First Post Here

Neil in West Jersey

I've always had an interest in astronomy, but the only telescope I ever owned was a cheap Tasco refracting scope until I picked up a used reflector scope last weekend for $10. "Doesn't work" I was told, but once I got it home and took off the lens cap it worked great! It has all of the original optics and filters, but it was missing the star finder scope, which I've ordered from eBay. It's not exactly a quality scope, but I'm pretty excited about it!

I'm also a hardcore metal detecting enthusiast and have found some great colonial coins and artifacts. My best find (for you numismatists) was a rare 1795 Flowing Hair Half Dime.

I've spent the last 10+ years making spectacular terrestrial finds with my metal detectors, now I'm ready to make some extraterrestrial finds!

post-31495-0-48939500-1376013617_thumb.j

Hello and welcome to SGL,

I am sure you will have many great hours of wonder using your scope. :lipsrsealed:

Should you have any questions please remember there is a vast wealth of experience within this forum, so please do not hesitate to ask and I am sure the members will be happy to assist

Shaun :grin:

IWelcome!

Sounds great, and have fun with your telescope :-)

Is it a 76/700 reflector/newtonian on a not-so-sturdy tripod with the threaded rod at the side?

I started with the same thing, and if you invest 4£/5€ at a hardware store you can build a sturdy mount, plus 10-30£/€ for some eyepieces later that really make a difference.

Even with these small telescopes, Saturn's rings, Jupiter's moons and the moon look stunning at 100x or even 140x magnification. Also some deepsky is possible (ring nebula, Plejads, m44, orion nebula, dumbbell nebula, andromeda galaxy, and even more if you are willing to observe faint dots with little details ;-) )

I hope you get hooked the same way as I did, it's an amazing hobby, and if you have the chance check if there are any local groups/observatories. It's amazing what telescopes with more aperture show.

Hi Neil and welcome to the forum. I have done a bit of metal detecting in the past and have been fortunate to find some nice pieces such as Roman horseshoes etc which I gladly donated to the city museum - exciting stuff but haven't found my fortune!

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Archived