Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How is everyone else doing meteor spotting?

mikey32shaw

Well been in southern Spain on my hols and been out the last three nights hoping for a few decent meteors. After all this time I've seen ONE. How is everyone else doing I know tonight is being reported as being the peak so hoping for more.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I've seen a borderline one here in light polluted Portsmouth, but it could have been a moth.

Will have another try tonight if this ruddy cloud lets up.

On a positive note, all this standing about outside after dusk has introduced me to a bat that likes to hunt in my garden, I call him Barry.

I saw a fair few last week, but the weather has not been kind for the last few days. The forecast on the Met Office website for 7pm onwards tonight was clear sky here. At 7:30pm they changed the "forecast" to cloudy. Yes, even I can get it right if I wait and look out of the window :( I'm not entirely convinced that it won't be cloudy all night looking at the huge region of cloud drifting towards us from the north Atlantic on sat24 :(

James

had a very good night Saturday at the North Essex Society's annual picnic where we spotted many meteors. Some bright and fast leaving trails and right now the peak has just passed with the count rising steadily early evening, so....hopefully if the sky clears around 1am other should still be quite a few as Perseus will be very high by then so who is going to look out tonight? ))

Was out with some of our group on Friday night, We all got loads between us, a couple of bright orange trails included, I got over 20, all fast white ones. On nightshift tonight so I'll pop out during my break if its clear and look for more.

I've been out for fifteen minutes or so to take advantage of a gap in the clouds. I must have seen at least one a minute, including a beautiful long trail from one heading south west through Lyra. Sadly the cloud has now completely covered the sky. Clearly it has not read the Met Office forecast :(

James

Good night tonight in Northampton. Had the scope out earlier, Saturn still visible, and caught M51 before going out meteor spotting in the car. Found a good dark sight and spotted 8 or 9 meteors, and a courting couple who had found the same spot and quickly disappeared when we arrived - Phil

Archived