good day out.

Don't you dare be buying anything though with it being Kielder the following weekend! ;)

Ursula will be watching...... LOL

whens soupys star party again? Got such a busy october, but hopefully can squeeze it in!

As for sunday, not sure i can make it till 4am - but i'm definitely up for going out for a bit and you never know, sleep deprivation might not take over until i catch the eclipse......

whens soupys star party again? Got such a busy october, but hopefully can squeeze it in!

As for sunday, not sure i can make it till 4am - but i'm definitely up for going out for a bit and you never know, sleep deprivation might not take over until i catch the eclipse......

Kielder is Friday 9th until Sunday 11th October, just 2 weeks away, but he'll be sending out an e-mail soon. Hope you can make it :)

I am planning to go to bed for a few hours on Sunday afternoon to take the edge off. When I get home after the event, I'll stop up until the kids have gone at 8am. The plan is to then head to bed for a few hours and get up again around mid-day as I am not at work until 2pm. It'll be the one time I'm happy to be on afternoons lol.

The eclipse starts at around 1am, I think, with totality just after 3am, lasting for about an hour, and then it isn't all over until around 5am.

I'm going early to get set-up as I'm hoping to image using the new WO 110. If I can't get it focused properly, I'll just have to resort back to the DSLR on the tripod, but it might need longer exposure than the tripod will allow.

Hoping it'll be clear Friday or Saturday evening to get it out in the back yard, and have a go at getting it ready.

Really want to have a play with it and have a sneaky viewing session :)

Sounds like a good plan Vicky. Think I might miss this eclipse as I'm up at 6:30 for work, either that or I'll just get up just before totality and have an hour or so viewing then back to bed for me. I've seen a few before so not too sad that I'll miss most of it.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Sounds like a good plan Vicky. Think I might miss this eclipse as I'm up at 6:30 for work, either that or I'll just get up just before totality and have an hour or so viewing then back to bed for me. I've seen a few before so not too sad that I'll miss most of it

If it's a clear night it'll be a shame to miss it. Yes, there have been lunar eclipses, but this one is hopefully going to be rather special.

I'd get to bed early if I were you and set your alarm for around 2.30am to at least have a look out and see if it's clear.

Got to be worth missing a couple of hours sleep for ;)

Yes, the moon does look lovely this evening - shh, just in case Damian is reading this lol ;)

Had a quick look with the binos, but been too busy this evening to get out for any real viewing.

Just having 15 minutes with October's AN magazine and a beer. Interestingly, there is a 4 page special on Cassiopeia, and it's selection of great open clusters, including our new "hot pick" NGC7789 The White Rose cluster. It's got a full paragraph write up, and I really must make it my first port of call when I get out with the new frac. In fact, there is so much I have yet to see in Cassiopeia, I could spend an evening in this region alone, and view around a dozen new clusters to add to my viewing logs. Fortunately, Cassiopeia is really well placed for me to view from my back yard, so I am confident I will manage to tick a few of these off soon.

Hoping it is clear tomorrow evening to get out in the back yard for a couple of hours. Need to get the focus sorted on the WO 110 with the DSLR ready for Sunday night. Once that is done I can do a bit of viewing. Really hope it stops clear :)

Up early for work and the search light in the sky was well gone!

All looking lovely with Sirius well above the horizon.

From Gemini to Auriga M35, 37, 36 and 38 all very easy finds as well as a little look at the Orion neb.

I would've played out a bit more but with the alarm clock for work just about to spoil things I had to pack up the scope.

Well put the caps back on the 2" finder and close the window!

Nice to see some old favourites

Nice little report Damian. I too was awake early, so decided to nip outside for a quick scout around the pre-dawn sky with the binos.

Orion looking magnificent as usual riding high in the Southern sky, however would someone be able to clarify what the bright star was lower to the horizon to the South-East.

Went into the back yard for a look at the lovely Venus, which was shining brightly - would it have been Regulus down to the lower left nearer the horizon?

Saw The Pleiades were still to be seen high in the sky, so had a couple of minutes enjoying their beauty.

Then it was just a quick a scout around Cassiopeia including the double cluster.

By then, the morning light was starting to take over the sky, and it was time to get the rabble up :)

clear night tonight for the first part, so im getting the scope out tonight.

Also, anyone gpot any recommendations on a good pair of bins? what size is the easiest to hand hold,10*50? Im wanting something that I can just pickup and go outside with quickly. Cheers

Archived