SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Milky Way from La Palma

pietervdv

Hi all,

Last was i spent a week on the beautiful Canary Island La Palma. It was mostly

a hiking vacation but at night I couldn't resist to photograph the Milky Way.

The three panel mosaic was acquired on the peak of the Island (Roque de Los Muchachos)

next to the observatory at 2400m altitude.

The nightsky (and the silence) up there was the most impressive I have ever seen, the milky way seemed like

a smear a white paint from horizon to horizon.

I took a stripped down eq-3 in my suitcase and took this panorama with

my Canon 5d mkII (modified myself with a Baader BCF filter 2 days before I left).

Each panel is exposed for 1 hour (12 x 5 min at iso 1600 f/5.6) and stitched in Registar and some final tweaks in PS CS5

Hi res version here:

http://www.astronomi...ic la palma.jpg

mosaic%20la%20palma%20thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Pieter

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

Gorgeous. What lens did you use?

I have used the standard zoom lens (F 24-105mm f/4L IS USM), the lens was set at 35mm.

I stopped down to f/5.6, but still some slight coma around the edges.

Best regards,

Pieter

Stunning.... Any info on the 5D mk II mod?

I would quite fancy one of those myself....

Peter...

Sent from my GT-P7300 using Tapatalk 4

See following link how to replace the filter, this describes the filter change.

There are some very small and fragile connectors, so keep those hands steady....

http://www.lifepixel.com/tutorials/infrared-diy-tutorials/canon-5d-mk2-ir

I have installed the Baader BCF filter instead of this infrared mod.

Great capture Peter! I would have suspected a little more red in the NGC 7000 area. Compared to M8 etc. the red in NGC 7000 is a bit dull. Any idea why?

A nice trick for registering large mosaics is to use a widefield image from a "colleague astrophotographer" to use that as a base. Even a sky chart from a planetarium program might work. That way you'll avoid large warps in your mosaic.     

Great capture Peter! I would have suspected a little more red in the NGC 7000 area. Compared to M8 etc. the red in NGC 7000 is a bit dull. Any idea why?

A nice trick for registering large mosaics is to use a widefield image from a "colleague astrophotographer" to use that as a base. Even a sky chart from a planetarium program might work. That way you'll avoid large warps in your mosaic.     

Thanks Maurice, you have a point there, the h-alpha in Cygnus does not seem as bright as it needs to be. The camera settings, conditions and processing were the same, however I think everything pales compared to M8 in H-alpha.

I will take a look to register the images using a bigger overview of the area (thanks for the tip)

Archived