Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC 1396 The Elephant's Trunk nebula, Hubble palette

x6gas

I took some Ha of this last month but wasn't happy with the framing so decided to start again. I've processed this in the Hubble palette using a new (to me) workflow and it seems to give better results... well it did on this data, anyway!

S[iI] 11 x 1200s

Ha 12 x 1200s

O[iII] 12 x 1200s

Scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Cameras: Atik 490ex (Ha & OIII); Atik 460ex (SII)

Mount: CGEM DX

Guiding: Atik OAG, QHY IMG0H, PHD

gallery_11821_2457_59019.png

Hope you like. I am quite pleased with this one, but as always, comments and suggestions for improvement very welcome.

Cheers, Ian

I think this has come out rather well - The colours are subtle, no nasty green (!!) and nice and smooth showing the dust detail. A most pleasing HST palette :smiley:

Don't think there's something that divides imagers as much as the Hubble palette!!

That's a lovely image - nice colours and good detail :)

Having originally hated it, I am now a fan of the hubble palette and I like this one very much. Lovely subtle colours.

Dave

Yes, me too :)

Having originally hated it, I am now a fan of the hubble palette and I like this one very much. Lovely subtle colours.

Dave

Yeah, I'm of a similar mind, Dave. It can look really garish too, so I have tried to keep this toned down a bit. Thanks for your kind comments.

I also hated Hubble palette, still hate it, but your image does not show the greens; so nicely done, may be a bit more contrast to take the trunk from background.

Mark

Thanks Mark. The workflow I used here brought out the blues much more easily and I didn't have to use HLVG on this. I know what you mean about contrast; the processed image did lack contrast - I think because I used a false luminance layer and there is a lot of Ha in the background which is quite homogeneous so I may go back and boost the contrast in that, and / or do some selective contrast enhancement around the trunk.

Ian: being picky, at first i didnt like the composition....but after a 2nd and 3rd look, i really like this widefield! beautiful colours and crisp as the taq will give image...well done!

bob

Thanks Bob - and fair comment about the composition. The whole nebula is so big - and therefore there are so many ways to go... but in part I chose this as might have a first try at a mosaic at some point... probably only in Ha, though (at least as a first step).

I think this has come out rather well - The colours are subtle, no nasty green (!!) and nice and smooth showing the dust detail. A most pleasing HST palette :smiley:

Thanks Sara. I gave this a go using my standard process and it looked awful; just couldn't get anything decent out of it. This version has both SII and OIII augmented with 20% of the Ha and then a false luminance added (at full strength - might have to look at that again to see if I can apply it better in iterations) and this is what popped out. None of my usual green, and no need for HLVG... Reasonably star colour too, for a narrowband combine. Happy days!

Don't think there's something that divides imagers as much as the Hubble palette!!

Yes, you've got that right! I think I'll try this in the CFHT palette too, just to see what it's like...

It's come out very well Ian - well worth the investment of time, I see you're doing 20 min subs as well which is impressive! You've got the colour balance very nice and the processing is spot-on. The hubble palette is very flexible and I'm a big fan of this, lots of variations on hues are possible which opens up opportunities to put your personal stamp on a colour outcome. Look forward to seeing your next images though, they are getting better & better!

Martin

It's come out very well Ian - well worth the investment of time, I see you're doing 20 min subs as well which is impressive! You've got the colour balance very nice and the processing is spot-on. The hubble palette is very flexible and I'm a big fan of this, lots of variations on hues are possible which opens up opportunities to put your personal stamp on a colour outcome. Look forward to seeing your next images though, they are getting better & better!

Martin

Thanks Martin. Your encouragement and advice mean a lot; actually it was your image that gave me the impetus to get a full Ha/SII/OIII on this, so thanks for the inspiration!. I've come a long way in the couple of years I've been imaging, but there is so much to learn, and so many ways to process the data.

Yes, I went for 20 minute subs on this. The mount is used to guiding at ~ 2000mm focal length with the SCT so it's wonderful to switch the Tak in and see a lovely flat guide graph!

Thanks again.

Lovely delicate rendition of the Hubble palette Ian, much prefer it to the more lurid approach!

Thanks, much appreciated. Still consider myself new to this, really (two years in, so maybe I'd better stop saying that, but still very much a learner!) and I find the colour balance the hardest thing to judge. When you've been staring at the image for hours making small, incremental adjustments it's hard to decide what you like, but I too am very much tending towards slightly more muted colours than some...

Nice work there Ian. A wider FOV than my version so lots going on there.

Thanks Freddie - yes a lot going on in a very big nebula!

excellent

how did you made this pinpoint stars?

Thanks kruska.

The guiding on this was pretty tight, although the focus drifted out slightly during the capture sessions. One of the benefits of narrowband imaging is that the stars are tighter, though. The emission lines that come from the gas in the nebula are actually absorption lines in the stars so the stars emit less light at these specific wavelengths and it's a double benefit for increasing contrast.

Cheers, Ian

Archived