Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron StarSense

FLO

I hate to introduce a note of caution here but StarSense doesn't seem to work with all CG5-GT mounts, it doesn't with mine but other reports are that it is fine.  This seems to be one of those nasty problems that is good at hiding from the developers; each time they look at it it's fine.

I have the impression that it's associated with the earlier motor control modules.

Chris

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same, just subscribed to the update email alert.

Steve (FLO) if you read this, any idea when they will be due in?

We are hoping for a delivery late December but are not expecting one before early January. It depends on Celestron in the US (they are handling the final quality control). 

I hate to introduce a note of caution here but StarSense doesn't seem to work with all CG5-GT mounts, it doesn't with mine but other reports are that it is fine.  This seems to be one of those nasty problems that is good at hiding from the developers; each time they look at it it's fine.

I have the impression that it's associated with the earlier motor control modules.

Chris

We haven't come across that. FLO has only been trading seven years so it might be our customers are all using relatively up-to-date CG5-GT mounts. 

HTH, 

Steve 

A new firmware update with "new CFM" is available for the Celestron StarSense

(For StarSense updates a Mini USB cable is required)

"Our new StarSense AutoAlign technology has undergone several fixes and improvements since it began shipping this year. We recommend all users update their StarSense, even if they have not experienced problems. Please see the release notes on the download page for a list of all the changes and future enhancements we're currently working on." 

Download StarSense Firmware

The Celestron StarSense has been this year's surprise hit. It was mentioned only casually in another thread yet has generated lots of enquiries, loads of 'notify me when available' clicks and several pre-orders.

Unfortunately it still hasn't been released http://stargazerslounge.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/blush.png

We have requested an ETA and will post details here as soon as we are able.

Thank-you for your patience.

Posted Image

Hi FLO

Do we know if the StarSense will work with the SkyQ app / SkyQ wifi adapter? I use my iPad more and more for controlling my CPC so if it all worked together that would be very slick.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

We are hoping for a delivery late December but are not expecting one before early January. It depends on Celestron in the US (they are handling the final quality control). 

Hi hobsey, 

I don't think anything has changed so we are expecting more Starsense around now. I'll phone them when we reopen in the morning :smiley: 

We are happy to answer enquiries posted at SGL but email is still the best way to contact us. I login to SGL most days but I don't always notice questions posted here. 

HTH, 

Steve 

Cheers Steve, thanks for the reply.

When someone has over £300 of money and I don't know whats going on, I tend to panic. Been stung before.

Not saying I would ever expect that from FLO.  :grin:  just being cautious.

All the best.

It's worth the wait Anthony, trust me on this one!  I use it on my 8SE and I swear there must be some magic involved to make it work as it does.  In the 'good old days' you could wait for months to have the most basic equipment delivered.

Hey paulastro,

I just live over the hill from you in Illingworth. So the StarSense is the bees knees then? I have been deliberating for some time now, but I was waiting for all the bugs to be ironed out before I put it on my C9.25/CG5 combo. 

Hi Flo,

I am thinking about trying one of these, have all of the StarSense's you have on order been taken up by backorders, or are there any still up for grabs when you get your next delivery?

Cheers,

Dave

NB.  Thanks for the shipping confirmation e-mail for the two Luminos EPs and Barlow which I ordered over the weekend; look forward to trying them out when they arrive & the sky clears  :rolleyes:

Hi M41cs67.

To be absolutely clear it works great on my 8SE, I can't personally vouch for it on any other telescope mount - though I understand it is fine on all the altaz mounts with which it is compatable.  There are one or two issues on some of the equatorial mounts, and I think the CG5 might have an issue or two.  I have a friend who has been testing the SS on various mounts  (not on SGL) so I will get in touch with him for the latest info on your mount.  My view is that it is a wonderful piece of technology and it wont be long before it will work well with all mounts it is compatable with.  When I watch it in action, I'm amazed it works at all.  I think the fact there are only a few things to sort out is to Celestron's credit.

With regards to the comments as to if people are going to ditch their finders, I haven't used mine since I've had the SS, not even when I only want to  view Jupiter - and I've been managing without goto for over forty years!

In the mean time, you are most welcome to send me a private message and I'll be happy for you to come and see it in action.  I think it will give you some cause for optimism.

Regards, Paul

Thanks alot Paul. At the outset it looked like the CG5 wasn't compatible, but FLO got in touch with Celestron to find out and lo and behold it was/is compatible, although some of the earlier versions of the CG5 don't seem to work with the SS. My mount is 18 months old and the word is that it should be ok. I'll have to check which version of firmware the mount is running and take it from there.

It would be great to see it in action, so yeah.

Archived