SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ISS makes a return (UK)

starman1969

Looking forward to the ISS returning to our night skies. There are plenty of passes over the next couple of weeks, also coinciding with the Perseids as well.

I'm hoping to get some more shots similar to this one I took last time it was around but clear skies are much needed.

post-15011-0-82035000-1375706843_thumb.j

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can (i dont) control my mount using stellarium and pick targets for the scope to follow, could i not use Stellarium to track the ISS and photograph it? The only method ive seenis DIons machine gun method but if you target ISS in stellarium would the scope not follow it?

I can (i dont) control my mount using stellarium and pick targets for the scope to follow, could i not use Stellarium to track the ISS and photograph it? The only method ive seenis DIons machine gun method but if you target ISS in stellarium would the scope not follow it?

I doubt if the slew speeds on the scope could keep up with it. Naked eye it doesnt seem to be going uuber fast and it can be tracked with bins and probably manually with a Dob.

I used to track it with my CPC800... The fork mounted scope on a wedge doesn't need to do a meridian flip...

I used to use the sattracker software it's iportant to have the very latest orbital elements (TLE'S) and accurate time setting on the Mount controlling computer..

You also neede to do dummy runs in advance to check for cable snags etc...

Peter...

Sent from my GT-P7300 using Tapatalk 4

I used to track it with my CPC800... The fork mounted scope on a wedge doesn't need to do a meridian flip...

I used to use the sattracker software it's iportant to have the very latest orbital elements (TLE'S) and accurate time setting on the Mount controlling computer..

You also neede to do dummy runs in advance to check for cable snags etc...

Peter...

Sent from my GT-P7300 using Tapatalk 4

I'm guessing different scopes have different slew speeds. Ive just seen a C14 in action and its much faster then my SE8. Maybe i need to ramp up the flux capacitor on my scope.

It often seems to be well positioned around this time of year, anyone know why, and if it is always the case?

I notice because I often go in holiday camping in August and it is regularly on view.

Stu

Yes i was lucky to have seen it twice last night,the first pass i was just setting up and just loked up and there it was very bright.

Second one i just popped back out to see how the subs were going and just changing camera position when it passed over and i just managed to get it on one of my subs,so very lucky. :laugh:

I saw it last night, too.

I'm sure it's possible to track it even with an EQ mount if you can get the correct tracking data. There have been previous threads about it here and I'm sure I've seen a youtube video of someone doing so.

James

Looking forward to seeing it again too. I showed the wife the last time and she was like "oh right, can I go back in now". I give up! lol.

My daughter and I watched it go over last night around 22:15, and the night before. Always amazes me.

I asked the wife if she was coming to take a look. She said no as she's already seen it once, weeks ago... Mind you, I show the same level of interest in shoes and handbags...

1375946687' post='2009270']

My daughter and I watched it go over last night around 22:15, and the night before. Always amazes me.

I asked the wife if she was coming to take a look. She said no as she's already seen it once, weeks ago... Mind you, I show the same level of interest in shoes and handbags...

I think I saw that, it looked like a very bright star travelling very fast, west to east, maybe slightly north east. Much brighter than vega.

I think I saw that, it looked like a very bright star travelling very fast, west to east, maybe slightly north east. Much brighter than vega.

Sounds like it. It's very bright, tends to travel in the direction you suggest and crosses the sky perhaps a little faster than a high aeroplane.

James

Sounds like it. It's very bright, tends to travel in the direction you suggest and crosses the sky perhaps a little faster than a high aeroplane.

James

definitely wasn't a plane. You'll laugh at this, I phoned my wife, who'd just gone to bed, made her jump out of her skin, she was sitting on the loo, but she did manage to glimpse it out of a window as it disappeared towards the horizon.

Did I just see it tonight around 11pm? West to East, like a bright Jupiter. Couldn't make out any detail in my bins, just too bright.

Yes, just checked on satellite safari. I also saw it whilst sitting out at 9.30, so it did a complete orbit of the earth in 2.5 hours.

Archived