NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

17mm Ethos first light

jetstream

I tried out the new Ethos tonight with a bright moon shining high...went out about 1:00am & tried it out under light skies and was very impressed.The Ring was easily visible,M27 a little tougher until I put in the OIII-then it was awesome.As the moon was setting & the sky darkening it was time to try M42 for the first time this year.With the OIII a great amount of nebulosity was visible,and when compared to the 16mm Nagler,the Ethos held its own & then some.With no filter both eyepieces are very contrasty,each on slightly different parts of M42,but really these are my dark sky eyepieces & when the moon is away again they will come into their own.As it is the Ethos bested the Nagler on M81 & M82,which was a good test under the conditions(and the Nagler is excellent).I love the extra FOV the 17mm provides and the star colours are simply amazing-no other eyepiece I own comes close,it seems the stars look bigger in the Ethos as well,if this is possible.My Ethos is here,my VX10 is shipping tomorrow & I'm very happy :grin: !

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice report Gerry  :smiley:

The Ethos range are simply fabulous eyepieces although developing a taste for them is an expensive business. I can assure you that the performance in your forthcoming Orion Optics scope will surpass what you have seen so far - you can spend a whole evening with a decent size newtonian and just one mid-range Ethos in the drawtube  :smiley:

nice reporting. wish we had your clear skys though

Thanks Faulksy.As I learn about my sky certain things have become apparent,and the main thing is that while my sky is dark,it also is turbulent.This causes me problems at higher power on objects,so I've learned to look for ones that are less effected,like DSO.I love lower power viewing,last night the trapezium was easily visible @ 37x but at 79x the stars started to "blob" out,the wind was blowing,but the sky looked clear-maybe water vapor was the culprit.I went to the coffee shop @ 1:00 am for a large & the drove 50km to my site & set up near a tree line to block the moon.Jupiter being so low & with my sky conditions wouldn't take much power at all-even the 37x was not clear most of the time.BUT....all this has taught me to "hunt" objects very near to the zenith,which helps me tremendously-huge difference here.

My skies are dark,but I'm on the road all the time to access them,which I like anyway :grin: .This 17mm will give me 70x,which is a power just "under" my maximum/use anytime mag,with an exit pupil right where I want it and it has excellent light transmission/contrast(& also a nice 1.4deg TFOV).

One of the biggest contributions of SGL members to me was to tell me to get to dark skies & through a little research,I've found them.I LOVE the zoomable Black Marble http://www.livescience.com/25389-black-marble-zoomable-image.html,it has been my guide.

How would the ethos' perform in a 10" DOB - anyone any experience.

I think I have caught the fever!!

I have 3 Ethos and they were brilliant in my 10" F/4.8 newtonian and are even more so in my 12" dob  :smiley:

Tele Vue design and test all their eyepieces to work really well down to F/4. The motto of the company is "show no field unless it's sharp".

Fast newtonians do show some coma though and the 100 degree field of the Ethos does reveal that when used in scopes faster than F/6. Thats not the eyepieces fault though.

I tried out the new Ethos tonight with a bright moon shining high...went out about 1:00am & tried it out under light skies and was very impressed.The Ring was easily visible,M27 a little tougher until I put in the OIII-then it was awesome.As the moon was setting & the sky darkening it was time to try M42 for the first time this year.With the OIII a great amount of nebulosity was visible,and when compared to the 16mm Nagler,the Ethos held its own & then some.With no filter both eyepieces are very contrasty,each on slightly different parts of M42,but really these are my dark sky eyepieces & when the moon is away again they will come into their own.As it is the Ethos bested the Nagler on M81 & M82,which was a good test under the conditions(and the Nagler is excellent).I love the extra FOV the 17mm provides and the star colours are simply amazing-no other eyepiece I own comes close,it seems the stars look bigger in the Ethos as well,if this is possible.My Ethos is here,my VX10 is shipping tomorrow & I'm very happy :grin: !

Hi Gerry..

I have that eyepiece and was thinking of your 'post' last night when doing some viewing.

You are absolutely right that this eyepiece is really nice.  I support all that you said.

Great stuff. Great eyepiece.

:smiley:

congrats!!..having the 17mm i'm not sure about getting the 21mm i'd probably go for the 13mm and then a powermate  doubles your ethos range and saves you $$$$$

Thanks Calvin,you are right about the 21mm and I am considering the13mm as the next step.The Powermate idea sounds like a good one as well,I'll check out prices & availability.....there are Televue sales popping up here a bit & I will keep an eye out.Once my existing eyepieces have been used in the VX10,I should have a better idea of which direction to go.The 10mm may be a Delos,not sure yet,gonna do some figuring about the mag ranges with a Powermate.....kinda fun all this :grin: !

I have the 21E,13E and powermate and for DSO's and to be honest I don't need anything else...

Oh I dunno. Reckon you could be using an 8mm Ethos with that big scope. Globs are just awesome at really high powers in big scopes, and most small planetary nebs would really benefit too. The 8mm will be sweet on its own, or powermated up to 4mm........ nice ;)

I often wish for more power when using my 12mm T4 plus Powermate. I will want the big field of an Ethos at these higher powers too. :)

Oh I dunno. Reckon you could be using an 8mm Ethos with that big scope. Globs are just awesome at really high powers in big scopes, and most small planetary nebs would really benefit too. The 8mm will be sweet on its own, or powermated up to 4mm........ nice ;)

I often wish for more power when using my 12mm T4 plus Powermate. I will want the big field of an Ethos at these higher powers too. :)

Good point - the 6mm Ethos combined with my 12" dob is pretty awesome for globs (m13 really filling the FoV) and the Ring neb looks huge and contrasty   :grin:

Just get the lot ......  :wink:  :evil:

and that's the one other ep I may buy...

Good point - the 6mm Ethos combined with my 12" dob is pretty awesome for globs (m13 really filling the FoV) and the Ring neb looks huge and contrasty   :grin:

Just get the lot ......  :wink:  :evil:

and you can stop it also...you pair are not helping my savings account! :grin:

Archived