Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How is everyone else doing meteor spotting?

mikey32shaw

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the half hour of clear skies I had, between 1 and 2am I managed to catch about 10, possibly 15... most were fleeting, faint meteors, but 2 or 3 were very bright and left clear trails behind.

The Milky Way was a treat tonight, a lot of detail visible with the naked eye. But towards the top of the hour a weather front started moving in, and I had to locate the cat (who decided to go on an epic voyage through people's gardens), which broke my concentration a bit.

Not as good as the one a few years back, where we had near perfect conditions... no Moon, and crystal clear skies all night. I must have seen at least 30 fireballs that night, and countless regular meteors.

I remember watching one shower as a kid when I saw and heard a fireball explode... that was quite a spectacle. It came in from the North and streaked across the Eastern sky, making a thunderous crackle as it came in, followed by an almighty boom. There was a strong smell of sulfur after which lingered for about a minute... I'll never forget that.

I went out and saw two in the space of about a minute. Went to go and get missus and we saw nothing for about 10 minutes, then a really bright red looking one.

Good show.

Woke up with a sore neck - will ha e to get a sun lounger for next year :)

I lost counted them but lost count after 24 . I saw some nice long bright ones greenish trails, The previous 2 years we were clouded out here for the maximum so it was nice to see them. The light pollution has grown , which is so sad, mostly noticeable to my West. Next month the Council intendto reduce street lighting after midnight so iI hope this will reduce the glow. But with an enormous new housing estate to be built very soon the prospects of starry nights are dimming fast. (

The I saw about 20 all in all last night with a couple of big ones thrown in , so not a bad result . :smiley:

The Problem is it is now time for work and I am so sleepy :grin: this is going to be a struggle :Envy:

I feel a little disappointed as we only saw three from 11.30 pm till 2.00am. This is the first time the weather has been reasonably clear here over the past few years. Never mind, all very enjoyable just the same, there is to-night and of course next year, weather permitting :)

I feel a little disappointed as we only saw three from 11.30 pm till 2.00am. This is the first time the weather has been reasonably clear here over the past few years. Never mind, all very enjoyable just the same, there is to-night and of course next year, weather permitting :)

I'm really surprised by that John. Although there was plenty of cloud here I could pretty much not help but see them. I even saw a couple through the window when I woke up in the middle of the night.

James

I went out with my brother and sister, set up the imaging gear and had a stab at Andromeda (went badly sadly I think because of LP). Left the kit running for 90 minutes and sat watching the sky. We probably saw between 20 and 30 with one or two that were the most spectacular I'd ever seen.

The sky was beautiful last night.

Absolutely great evening out last night - out early enough to catch the Moon and Saturn, then meteor spotting from early on as the skies darkened to a cracking view of the Milky Way. Great being out with our astronomy group - it was like being at a firework display with oohs and aahs every time a meteor was spotted - some cracking ones, with long-lasting trails. Kids were happy as they had camp beds to lie on (they reckon they spotted over 100 between 9.30 and 12.30), I was happy as I could get some decent telescope time to myself, and OH was happy as he had beer and a chair to watch from :grin:

Absolutely great evening out last night - out early enough to catch the Moon and Saturn, then meteor spotting from early on as the skies darkened to a cracking view of the Milky Way. Great being out with our astronomy group - it was like being at a firework display with oohs and aahs every time a meteor was spotted - some cracking ones, with long-lasting trails. Kids were happy as they had camp beds to lie on (they reckon they spotted over 100 between 9.30 and 12.30), I was happy as I could get some decent telescope time to myself, and OH was happy as he had beer and a chair to watch from :grin:

I think over 100 during a three-hour period is quite feasible. It would have been nice to get everyone out in the garden here to watch, but they were off early this morning for a few days at grandparents so a late night wasn't practical.

James

Think I saw that one too, tail was huge! It came from Cassiopea and stretched across to Cygnus/Lyra

I saw a couple like this only a few minutes apart around 1 am . Bit too cool to get the sunbed out though so went to bed

I saw 8 between 3 and 4am, and three satellites. The best meteor was to the east/left of pegassus moving away from it to the east. very bright and ended in a sudden flash. Another I saw seemed not to move at all, where exactly was the radiant? (if that's what it's called) because it could have been one very close to it.

I was clouded out last night. At 12:30am there was a small break in the clouds above the house and i saw 1 meteor heading roughly north to south. Then the gap filled in and it just got cloudier as the night went on. I gave up checking the cloud situation at 1:20am and went to bed.

Typical meteor weather really.

I'm really surprised by that John. Although there was plenty of cloud here I could pretty much not help but see them. I even saw a couple through the window when I woke up in the middle of the night.

James

Hi James, here in Yorkshire we had large patches of cotton wool floating across every 15-20 mins or so, may have accounted for some being missed. Maybe I retired a little early at 2.00am, its the age thing you know. I shall look out for reports from my neck of the woods :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I was on holiday Ireland the last two weeks and on the 12 Aug I went up Mount Leinster with my mate Jim got there at 11.30 pm and stayed till 1.30am and saw 24 meteors. One was realley bright and left a trail for about 3 or4 seconds it was very dark and we could see the milky way really bright the clouds came and went. we had to leave because Jim had to go to work in the morning a great shame as we would stayed longer. Johannes

Archived