SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Celestron StarSense

FLO

Hi Flo,

I am thinking about trying one of these, have all of the StarSense's you have on order been taken up by backorders, or are there any still up for grabs when you get your next delivery?

I hesitate to say this but it is looking like the wait will soon be over. When the next delivery arrives there should be enough to clear all existing backorders and more :smiley: 

The Celestron Starsense was the surprise hit of 2013, I don't think anyone realised how popular it would be. We received more backorders for the Starsense than any other product. 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks alot Paul. At the outset it looked like the CG5 wasn't compatible, but FLO got in touch with Celestron to find out and lo and behold it was/is compatible, although some of the earlier versions of the CG5 don't seem to work with the SS

I have one of the CG5 mounts that wasn't compatible and was able to work with Celestron to help them try out a fix - at the expense of letting the magic smoke out of a NS+ HC.

I'm not sure exactly how they are going to implement this in production, there are several ways, but they are going to.

Chris

I hesitate to say this but it is looking like the wait will soon be over. When the next delivery arrives there should be enough to clear all existing backorders and more :smiley: 

The Celestron Starsense was the surprise hit of 2013, I don't think anyone realised how popular it would be. We received more backorders for the Starsense than any other product.

Hi Flo,

Just put in an order for one of these, looking forward to it when you get your delivery :),

Cheers,

Dave

I have just received my Celestron STARSENSE, I plan on installing it on my CPC 800 HD, the manual says I have to install install the large bracket backwards. Is This true even if I remove the Finder scope. I am in no hurry, the STARSENSE came complete with rain, snow and bitterly cold temperature. Just like any new telescope. :p

They only say the SS bracket needs to be fitted backwards if you are using a different position on the CPC OTA and that's to avoid it clashing with the mount.  I've always used it by removing  the finder and fitting the SS in it's place.  I didn't notice a problem but it was a CPC1100 so there was a bit more room.

Basically as long as the SS camera is held firmly and pointing in about the same direction as the scope that's what matters.

Use the bad weather to try all this sort of thing indoors and get used to the new HC, it's a lot different.  You can do a quick align to try things.

One thing that catches people is that the fork mount scopes have a maximum limit for slews and catalogue objects of 70 deg.  People wonder why objects appear to be missing from the database when they are overhead.

Chris

We have received a small quantity of Celestron StarSense ahead of the much larger delivery due to arrive in the next week or two. 

We will dispatch them today on a first-come-first-served basis. If you placed your order before the 20th November you will receive your StarSense tomorrow. If after the 20th Nov you will receive one in approx two weeks. 

Fortunately when the next delivery arrives the wait will be over because we will then have them here on our shelves for overnight delivery. 

Thank-you for your patience :smiley: 

Celestron_StarSense_rear.jpg

Just waiting on the bugs to be ironed out so the SS will work 100% ok on the CG5. I will be partaking then....

When mine gets delivered, I will let you know how it goes.

Unfortunately I'm one of the ones that has to wait a couple of weeks which I'm not too bothered about, waited this long.

They only say the SS bracket needs to be fitted backwards if you are using a different position on the CPC OTA and that's to avoid it clashing with the mount.  I've always used it by removing  the finder and fitting the SS in it's place.  I didn't notice a problem but it was a CPC1100 so there was a bit more room.

Basically as long as the SS camera is held firmly and pointing in about the same direction as the scope that's what matters.

Use the bad weather to try all this sort of thing indoors and get used to the new HC, it's a lot different.  You can do a quick align to try things.

One thing that catches people is that the fork mount scopes have a maximum limit for slews and catalogue objects of 70 deg.  People wonder why objects appear to be missing from the database when they are overhead.

Chris

Hi Chris

Got mine earlier this week , but I was wondering do you have to fit a dew heater on the star sense, I presume so?

I get quite a bit where I live 

I have never had any issues even when the scope is covered in dew.  I also have the unit mounted so its fixed facing inward and it cant possibly clash with anything thus no limits on slewing.

My STARSENSE arrived four days after I ordered it. I guess that's the benefit of being in the USA,Norfolk Virginia area. However, since the arrival. The new equipment curse, is alive and well. Darn It! 

Weather has been horrible. Only nights above 20°F were cloudy. Not to mention two large snowstorms (greater than 6 inches) to keep things interesting. I did brave the 17°F evening with snow on the ground. Set up next to my Van, 20 feet from a streetlight, light pollution in the area was bright enough I could read the manual, from the reflection of the light on the snow. Everything was so cold that the power connector on my CPC 800 HD became intermittent. Even under those conditions, STARSENSE auto aligned and I was able to calibrate.

My scope is less than two years old, the STARSENSE handset buttons were identical to my original handset.  The display is different, 4 lines versus 2 lines.

As soon as the weather breaks and I can evaluate some more, I might have to get my power cord replaced, at 17°F it behave like solid wire.

I have not even checked to see what versions of firmware using. What is the best firmware versions today for both the STARSENSE and the hand controller?

From my limited current testing I give it two thumbs up!

The version is under Menu - Hand Control - Versions.  They seem to be shipping with HC version 1.07.13311.  There are a couple of later versions but I don't think they changed much for Alt Az mounts.

I think that if you want to change it you need to join TeamCelestron and get the current beta version from there.

Chris

Hi Billhinge.  I wouldn't mind betting that you wont be needing your finder - other than when you do a calibration the first time you use it, as per the provided instructions.  Since the first time I used StarSense with my 8SE, I haven't used my finder at all. 

Archived