Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Season start date

Stargazer_00

just curious what date everyone uses for the start of the new season.

I know some look for a first sighting of a specific DSO and others perhaps use dates; for me its when the clocks change - so the winter equinox.

What do you use to mark the start of a new season?

I agree with that Matt, I just take whatever opportunities there are and keep observing in a different way. During July when it doesn't ever get dark I don't bother staying up too late but do use the binos and also try for doubles and the moon. There is also solar which I do a fair amount of now, both PST and Herschel Wedge.

From mid August onwards though it is lovely. I've just returned from Dorset after 10 days away, and the skies were lovely. Milky Way running overhead streaming through Cygnus and dark rifts very visible. Plenty to see, I always get my best views of the Veil when away down there each year.

Stu

I also observe all year long but my astronomy year starts at the winter equinox and I call the period fromn that point, right up to the day before it the following year a 'season'.

I think of things this way because I like to set myself goals for a coming season and it gives me a way of tracking my progress against my goals. I like to have goals as then I get a sense of achievement from finding difficult subjects.

Also I can remember rare things easier, for instance in this season I've seen a comet and a nova.

I also reset my observation list at the start of a season. So I don't keep a life long list of Messier objects which might preclude me never revisiting some of them. for instance one goal would be to get the entire Messier catalogue in a season.

I always find it strange that some astromomers seem to pack up observing in late Spring, tuck their telescopes up in bed, and don't wake them until it's dark by about six in the evening in the late Autumn. :smiley: There is always something of interst to see and do, though I guess deep sky imagers may think differently. It sometimes just means losing a little sleep now and again. An alternative of course is to buy yourself a Solar telescope and start observing the Sun. In HAlpha there is always lots of activity and change to see.

I started a couple of weeks ago - it's fantastic to be out there again. :) I have an interest in DSOs; planets and Lunar study does not interest me much at the moment. Therefore it has to be dark, hence the slight hiatus from late June to early August.

Am up in Scotland was first summer since I've started observing, nights in June/July just didn't even get dark at all, so seemed more like a end of the season. Have had a few darks nights last few weeks good dark skies as its in a rural area so been happy days :)

My astronomical season begins when it's dark enough at the zenith to see fainter objects by 10pm. It ends when it's next too light to see faint things at 10pm. However, it's still usually dark enough for observing/imaging the Moon even around the summer solstice.

David

There isn't a Winter Equinox, there is an Autumn Equinox and a Winter Solstice. :BangHead:

View basically whenever it proves possible and worthwhile.

A rough guide is equinox to equinox, or when the time is GMT not BST, but as the skies are fairly dark at a reasonable time now it will be whenever the oppertunity presents itself.

I don't see it as a seasonal thing, I observe when weather and time permits. I only started in May and I've been out plenty of times with the scope, this is a time when many pack away their gear ?? I don't really see why seeing the amount I have already seen in that time under average skies, and to think better skies are coming, it can only get better. Equinox or Solstice will not dictate for me, though clouds will :smiley:

I agree with that Paul. By the time it gets dark I'm tired. I work hard and also have a medical condition which saps my energy all the time and I'm pretty much ready for bed by 11 every day. It's a rarity for me to stay up past midnight unless im observing already before 10 and got carried away. I'll almost never go out at 11 and set up.

That's one thing I like about the winter is going home at 4 and being out observing by 5 and stay out till I go to bed

I don't think of it as seasons as such but August does have a feel of a refreshing start after a period of less activity with the scope/camera. No particular date. I guess as soon as the first full moon is over with near the end of July beginning of August.

I have noticed here that over the last week or so the nights have been considerably colder than in July or even the start of this month. I shan't be spending too long observing in shorts and a t-shirt now :)

James

Archived