Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron StarSense

FLO

It looks like a typical product basher.  There's a lot of it about.

To be fair I think we can all understand his frustration Chris. When you buy something and it doesn't work it isn't fun. In his instance I suspect he either had a faulty unit or a firmware bug. What matters to us here in the UK is that they are fully tested and ready for dispatch before they reach our shores. We have Celestron's assurance they will be and they have my confidence.

And of course anyone who orders a Celestron StarSense from FLO will have our full support and 30-day return policy  :smiley:

Steve

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair I think we can all understand his frustration Chris. When you buy something and it doesn't work it isn't fun.

Steve

I disagree.  The quoted poster is simply venting his spleen.  He's making no attempt to define the alleged problem, or provide any information that would allow people to help. He's not interested in getting help, just in slinging mud.  That's bashing.

Chris

As a senior (pronouced OLD) observer.  Most of my astronomy is done as outreach, I arrive at a observation site before sundown.  Setup scope, start alignment as soon as I get two stars to appear.  (Auto 2 star alignment on my CPC 800 HD).  Did I mention I am OLD, I also have had back surgery,  aligning a star near zenith is a real pain.

My questtion is how soon can an starsense alignment be made after sundown?  Do we have to reach astronomical twilight? 

It looks like the floodgates will soon be opening…. 

Celestron have cleared a batch for delivery to the UK. They say it is "due to arrive anytime soon" :smiley:

I have the cash and I await news of the stock :smiley:

One other thing that I was wondering about the Starsense is how much of both meridians do you need to be able to see in order to get an accurate lock-on? I have a predominantly East-facing back garden with only a little of the West visible (due to my house being in the way). The further down my garden I set-up frees up a little bit more, but not a great deal. I have read the Starsense instructions off the Celestron website, but it is a little unclear. I can get a giant swath of clear unobstructed sky in the East from North to South.

It won't be long before we'll find out :smiley:

The Celestron StarSense has arrived. We have enough to clear all existing backorders.

If you have one on backorder with us you will receive it tomorrow. 

If you have any spare let me know please :grin:

If you have any spare let me know please :grin:

We do but only a handful so if you want one you'll need to place an order very, very, quickly.

I'll be surprised if there are any left at end of today and there isn't another shipment scheduled until the New Year. 

We do but only a handful so if you want one you'll need to place an order very, very, quickly.

I'll be surprised if there are any left at end of today and there isn't another shipment scheduled until the New Year. 

I have only just seen the message (after close of business) I don't want to place a back order but if you have any left I will have one.

If you have any and are able to reply to me before you open tomorrow I will place an order now

Hey folks,

Contacted Celestron tech support about the ability to use the Starsense with restricted view and have just had this response:

Hello Malcom, 

Thank you for contacting Celestron.

Yes,  the starsense will work  if you set up the mount and telescope pointing to the area of the sky  that is open.  The camera will focus on that area of the sky for the auto alignment.

Best Regards

WilG

Celestron Tech Support

================================================================
Malcolm Spring (malcolmspring@tiscali.co.uk) Posted on: Nov 08 2013 10:40 AM
================================================================
I own a C9.25 on a CG5 mount and was looking at getting the StarSense to go with it. One other thing that I was wondering about the Starsense is how much of both meridians do you need to be able to see in order to get an accurate lock-on? I have a predominantly East-facing back garden with only a little of the West visible (due to my house being in the way). The further down my garden I set-up frees up a little bit more, but not a great deal. I have read the Starsense instructions off the Celestron website, but it is a little unclear. I can get a giant swathe of clear unobstructed sky in the East from North to South.
I would therefore be grateful if you could tell me if the StarSense would work even with a restricted view of the West?
Many thanks 

So there you have it. All you have to do is point the mount and scope towards a clear piece of sky. You don't even have to polar align it or indeed have it pointing north in the first place for the onboard electronics to work out what you are looking at. That was the main worry for me, but it would appear that my fears are now allayed. 

We received a small delivery of Celestron StarSense today. 

Fortunately, there was enough to clear customer backorders and still leave us with three spare. Unfortunately, when we ticked the 'in stock' box our website automatically sent 164x notification emails to everyone who had clicked the 'Notify me when available' button… You can imagine the problems that is causing! 

We are really sorry about this but when our website's Celestron StarSense page says the product is unavailable, it really is unavailable. You are welcome to place an order but we have no way of knowing when we will receive another delivery. It might be only a week or two but it might also be several weeks. It depends on Celestron in the US (they are responsible for the final quality control check). 

The good news is the Celestron StarSense is a success. We can only speak for ourselves but so far all customer feedback has been positive and there hasn't been a single return :smiley:

• 2 weeks later...

My dad has kindly given me some money for christmas and its enough to cover the purchase of one of these.

But can anyone tell my why the CG-5 GT is the only mount to needs a splitter when there is a spare socket labeled auto guide?

Cheers.

My dad has kindly given me some money for christmas and its enough to cover the purchase of one of these.

But can anyone tell my why the CG-5 GT is the only mount to needs a splitter when there is a spare socket labeled auto guide?

Cheers.

Don't worry, I downloaded the manual and it says the reason in there.

For anyone that wants to know, its because the CG-5 GT has a single handset port where as the others have 2.

Archived