Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron StarSense

FLO

Forgot to say in my last post - regarding the dewing.  As soon as the StarSense has done it's stuff at the start of the session, I take it, complete with bracket, off the scope and put it in a box.  I use mine in the long SW type bracket as I have a SW fitting foot on my tube.  It's very secure in the bracket and has never lost calibration, and I take it off after every session.  Alternatively of course, you can just put the front cover on it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Steve,

Any word on when Celestron are likely iron out the  glitches with the CG5? I sent their tech dept an e-mail a few weeks ago and they responded that they were still on with a fix for it and to keep an eye out for an announcement on their website.

We have received the following from Celestron. It includes a firmware update for the Starsense. Hope it helps :smiley:

Hello everyone,
I have released new software and new firmware on the public portion of the Celestron website.
The new version numbers are as follows
SSA _HC      1.10.14008
SSA_Camera   1.02.13343
CFM          1.7.3325
The update applies to the following equipment
 -- StarSense Accessory (SSA) hand control,
 -- SSA camera,
 -- Celestron Firmware Manager (CFM) software that runs on your PC.
Major bug fixes are listed below.
* The year is read/calculated incorrectly for GPS and RTC devices.
* Southern hemisphere problems partially resolved. Solar system alignment is still busted but were working on it.
* A bug which cause the "RA only" tracking mode to fail on EQ mounts was corrected.
* This will update your bootloader to 2.0.3326. This is an important update as far as CFM is concerned but end users won't see much.
* CFM was improved to better locate and identify the CFM camera.  Some confusing dialogs were reworked.
CFM is used to install all of these updates.  The latest version can be found here.
--
Firmware Engineer
Celestron

• 2 weeks later...

The Celestron StarSense delivery has arrived  :hello2:

We have loads of them! Enough to fulfil all backorders and more :grin:

We have put some extra strong coffee in the machine so all backorders will be processed and dispatched today for delivery tomorrow Monday. 

These have been a long time coming so a huge thank-you to everyone who pre-ordered their Celestron StarSense at FLO, and for your patience. 

Steve 

Celestron_StarSense_front.jpg

StarSense arrived this morning and looks very nice :cool:.  Forecast in good for tomorrow morning :eek:, so will set it up tonight and try getting up early to check it out & see if it works :smiley:.

Thanks to Flo for the quick delivery once they had it.

StarSense arrived this morning and looks very nice :cool:.  Forecast in good for tomorrow morning :eek:, so will set it up tonight and try getting up early to check it out & see if it works :smiley:.

Thanks to Flo for the quick delivery once they had it.

Don't forget to do the Firmware update.

Don't forget to do the Firmware update.

I don't think I can do this as I have an I mac and I think you need a serial port connection on your computer to do this (Celestron are still working in the 90s I think :rolleyes:).  Could be wrong about this as I may be talking about the hand controller?  Can anyone computer literate tell me if I am right / wrong here :confused:

Correct me if I am wrong but if you want to update the handset with the latest firmware you need a serial cable? Can you get a common or garden one from a computer shop or do you need a Celestron specific one?

I couldn't update star sense on a mac, even though it's just java. The HC updates fine, but when it mounts the star sense as a USB device, the update fails, only way I could update it was using windows installed using parallels (or obviously if u have windows using bootcamp already).

I really do like the star sense, however the fact that polar align is broken has really put a downer on it for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fought with polar alignment on the SS for 3 nights, then posted on the team celestron form, to be told by the devs it's broken, and they are working on a fix but there is no expected date, as there are other higher priority fixes (one for the Southern Hemisphere). I was advised that, the only way was to plug the NS+ HC back in, do a 2+2, then polar align, and then plug the SS HC back in, for auto star sense align.. Which is pointless tbf..

The symptoms btw are that, after an auto starsense align, you go do a polar align, and it then asks you to re do the star sense auto align (as everything's moved because you have moved the bolts).. After this 2nd auto align, everything's completely off, nothing's in the eyepeice anymore on the gotos ;(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got back from a pub quiz at 11:30 and as the skies were nice & clear, decided to unbox the starsense.  Had I been drinking, I might not have tied this, but being the designated driver tonight :(, I thought it would be safe.  This thread might not be the best place for a proper review, so, apart from a couple of wiring issues, everything went pretty well and from the unopened box, to installed & working well, took ~90 minutes (installed and kind of working was ~45 minutes).  Next time will be a lot quicker, mainly because it is assembled now and I know what I am doing now, so I think I am going to like this :).  After a few more sessions with it, I will start, or find an existing StarSense review thread, and give a more detailed opinion.

NB.  [removed word], but it was cold out there tonight. Scope currently sat next to me defrosting, as are my feet :D.

Archived