SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

Also, anyone gpot any recommendations on a good pair of bins? what size is the easiest to hand hold,10*50? Im wanting something that I can just pickup and go outside with quickly. Cheers

I would recommend my Helios Naturesport 10x50s - you are welcome to try them out next time we meet up. I akways have them in the car. There is the new Naturesport Plus out now, which I believe retail at approx. £100. I paid £70 for mine, but they are the older model. Think they have improved the coatings on the new ones. As you know, I love my binos. They aren't too heavy to use hand held, although I prefer to put mine on the tripod for a steadier and more comfortable viewing experience :)

Just been busy getting my 8SE ready with a mount for my DSLR, so I can hopefully take some longer exposure Milky Way and constellation shots whilst we are up in Kielder. Looks awesome on the NEQ6. Just sat here enjoying it :)

post-39306-0-15764000-1443193047_thumb.j

post-39306-0-23474500-1443193074_thumb.j

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Used my new Phillips-head screwdriver for the first time too..... Yay me!

Just got to re-align the RDF again at some point, as you actually have to take it off the OTA and then re-attach it through the DSLR piggy-back mount using some longer screws that are provided with the mount.

Ooh, I feel all DIY lol ;)

p.s. Don't panic chaps - I haven't "bought" the mount, so the cloud gods shouldn't get annoyed! Hopefully......

Looks really good Ursula. Have you tried putting the camera into the scope with ur t-ring and seeing if you can get focus? I've done it with the 127 make and it works well just not a very wide field

Mark

Thanks Mark. It does look pretty cool lol. I haven't used the DSLR on the 8SE yet as I have used the Imaging Source CCD camera when I was doing my lunar and planetary imaging. I've only used the DSLR with it's own lenses on the camera tripod, and also on the little 80mm frac with the T-adaptor for a quick point and shoot session. With the 8SE being an F10 it won't be a wide enough FOV for Milky Way photography at Kielder. Fingers crossed for clear skies!

I am going to get the new WO 110 out tonight to try to get the DSLR to focus on that ready for the lunar eclipse. Hopefully I'll get it to work.

The plan for the future is to do DSO imaging with the WO 110 and use the 8SE for planetary imaging.

Just got the piggy-back mount as a quick fix to get some longer exposure out of the DSLR for Milky Way and constellation images.

I really do not know what I am going to take to Kielder. Really wanted to get the new frac up there, but I think I might just take the 8SE with the NEQ6, plus DSLR and binos and tripod of course! It'll be a hard desicion not to take the WO 110, but I just don't know if I'll use it up there. Can't take them both as I don't have space, and the 8SE isn't as "precious", and it has less bits on it to get knocked too.

Want to enjoy the weekend, and have a couple of beers, and not be stressing about my scope lol :)

I think ur right with ur choice. Wish I was joining you a soupys but as you know im off to the observatory at kielder that weekend.

Adele was upset that she had booked the same weekend but she had to book it last Christmas to make sure she got us in. It's a really busy place and you have to book so early.

I hope we all get clear sky's and have lots of good sites

Mark

new power pack for my scope arrived today,  seems a brilliant device,   will jump start a car or van,  supplies 15Ah,  has USB ports for charging phones etc, 19v port for charging laptops, and  12v port,

smaller than a paper back book, I ma well impressed with it,

Although need a trip to maplins in morning for parts to make a longer lead to connect to the scope

Looks great Vicky. Fingers crossed for clear skies Monday morning.

Up at kielder and feeling excited even though it's two weeks till start party.

Thanks Soupy. It is quite a piece of kit! That mount is going to take some getting used to aswell.

I'm getting excited for Kielder too - shouldn't wish our lives away, but I can't wait to get back up there again :)

had the scope out for a couple of hours, mostly did lunar observing tonight. Took a few afocal shots and also got the webcam out which is rubbish lol looked at m97 and m31 and also the double cluster in Perseus. A fair amount of dew around tonight but my £4.99 insulated camping role kept the front plate nice and dry.

Ok, will do, there not the best, heres some Afocal shots

There's nothing wrong with them buddy. Great job. Shame about the webcam. Do you know why it isn't working, or it it just a rubbish webcam?I haven't got round to using mine yet, so I can't offer any help. Sorry.

Archived