NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How is everyone else doing meteor spotting?

mikey32shaw

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same here Jake.

The Milky Way is on show tonite - VERY rare for where we live.

Saw the ISS glide it's way over earlier, and seen a few meteors so far.

Hi Cath,

should be about time for another pass of the ISS around now - caught it in the bins earlier this evening! Got some good data on M27 and hope to have a pop at the SN in M74 if the sky stays clear in to the wee small hours.

Have a good night - Jake

I've been out for fifteen minutes or so to take advantage of a gap in the clouds. I must have seen at least one a minute, including a beautiful long trail from one heading south west through Lyra. Sadly the cloud has now completely covered the sky. Clearly it has not read the Met Office forecast :(

James

Think I saw that one too, tail was huge! It came from Cassiopea and stretched across to Cygnus/Lyra

Down on the Purbeck peninsula, up at Durlston Head and back at the campsite the children and I have seen around 40 or 50 I reckon despite some patchy cloud. Some very bright with lovely trails, and some very faint. Last night was clearer and we got around 10 or so. Dark sky makes all the difference, plus no clouds of course!!

Stu

Seen 9 with direct vision, 9 averted :). Really stunning, but strangely none of them have been in the constellation Perseus...

Oh, and it's clouded over. Work in the morning too...

They are unlikely to be in Perseus Jonathan. That is the radiant point where they appear to come from. They appear all over the sky, but you can trace a path back to the radiant. We saw a few sporadics tonight which just go in random directions.

Stu

They are unlikely to be in Perseus Jonathan. That is the radiant point where they appear to come from. They appear all over the sky, but you can trace a path back to the radiant. We saw a few sporadics tonight which just go in random directions.

Stu

That explains it, thanks Stu :).

Stu

I did wonder about that! Lovely viewing here, but bed is calling!

Had a fantastic nights viewing. As said in previous posts milky way was visible, not seen that in many a year. Spent about 1.5 hours with the dob. It's only the third night out with it since I bought it & the first two times the cloud came after about 30mins, so have not had much time to acclimatise to it. That is now rectified. What a piece of kit it is too.

The ISS passed through my eyepiece so fast it made me jump. I got to see the Andromeda galaxy for the first time. WOW! The milky way through a 25mm eyepiece was just mind blowing. Now going to have to get a 2" wide view eyepiece. I would be a mug not to wouldn't I.

I then put the scope away, made myself a pint of tea under red light not spoil the night vision. Grabbed the chair from shed & sat in garden pint of tea in one hand, rollup in the other & watched the most amazing assault on our atmosphere. It certainly turned out to be a night to remember & one I will never forget.

The down side is I now have a real bad urge to wanna start astrophotography & I really can't afford it.

I was out watching until 1.30 whilst playing with my scopes and recent eyepiece purchases....

I was amazed at just how brightly some burned across the sky. One seemed to have two parallel trails close to each other. It actually made me wonder if it was a plane coming down!

Wahey. Saw 9 with 3 absolutely huge. With one of them I could have sworn I heard the fizzle etc... the trail seemed burned into the sky, took a few seconds to clear.

Anyway, great night!

I actually saw flakes of black ash after a frizzle during a Perseid shower a few years back. I couldn't find any fragments though.

Archived